Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The two tunnel lanes turn into four on exit:

1. City (N8 west)
    2. new Little Island interchange
    3. Rosslare, N25 East
    4. Dublin, M8 North

Currently on approach, these are grouped as #1,#2,#3 on Left Land, #4 on Right lane. This can be changed with two new sign-boards if that grouping doesn’t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Very significant retaining wall has been built for the N25 West to M8 North movement just north of the old roundabout. Suspect there will be a lot of earthworks here to bring the road up to the new bridge.

The N25 heading out of the city and towards Midleton is now back to 2 lanes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

When they can get the N25W to Tivoli back to 2 lanes things will improve somewhat. The 2 lanes into 1 just after a merge is causing all sorts of problems at the moment.

Not sure of timelines but there are 2 main reasons.

1. Still doing waterproofing over the old roundabout.
    2. Where the dumbbell exists onto the mainline (westwards) will be revised after earthworks south of the main carriageway are completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Left hand lane westbound from Little Island junction now open.

• Advertisement

Yup, thats open which is nice, should help with morning jams due to the 2 -> 1 and merge on the N25W towards Tivoli, as you now can get in the left lane earlier.

Still 80kmh and 60kmh though, so keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

Just from the latest video, whats the plan here? there seems to be 3 lanes going under the bridge but then only one lane a short distance further along.

3 lanes into 1 over that distance seems pretty ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Risoc

Ya, I think there's a broken yellow between lanes 2 and 3 though. I'd guess 3 is just hard shoulder but would definitely be required if there was a collision.

Lane 3 is an actual full lane which I think simply hasn’t been opened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just reading the weekly newsletter today, I bloody love the amateur photoshop drawings. Really shows that people like info, sped and regularity of updates are more important than having glossy professional graphics

• Advertisement

A lot if discussion on here of lanes heading north out of the tunnel. Suspect the final alignment will be:

Lane 1: City snd N25 east

Lane 2: N25 east and M8 north

That would certainly maximise throughput in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Terrible traffic today, a combination of Friday and bad weather.

Looks like the Dunkettle upgrade won't have the positive effect we would have hoped, particularly eastbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

One Friday evening during a bad rainstorm, there was heavy traffic on a major commuter road...

Yeah I think today broke all of the rules. No-one going more than about 60kmh at 630pm along the south ring. Everyone being gasp sensible??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Ok this is seriously weird now

IMHO, it is worse now. Somehow, it is actually worse

Heading East towards Tunnel, at 5pm- It is backed up to Douglas, and today backed up to kinsale road roundabout. Yet once clear of the tunnel, it is free flowing.

What's the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Yes, every day it's as bad as it ever was and it's not because some rain fell.

Yesterday (sunny) it was backed up past Smyths on the Kinsale flyover.

IMO It's a combination of the curve in the road before the tunnel, the temp 60kmh speed limit and the merging traffic from the Mahon slip cutting across that is causing the tailbacks.

There may be an improvement once the 60kmh restriction is removed but only time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I hadn't been through at peak times in quite a while, since the supposed "free-flow" was fully in place, but was a long term commuter through the tunnel for years. Went through the tunnel from the east yesterday at around 5pm and was astounded at how bad the queues were. Sat in barely moving traffic with periods of being completely static from back as far as the car dealerships in little island. All seeming to stem from 2 lanes on the N25 coming into one going to the tunnel and then merging from the left from little island before the tunnel? How could that not be foreseen? Is there something I'm not understanding that will make that better in future? Because its a disgrace if thats whats to be considered "normal" after all this work. Thats not even mentioning the amount of queuing traffic on the other side going to the tunnel from the N40, which also seemed as bad if not worse than any of the worst days I've experienced in years gone by.

I didn't expect all traffic to have disappeared but it was actually infuriating driving through the area after what I was led to believe was now "fee-flow"...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It is free flow though, there's no lights. It was always going to be an issue at peak times due to sheer volume of traffic. There's now only 1 dedicated lane coming from East into the tunnel (at least until just before tunnel but other traffic coukd make it unfeasibleto get into that lane), rather than 2, but if kept it at 2 lanes the solutions were either not full free flow (would have to stop traffic from m8) or else widen the tunnel. There are some more lanes to open which should help, but imagine traffic will start picking up soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It'll be seriously embarrassing if things aren't an improvement on before when the whole thing is done and open....

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

That's my point. I'm struggling to see what the point of any of this work was now.

I've been through the new layout off-peak a fair amount, and yes, it's fine. Nice driving through with no lights, grand. But it was absolutely grand at off peak times in the past too, despite lights and and a roundabout. It was the commuting congestion that was the issue. And now despite this gargantuan amount of engineering work, it now appears to be even worse than it was before. The whole thing was a scandalous waste of time, resources and money if that isn't alleviated, and as you rightly point out the traffic volume is only going to increase heading into september. I admit to being a layman when it comes to this kind of thing, but I'm not seeing a missing piece that's going to improve matters? should have just been left as it was if this is it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, I find Monday's aren't too bad as most are still home that day but the other days traffic is pretty poor. Not looking forward to when schools are fully back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

There are still:

• merge distances that are much shorter than final configuration
    • lanes that are narrower than final configuration or closed entirely
    • temp 60 limits, construction equipment, barriers, and workers, all of which make people cautious
    • etc., etc.

I think concern about the final efficacy of the scheme is premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Exactly, at the moment it's like getting builders in to renovate your house, and 3/4 of the way through saying "it was nicer to live in before you knocked down my kitchen". Judge the final outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

That's all true, but I will also reserve the right to point out in February 2024 that anybody suggesting more "N40 South" or even N25 or M8 measures to resolve Dunkettle traffic are wasted effort.

Dunkettle's problem is basically too many cars. There's no other realistic connectivity between the populations/businesses at the North/East (>30,000 people, major industrial areas of Carrigtoill, Little Island) and the populations/businesses to the South (Mahon, Douglas, Ringaskiddy, Airport, Kinsale Road etc.). I don't blame most of the people commuting through the tunnel by car because there is no reasonable alternative.

In my opinion it will not significantly improve: I believe that the limit is not the capacity of the tunnel, but rather people's tolerance for sitting in traffic. So if Dunkettle can get another 10k people through at rush hour, then those people will come. They'll come from further away to work in the harbour area. I know plenty people living in Killarney and commuting through the tunnel every day to work: when there's more capacity then more people will use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Take a look at the M8 looking North camera on Dunkettle live website.....completely backed up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The worst thing also is the flow that’s the easiest to address with PT solutions is the flow that’s causing the least congestion (at Dunkettle at least) which is the N25 flow on the flyover (rail line alternative).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I saw about 20 idiots turn and come back down!

Advertisement