Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I didn't....? Just making a comment. I know there was a car on fire on the M8, I just thought it was a sight to behold, something you don't normally see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I know, I saw that too! Where did they go! All moving again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep, it's the East-South that's the big problem I think.

I also think that the new cross-river bridge at Tivoli will do either nothing for Dunkettle or exacerbate things. I think they need to start seriously considering the provision of another river crossing for sustainable transport, near Tivoli but then I would say that, wouldn't I! But seriously, it is disappointing in hindsight that CMATS didn't spot this gap.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Your post raises a question about all that funding that was announced in 2021 and we haven't heard a peep about it since. If Tivoli and the South Docks are developed there certainly will be need for additional bridges, but there's a strong case for additional bridge now to provide linkage between the southern suburbs and Little Island etc. A cycling route equivalent to the tunnel would be absolutely fantastic but I think that's a bit ambitious. Being able to cycle from Rochestown/Douglas to Little Island and avoid the N40 without having to go via the city centre would be a very attractive proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

A cycle/pedestrian bridge from the Marina to Tivoli, close to where the Eastern Gateway Bridge was planned to be, would provide an excellent North/South link and would also open up a really good active travel route from the city (via Centre Park Road, or ultimately via Kennedy Quay to the Marina via the disused Ford/ESB wharfs) and then on to Dunkettle and Little Island via the Port of Cork lands. This could all be put in place quite quickly, if the will existed.

Have driven through Dunkettle Interchange a few times recently, all off peak, and it's such a pleasure to go through it without traffic lights. Hopefully the current delays will diminish as the remainder of the works are completed.

• Advertisement

Yep I think even basic/rudimentary things that could help take maybe 3% of people out of Dunkettle would be:

1. A small ferry near the tunnel (lots of space is available on both sides), slipways needed
    2. A greenway from Carrigaloe Ferry to Carrigaloe Train, and shelters at both sides of the ferry

Believe it or not the Eastern Gateway bridge is very much back in vogue. It was recently cited as a reason for not putting in any busconnects infrastructure on the lower Glanmire Road. City council very much believe this one's going ahead. I personally think it should be foot/bike/bus only but they're intent on dragging cars through the new marina development. This will not work well for Dunkettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

let's hope the Eastern Gateway bridge is designed with an opening span, otherwise, it will be the final nail in the coffin for Cork City as a port city that welcomes craft like small cruise ships, visiting navy ships, tall ships, and other non-cargo ships plus all sorts of leisure craft both sail and motor.

That should definitely help to shorten the queueing on the N40 eastbound, but it doesn't address the apparent lack of capacity of the single westbound lane after the merging of the N25/Link L into one lane before the northern tunnel entrance of the N40

If you think of the traffic flows like a tide which goes in and out twice a day. You have the flow and ebb of traffic between both sides of the river in pretty much equal volume, except the way things appear to have been designed the flow from north to south has been throttled by 50%, so there will inevitably be long queues on that leg when the tide in that direction is in full flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Maybe they should have looked at reversible lanes; 2 in 1 out in the morning, 1 in 2 out in the evening, like the Golden Gate Bridge.

There's also talk of another bridge at Horgan's Quay, for tram/sustainable users!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It was a caravan/camper van on fire - I drove through Glanmire at the height of the jams and it was only a 5 or 6 minute delay for me - but it backed up right from the Glanmire Junction to Dunkettle.

Usually I hate Cork Beo with a passion but they covered it well including the most important thing - the dog was rescued

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/cork-fire-crews-rescue-dog-27597610

Why is the overhead sign after Jct2 on the N25 indicating Lane 1 (left lane) is for Cork and Lane 2 (right lane) is for Limerick? The sign is about 6km in advance of the actual diverge at Silversprings, which is clearly signposted and which is in reality the opposite way round, Lane 1 for Limerick and Lane 2 for Cork. That sign on the N25 needs to be consigned to the metal recycling yard and if necessary replaced with one indication both lanes will take you to Cork etc.

All that's needed and it's spot-on https://goo.gl/maps/gZfeMzwA1w4Y85sWA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its basically because the gantry signage on this scheme is absolutely apalling throughout. That left lane / right lane nonsense is the same on all approaches and is exceedingly misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Is this the last junction heading west towards Dunkettle? Just guessing on this based on the fact that the sign you linked to is further in after Dunkettle so therefore segregation of Limerick traffic might be advisable so that they don't have to do a last minute lane change when they get to Dunkettle. So in effect Limerick (N20) bound traffic should stay right and go through the interchange whereas Cork (N40) traffic should get into the left lane?

