Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty sure it's the refresh of the OLED compared to LCD. The Ghosting on LCD adds a motion blur type effect. On an OLED it's very noticeable and looks particularly terrible when you are panning the camera slowly, it's very jerky and stuttery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yes.

The worst I've seen, via GamePass, Immortals Fenyx Rising. Brutal at 30 FPS on Series X and OLED but amazing visually at 60 FPS. Also Guardians of the Galaxy, stuttering away at 30 FPS.

AC Origins, Odyssey really look gorgeous in 60 FPS. Really noticeable when you dive from a high point into the blue sea for example.

4K is nice, but 60 FPS hits you in the feels. 😁 Mario Kart on Switch is lovely single player 60 FPS. Feel so right. Also, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Rayman Legends, ... the 60 FPS, top tier Switch games are wonderful, and they are 1080p max.

It's all very confusing though. If you are not careful or aware you can end up playing a game in the wrong mode for your display. Or play an older version, when a newer, better frame rate version exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I completely agree. I only have a 2060 Super at the moment so I'm under no illusions I'll be running at anything other than 1080P but that 60fps is far more important to me for immersion, I wouldn't consider 1440p 30fps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still have a 1070 and an i5 4670...will be lucky to play it at medium 😣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH maybe it's just a testament to how ridiculous PC specs have gotten for some games (in sync with the continued absurd pricing of GPUs) but a 'recommended' 2080 for Starfield actually seems semi-reasonable 😅 That's still a pretty high tier card, even two gens later.

A 2080 Super is the minimum for Immortals of Aveum, which is almost comical (goes without saying some lower-specced cards will 'play' the game... well, though?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You`ll be grand Id say - 1080p / 60 low or maybe even some settings at medium - a lot of these "minimum specs required" are fairly crap to be honest and over estimate too much.

Im sick of the whole "upgrade for the next AAA title crap" My R7 and 6700xt does me well enough. My RX580 lasted almost 8 years before I upgraded and the only reason I upgraded was it was starting to artifact in some games otherwise Id be holding out until my next full build.

As said earlier if I can get 1080 / 60 at low or medium Ill be happy.

Take BF2042 or BFV - for competitive play I set everything to low anyway - not that I get a chance to play much these days - same with Halo Infinite - My pc will run it at 1080p but my monitor (TV) is only 60hz so 1080/60 at high or very high is grand - turn off v sync and it`ll do 100+ FPS but tears the screen to bits.

Well, I'm officially excited about this game. The hype has gotten to me. May even switch on the XBox Series X soon and pre load it. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

In fairness switching between 30fps and 60fps on a console is still relatively new so some people will not be familiar with the big difference. Its true that in order to see the big difference you have to go from 60 to 30 with the same game but it's also fair to say that until you do this it's hard to see this big difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I get you. Ignorance is bliss and all but ignorance isn't an excuse for presenting nonsense as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but it's a fact for me. When I play a game at 60 fps and then 30fps on my console I just don't see any major difference .

You can't just dispute that as nonsense just because you can see it.

People also seem to be making out that games were rubbish/unplayable without 60fps and that for me is total nonsense. What did people think of games 10 years ago?

• Advertisement

Pretty much put up with it because there was no other choice but also recognised it wasn't ideal or else played on PC.

You might think it's ok but it's a mathematical fact that 30 FPS is twice the lag and half the responsiveness as 60 FPS.

I'm not sure how anyone can't notice it but then there's people that like Coldplay so there's no accounting for taste and personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is your PS5 set up to output at 60FPS and are you using a 60hz HDMI port on your TV?

You should definitely be able to see the difference.

That's actually a good point, a normal HDMI cable will default to 30 fps as it doesn't have the bandwidth to handle 60 fps at 4k. That could be why you don't notice it of you aren't using a 2.1 HDMI cable.

I never noticed frame rates on consoles until I wondered why Super Mario Galaxy on Wii was so fluid and Twilight Princess was clunky.

Not using a PS5, that's why I'm in a Starfield thread.

On Xbox Series X and using supplied 2.1HDMI Xbox Cable which is the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And is there a setting in the Xbox to output at 60FPS? Sorry not familiar with it myself but I think there's a test you run and it tells you what will output to the TV?

I think it will also depend what type of game you're playing.

