Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Got a knock on the door from Flogas yesterday - they offered me these rates. It seems better than what BG are offering with their 44% off but still a good bit shy of the BWG offer.

Day 36.80 Peak 43.52 Night 28.68

Standing Charge (hefty) €372.00

30 day cooling off period which I like

Gas is 11.10 and Standing Charge of €220.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So, all you smart folks out there, tell me if this is a bad idea. I have a day / night meter and I use over 95% night rate. Should I just request a smart meter and go with this smart plan?

Huge saving even over the just closed again community Flogas offer. There are a few catches:

1 if you go over 1000kWh per billing period, the rate goes up to 11.7c

2 only valid between 2AM and 6AM (not a problem for me, I can charge my car and charge my battery then)

3 can never go back to day/night meter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d say hang on a few weeks @unkle. It doesn’t sound like you buy much energy in anyway so there’s no rush is there?

our house on the other hand is a different story. And I can’t seem to even get solar installers to give us a quote! Gutted water power aren’t taking anyone for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

Sorry, I completely misread your post. I see what you're saying. Thats crazy it works that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭zell12

That is a an excellent night rate and the standing charge is low €236.62pa. I'd wait another few weeks, as rumours there are price drops imminent from other suppliers.

• Advertisement

No rush @fits. Using zero gas nor electricity at the moment and my current contract with Energia is not up until 29th August anyway

One big elephant in the room though: after years of heating my water fully and my home mostly or partly with electricity, I would have to go back relying heavily on gas. Money was that's ok as gas is a lot cheaper than last year. Environmentally wise: not good. Also I have plans to go heat pump in the near future, air to water mini splits so maybe a COP of 2 or so and if a lot of that would be on the higher electricity rate, it would cost me a lot more than gas...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

You have the day/night smart meters being rolled out soon as well with a bit of luck.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Starting to roll out next month. Could easily be a year before I got one. Not going to wait for that unless there was more certainty on the time scale of the rollout.

And I expect day / night plans as we have now, will soon be a thing of the past and won't be offered anymore for anyone renewing who has a smart meter (either type)

Also requested callback from Pinergy as their 5c electricity rate is very attractive (3 hours per day) plus a €100 welcome credit. Now the 3 hours a day is pushing it for me and that 3 hours must be unlimited for it to make sense. Will report back here when I hear back...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Why do you think D/N plans will be abolished when they're specifically replacing old type D/N meters with a different smart meter to the ones that replaced the old 24hr meter. I thought by doing this they were safeguarding the position of the D/N customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The plan is for every meter to go smart, regardless.

The only reason they are doing it is that they can't force D/N customers onto a smart plan while they are still in contract. So they have to change the meter first, the customer can continue with their D/N plan. Until renewal. Then they can renew again with a new D/N plan IF those are still available. But nobody might offer them anymore in the very near future. That is my expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I currently have an electronic (RM258) D/N meter & I will be opting out of having it replaced with the smart meter version when offered. I appreciate that if my current meter becomes faulty I won't have any lotion but to accept the smart meter version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I have had to chase up with them multiple times due to several issues with both gas and electricity. Initially the wrong rates had been applied, one rate was corrected. They said they’d been resolved and some still haven’t. Despite submitting a meter reading when applying for the new electricity rate they didn’t backdate it (they did for gas), meaning a higher rate was applied for over two weeks before the contract kicked in.

I understand that, the meters can all be changed for smart meters but the decision to pick your plan should still lie with the customer.

Did you tick the box to defer the cooling off period? I've changed providers several times over the years and the reading I gave was always used by the new provider, Flogas being no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

For gas, Flogas used Bord Gais last reading and my reading for first bill. Second bill is an estimated bill of 0kWh :) No joke.

Switched mid June and haven't got an electric bill yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'm very same as yourself. 'with SSE - was on 35/35. There offer for this year is a 10/10 discount. I put the details into Bonkers and Switcher and only showing a small saving on Yuno for electric and no savings on gas. Gonna hang on for a while and see if the Flogas offer comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

I dont think its in the very near future. I don't think the plan would be to stop offering them and forcing people onto smart plans that way.

Personally I think the following will happen. The 24 hour plans will be at peak time pricing. The Day/Night plans will have the same night rate but the day rate will be peak time pricing.

People with D/N meters are not the issue from a grid perspective as they are likely to use less electricity during peak hours.

The plan is to get people on ToU tariffs in the medium term future, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

I'm with you guys. 33/33 with SSE. We're on their budget plan so every month we pay €164 for both utilities. It's gonna kill us paying more than that. The EAB for some offers are crazy - I know it's estimated and our usage should be lower than that.

Hoping prices drop as we're out of contract next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

No, my gas was switched in three days. I was already a Flogas customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I wouldnt use the EAB differences. If you can, work out your usage for both your electric and gas. You'll have a much better idea that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If the peak rate on smart plans was the same as the 24hr rate or the day rate on nightsaver, with night rates being the same on both, you'd see a lot more moving to the smart plans. You'd also need the ability to move back to a 24hr/Nightsaver plan if desired but I don't think anybody would take them up on that offer

@bren2001 - we will have to wait and see who turns out to be right 😁

Just off the phone to Pinergy and they confirm the 5c rate is incl. VAT and unlimited, no fair use policy. This rate is variable, but the discount percentage is fixed, so it's about a 90% discount on the full rate. So if the full rate would double to €1 per kWh, this night rate for 3 hours would still only go up to 10c. I can only imagine this is a worst case scenario. Also €100 welcome bonus

Very tempted to get myself a normal smart meter asap and sign up for this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tried to sign up to Yuno but balked when they tried to foist a smart meter on me. Their tariff looks just like an ordinary non-smart one on their site but when you try to sign up they insist on changing it.

I'm assuming they need a smart meter to get the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

I got my meter in about a month ago and my contract was up a couple of weeks later. They didnt allow me renew electricity plans with them except to go on a smart tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aleesi

I'm not sure to be honest if you "can't go back" (point 3). A smart meter is capable of work as 24h / DN / Smart meter... DN is in fact one of the use cases for an smart meter. I understand if some providers said otherwise (their IT systems were not ready) but changing the config at meter level is trivial for ESB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Here's my email from Flogas on the subject when I queried moving to a non smart tariff:

Hello loup

It is simply part of the transition of the whole network to smart meters and all new applications and renewals that have smart meters installed must have smart plans applied. Our sales team can inform a bit better on the subject if you give them a call on 0412149555; I am sorry I can’t be of more help.

Kind regards

SalesPerson Name

Customer Service - Back Office,

Flogas Natural Gas Ltd.

Advertisement