Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond The Pale Festival - 10th-12th June - Glendalough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Landers11

I see campervan tickets already sold out for next year. Do they usually release more over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Fanirish

They did this year after sorting handful more out through insurance cover.

might be a few more with non early bird but will be gone instantly.

the amount of people with campers has gone crazy but insurance/fire hazard concerns make it so expensive to allow alot

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Landers11

Looks like it will be body and soul so if they don't allow any more campers

First acts announced for next year. Pretty much just acts that played either forbidden fruit or ATN this year

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭phizzledizzle

Certainly enough there for me to buy a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Aside from Gilla Band not good.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

It’s a 10k festival so expectations need to be limited

This is Ireland. My expectations are always limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

A little bit disappointing after this years stellar lineup. 808 State the only ones standing out for me or haven't seen at a festival here recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭phizzledizzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Phishwax

All acts that have played recently. Nothing exciting here

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭TenPicnics

Very underwhelmed with that announcement. I know it's early days, but unless at least one seriously tempting act is added I won't be back to BTP. Thought it was just about OK this year, thanks to a few great performances and the good atmosphere/festival soundness of punters. The venue layout, however, was bad, plonking mostly everything in one big field, a waste of what should be a spectacular location. I'll be interested to see what Body & Soul offer for 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jellybeano

Same about 808 State. And the 2022 lineup was also incredible too... Orbital, Bonobo, Fourtet, Haai.

The 2024 lineup needs a few hard hitters…… Bicep, Overmono etc and maybe a bit of Death in Vegas, Timo Mass or whoever you fancy yourself for the nostalgia acts. (Just randomly listing acts here before anyone jumps on me about future tour dates/ costs etc ✌️)

In all in anyways, have tickets and will be going regardless 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Jungle as a headliner?

Makes me relieved I didn't buy an early bird for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Yeah it is strange, they headed ATN and also have a whole day at UKs all points east fest.

But yes, not heads imo

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Definitely missing a WOW name (it may be coming later on sure) and it suffers from a majority of those acts - good as they are - having played here recently

Parra for Cuva are a good booking all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Not too bad of an initial announcement, Jesse Ware, Gilla Band, 808 State and Kelly Lee Owens are all good acts, Jungle are grand, wouldn't be a huge fan but good craic for a festival if nothing else is on, Daithi the same. Not too familiar with the others so will have to give them a listen.

JungleJessie WareNova Amor and Kelly Lee Owens – all of whom will be playing their only Irish shows next summer at BTP

I really enjoyed Kelly Lee Owens at ATN this year on Sunday night in the SKofW marquee, and Jessie was very enjoyable in the afternoon at ATN main stage earlier that weekend. Jungle and Nova Amor are OK. But none of them is a proper headliner, even for a 10k festival, unless the ticket price is much cheaper. BTP this year had a better first go at the line-up, including Grace Jones, and it was good-ish (Ms Jones was excellent). I really disliked the thoughtless layout of the festival, the lack of "stuff" going on apart from the stage acts, and the lack of covered areas for the inevitable rain. With the first acts revealed for BTP 2024 theres no way I'd consider going to BTP again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 FriendlySpider

Not sure if anyone else knows but the Glendalough Estate will be turned into a similar asylum accommodation to Stradbally for 32 weeks starting from Nov 20th.

So not sure how Beyond the pale will go aheah, well at that location anyway. Wonder if they will move location or cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

Yes, if I'm not mistaken that contract runs up to Sunday 30th June... It's a large estate for sure so most likely the asylum accommodation will be in a separate area but still, seems like a very odd mix. And won't help any applications for late night licences...

local Community were annoyed about BTP from prior years and add in Ukrainian refugee accommodation as well i wouldn’t be surprised if beyond is moved.

or maybe they are hoping the refugee accom contract will end early.

Second line up announcement coming next week

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Fingers crossed for some more inspiring names than those already announced

It would take something really special to tempt me back to ATN after last year, and for me this year's line up is weaker so far than last year. I thought it didn't feel like a festival, and strangely, despite being in Glendalough, you never really saw any beautiful surroundings when at the location, unlike other festivals. Essentially everything music/drink/etc was in one long sunken field area, with very little going on a lot of the time. Protection from the not unexpected rain was minimal. A pricey ticket compared to what was actually provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

100% all the above. I thought BTP was curiously "atmosphere-less" which is some feat to achieve given how nice the crowd was and there were some decent acts including Grace Jones. This was strange as I remember a few Halloweens ago going to a dance festival nearer Glendalough House itself which was great.

Everything at BTP was at the end of one long field all squashed into one corner and the sound bleed between stages was terrible. I suspect this design was to stop complaints from residents as I could see a newish housing estate right beside the car park. It was also gloomy, dark and cold despite being June; the location of the field is up against a hill and thick forest so it felt overshadowed and overall a bit miserable. If Jessie Ware is doing a headline set I'll head down as I had tickets for her recent London show but couldn't travel. I wouldn't head down to BTP just for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I thought last year's festival was great. I'm actually very surprised to hear negative comments! I don't know what atmosphere is expected at this kind of festival. Most people were in their thirties and older so you didn't get many shenanigans or a similar vibe to other festivals with a younger crowd, which is a plus in my eyes.

I didn't notice much of a noise bleed. Maybe some, but nothing to diminish the experience.

The tree covered hill was really cool I thought. Better than just fast open fields. Plus the late DJ in the forest was a nice touch.

Also they can hardly be blamed for the weather! It turned out to be really nice after the first day of rain though.

Advertisement