Also, input lag, I get your point but you can't say that input lag is bad at 30FPS and compared to 60fps I think the few nanoseconds difference would be indiscernable.

Either way I don't except that a solid 30fps makes a game unplayable or unimmersive.

Also for the record. I don't like Coldplay.

Nope it wouldn't make games unplayable, anyone that says so is being hyperbolic, but the games will control and feel an awful lot better at 60 FPS. 20 FPS is when it gets intolerable and unfortunately that was a common framerate during the PS360 era. There's a slow clunkiness to 30 FPS games and humans can definitely perceive delays 33.3 ms that you get in 30 FPS games, although it's usually worse than this as the inherent delay is usually 3 frames and this would be near doubled going from 60-30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I pre loaded the game on series X all the gaming sites said the size would be around 130 gigs but it downloaded 100.3 gigs and it said it was complete is that right or whats the crack ?

Shin

Yes Xbox settings tell you what your setup can do and I'm all good to go for 60fps.

I'm just saying that I don't notice a huge difference or that it impacts my experience. Spoken to other games too and they agree despite what many say here.

Anyhow time to move on as thead is for Starfield which I'm looking forward too. All the early noises are despite reviewer embargo is that this game is going to be well reviewed and a big hit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ultimately, there is an objective and measurable difference between 30 and 60 FPS, but there's not really much more that can be said beyond that. It is worth playing different games to understand the difference, because it's very much a case of 'when you notice it, you can't go back'. I don't mean that in the sense of never being able to play a game in 30 FPS or anything, but more that when you see the difference in an individual game, it's transformative IMO. And 60 FPS is why most famously slick and fast games (going back as far as the likes of Daytona USA) play as well as they do.

All that said, I do understand why a game like Starfield is locked at 30 FPS given the scope of the game. As nice as 60 would be (and that's why I'd recommend PC if that's an option), Bethesda coming to the decision to drop it is more understandable than with, say, Redfall or Arkham Knights, which both very much looked like a case of poor optimisation and games coming in hot rather than anything. Big, ambitious games will often hit more natural and insurmountable technical barriers.

Pre-loads don't contain all the files - there'll probably be a smaller download when the game is actually released to compile the package into a playable state. Also, modern compression means the download size won't always match the installed size (although more likely to increase than decrease).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I can completely understand someone saying they are perfectly fine with 30fps. I wouldn't at all argue it's unplayable, and I have played many a game at 30fps on the 360/Xbox One without any issue.

But I can't quite understand people saying they can't detect any difference, unless their monitor/TV can only do 30hz at 4K or something. I guess it's possible, in the same way that some people genuinely say Tesco value cola tastes just like Coca Cola to them. 😅

The big thing for 30FPS is that it stays locked at 30fps. There's nothing worse than a game falling below that regularly, it's an awful experience. Fallout 4 on Xbox One and PS4 was a joke, in some parts it would drop to single digit FPS regularly. Cyber Punk was another one that turned into a slide show regularly.

With the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X I don't see why any reason why a solid 30fps wouldn't be easily achievable. All have a basically identical decent CPU and 30fps @ 1080 should be no issue for even the Series S with its reduced GPU power.

I have an Xbox Series S but will probably play on PC to be able to run at 60fps, but haven't decided yet. A lot to be said for being able to just chill out on the couch with a single player game, don't do it often enough.

I think mods are an even bigger deal than performance for most people to choose PC. Particularly with Bethesda games. I mean almost the entire suite of fallout 4 DLC was Bethesda catching up with the mod community who turned their dull game into something a bit more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I bought a 7800X3D last week or week before (my memory is gone to f**k) so I just got a free code for this game on steam. So I have it on Gamepass PC and Gamepass on Xbox and then I paid for the upgrade to premium on Xbox to play it early. I have so many version of this game. I see if you buy a 7900 XTX you get the premium version off AMD I just got the standard version. I already had a 7900 XTX for a fair few months now and there was no free upgrade back then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Have you gotten a steam code yet? I activated my code (7600x) with amd but haven't got it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Just bought the deluxe upgrade so I'm ready to go on Friday, 1am release time is a balls though what's wrong with midnight? Haven't been this hyped for a game since GTA V back in 2013 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

NZ trick won't work for this, it's releasing at the same time everywhere on UTC

Advertisement