Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Has anyone listened to the new Kilkenny Hurling Podcast that KCLR have brought out the last few weeks? I give out a lot about the coverage KCLR give Kilkenny GAA but this is a welcome addition in fariness, they do a team of the week for the senior games too which is good too. Hopefully the coverage and promotion CRKC have given the last few years have made KCLR up their game! For anyone who didn't hear it last week the senior team of the week was

Stephen Murphy (O'Loughlins)

Shane Murphy (Glenmore)

Tom Aylward (Mullinavat)

Eoin Fennelly (Boro)

David Fogarty (O'Loughlins)

Eoin Murphy (Glenmore)

Timmy Clifford (Boro)

Luke Scanlon (Village)

Kevin Blanchfield (Bennettsbridge)

Aaron McEvoy (GBC)

Mossy Keoghan (Tullaroan)

Adrian Mullen (Shamrocks)

Mark Bergin (O'Loughlins)

Andy Gaffney (Boro)

Ian Byrne (Glenmore)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The_Tank

Yes it's great to hear discussion on Kilkenny hurling. I have subscribed to the pod and I'm enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Yeah I think it's good in fairness, I think if they had another couple of lads on with the current 2 presenters it would be even better but it is enjoyable and good to get discussions going on the local championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭hogans heroes

2nd round of senior camogie this weekend.

Village to br st martins

Windgap to bt conahy

Tullarooan to bt young irelands

Dicksboro to bt thomastown

Piltown to bt barrow rangers

St brigids to bt clara.

Probably be completely wrong as some really tight matches last week and martins and clara didnt play so dont know where their at.

Decent results coming in from U15 and U16 in the under age finals in Waterford. U16 Michael Foley tournament win and an U15 Arrabawn Shield win. U14 Tony Forristal Shield win over Cork Team 2. Cork had 4 almost equally strong teams in that age group.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Good day for KK development squads. best results for a long time. Obviously a lot of hard work put in and congratulations to all involved. Things can turn around quickly when the effort is made. It probably takes a lot of bad results to give a kick in the arse to the county board to actually get up and start moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

While great to be winning, wouldn't get too carried away. Tipp pulled out of U16 because of tradegy last night. U15A didn't qualify for cup competition so entered the shield and U14s won Shield

Tipp beat Kilkenny by a point in the U14 and won the Cup by 2 points over Cork team 1. So all very close there.

You have to start with the underage. Every county is putting so much in. The U14 first trial games started last November. They had their Core work programmes from December/January. Mostly 13 year olds.

Just to compete so much has to be put in with very young chaps. After 9 months work they break up now. Fair play to parents for all the driving around the county and from April on to other counties for matches. So many are culled from panels and you hope these lads don't lose heart as they are all developing at different rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

• Advertisement

Flesh and blood you are dead right no one should feel washed up at this stage and that there is every chance of improvement and to make the panels the following year or the year after hope is always a driving force. I still think Ciaran Muldowney had it right that before the development squads there should be coaching development for all U14s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Why are there 5 teams in one group and 8 in the other group in the camogie?

Tipp and Cork seemed to have multiple teams were these all in the “A” competition. The whole new structure is confusing at U14

There's not, there are 4 groups of 3 that play cross over games, in othewards teams in group A play the teams in group B and teams in C play teams in D(so ypu dont play anyone in ypur group)seems totally bonkers and dont know how they came up with the format.2 groups of 6 playing 5 games surely should have been the way to go, alsoi with this format some teams have 2 home games and only 1 away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That’s as clear as mud.

I’m just wondering did the GAA stick its oar in here to make a balls of something that had worked well for years, and I’m not just talking U14 it’s all competitions at the weekend it’s hard to make head or tails of it all and it looks to have its fingerprints all over it.

Think every club in the county said the same, you can top your group or finish bottom of your group without playing anyone in your group, It was actually possible to win your group without winning a game.

Post edited by hogans heroes on

Are you talking about the camogie and Marrooned talking about the dev squads?

If you're talking about Cork having multiple teams then that was their choice as they decided they were losing too many players by going with the best team at 14 rather than retaining multiple teams. I presume counties have started copying that arrangement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Tipp & Cork both had 3 teams in the Forrestal A but one Cork team was withdrawn due to the Jack O'Sullivan tragedy. The other 2 Cork teams & Tipp3 ended up in a playoff with Tipp3 knocking out Cork1 & Cork2 then knocking out Tipp3. Still with me? The other 2 Tipp teams met in the semi with the competition winner coming from that.

Im talking about the camogie, camogie so much better now the physicality is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its the crazy carry on for the last year. .....

One thing said at meeting, you go home with fixtures, and then a different set of fixtures and now, Groups appear....

Its crazy....... 'they' blame the split season......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Nothing to do with split season, this format should never happen again.

The development squads weekend was very successful and great for the young players. But I heard Cork or Galway didn’t field some of their “A” squads thus demeaning the whole competition, if true this is an absolute disgrace and shows arrogance beyond belief and could result in these competitions being abandoned. But hopefully this will backfire on these counties like it did with Cork in the U20 championship two years ago when they said they wouldn’t need their senior players. This situation is an insult to the organisers of these events which I’m sure is a logistical nightmare every year and they don’t need that situation. On the other hand if things were just, it would be great not to invite them anymore

Good Christ what are you on about?How does Cork and Galway choosing not to group their 14-16 year olds into A and B teams rather than trying to group them evenly to maximise the opportunity of developing more players display arrogance rather than forward planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Agree, Cork maintain they are losing too many players to other sports who were not making the "A" squad. So if the new format works for them more power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Weekend

Up to each individual county how they develop their teams,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Those images for the weekends matches at the 3 grades are really handy.

Advertisement