But as I say without clearing indication of where exactly this sign is this could be pure speculation. I know it's easy to criticise signage but generally there are reasons behind it.

Please read my post again. It's quite clear about where the gantry sign is. It's about 6km before the actual diverge, which is left lane Limerick right lane Cork City not right lane Limerick left lane Cork as indicated on the gantry sign in question.

BTW getting into the correct lane a km from a jct isn't exactly last minute. 6km is definitely extremely early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Especially when there is a roundabout half way along that 6km!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

As per todays newsletter, they hope to have the M8 Northbound open by mid-sept.

I will be interesting to see what impact this has on lane positioning and traffic flow through the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

It should help but my guess is it won't have much of a positive impact as there's a good 50÷ of cars that use the right hand lane to go East already.

The only thing that may potentially help avoid traffic backing up towards the Kinsale flyover every day is the removal of the 60/km speed limit around Mahon/the tunnel, in my opinion.

How much the new M8 link and the removal of the speed limit help remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ridiculous that it's going to be one lane. This junction is symptomatic of the penny pinching, "it will do" approach to infrastructure in the country. Nothing has changed. We think too small, short term and parochial.

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

First of all, the M8 is two lanes so that’s what you must get down to north of the DKI. Secondly, the larger volume of M8 traffic comes from East Cork. If the link from the tunnel had two lanes, you’d have a single busy lane (from East Cork) merging into two quieter lanes (from the tunnel), and then another quieter lane (from the city) merging 200-300m up the road. Having two single lanes - one from tunnel and one from East Cork - avoids one of these merge points. I’m withholding judgement until it’s fully complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Could you spell out what your lane scenario would be?

There will be 2 lanes coming out of the tunnel. Most of traffic goes to Midleton hence lanes 1 and 2 both get the option to go to Midleton.

Lane 1 also had the option to go to the city centre. Finally, this gives lane 2 the option to go M8 north.

If 2 lanes have the option of going to Midleton then there can only be 1 lane north.

It's the only answer. The N40 left lane (lane 1) splits into two lanes after the tunnel as above and the N20 right lane (lane 2) similarly splits into two also as above.

Keeping lane 2 of the N40 exclusively for the M8, as it is designated at present, would be sheer lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The apologists for below mediocrity have arrived.

There should be no lane reduction whatsoever on the N40/M8 here. None.

At this junction to get to Cork you have to do a detour through two roundabouts. Think about that.

This junction has actual pedestrian crossings on some of the slip roads.

The answer here was to build a fully free flow junction and a normal flyover to the tunnel like proper countries do.

Instead we are once again left with a substandard mess.

No amount of whataboutery changes the fact that this is the cheapest, most half-assed junction they went with in the end.

Instead of defending it we should be demanding much better than what we get.

Could you explain what the lane arrangement at tunnel exit should be to allow 2 lanes to M8 north given the majority of the traffic goes to Midleton?

Having both lanes have the option of M8 north, would mean that City and Midleton could only be accessed via lane 1. This is completely suboptimal given traffic flows. There is no way around changing this.

A “normal flyover” from N8 to tunnel (and vice versa) was not possible. That was discussed years ago on this thread. Those links had to go under the existing N25 because of the very significant height difference between the M8 and the tunnel portals.

Also, if the M8<->N40 movements were to have “no lane reduction whatsoever” how on Earth would you handle the N25<->M8 and N25<->N40 movements, especially when they carry significantly more traffic? The traffic data shows that the M8 is the least important arterial route at the DKI, despite being the only one that’s a motorway.

I agree with you about the pedestrian/cyclist crossings being idiotic. And I think that the M8 to city centre movement is a dingleberry. But as regards lane reduction, it’s mathematics and topography rather than economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

New video from Dronehawk. If a picture speaks a thousand words, how many does a video ?

In Dronehawk's words: Dunkettle - No amount of Engineering can compensate for bad driving: With lane merging on nearly every approach to the Dunkettle interchange , driving standards will have to improve or there's going to be daily incidents snarling up traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Idiot narrowly avoided causing a collision. Stick traffic cameras monitoring merging areas and prosecute anyone doing something as dangerous as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The car that went across the hatching, were they not forced into doing so as other cars blocked them from merging?

• Advertisement

The onus is on to person in the lane that is finishing to figure it out. Somebody driving in a lane that is continuing has no obligation to allow somebody else to move into their lane. It’s not their problem.

Advertisement