Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EGR Valve - replace or blank off?

Options
  • 25-08-2023 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a 2016 Opel Insignia 1.6CDTi. The engine light came on recently and diagnostics check by mechanic showed it's the EGR valve.

He initially recommended having it blanked off and the ECU reprogrammed at a cost of €250.

He also said it could be replaced at a cost of €315.

Just wondering what the downsides of blanking it are - e.g. could it cause car to fail NCT emissions test?

Reading online, it seems car can actually perform better without EGR, and at least it couldn't fail again if its not there, so tempted to go for that option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Timfy

Hands up, I have no experience with this model but I would imagine that the NOx emissions may go above the NCT thresholds...

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭blueskys

Have done it with a 2012 passat. Will not fail nct as they don't check for it. Worth doing if you are going to hold on to the car .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

Diesels don’t get tested for emissions.

The car should run a lot smoother without it and there will be no negative consequences down the line, as long as your okay with knowing your car is probably slightly worse for the environment as it was before, then I would get rid of it, as I have done before in the past.

Just make sure its done properly by a remapping company

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Timfy

"Diesels don’t get tested for emissions."

This is why no one should ever take my advice, I type quicker than I think!!! 🤣

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭spakman

Cheers, I have an EV as well, so already doing my bit for the environment 😉

I think I'll go with that so!

Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Couple of points.

As said it will absolutely pass the NCT, for now. That may change, who knows.

Diagnosing cars with electrical faults that have had bits mapped out previously can be a pain in the hole.

Finally, NOx isn't bad for the environment, it's humans it damages.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭Shoog

NOx are the precursors to smog and are damaging to all life including plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Could he not clean it i had mine cleaned on my avensis been fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭spakman

He didn't mention that as an option tbh. Is it a big job? Maybe people prefer to just get rid of it altogether when it gives trouble seeing as it doesn't seem to be of any benefit to the running of the car (leaving emissions aside)

Advertisement