Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

AliEx do state there's no tracking on the final leg, Anpost in this case, but the trail ran dry on BEpost on the 24th. China post tracking says it's sent to the 'country of destination'. Then an entry on the 4th saying Parcel outbound. That could mean its been sent back too. Its still being scanned, just not being reported on AnPost tracking. Ali's own tracking shows the progress bar stalled at a label, 'IE customs'. It's only a tenners worth any way, and as long as Ali report it as undelivered, I can seek a refund soon enough, as over 50 days now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod warning to deezell. Ignoring Mod instructions.

China post. Ali tracking and Belgium Post now report (all on the 11th), respectively, 

'Your shipment has arrived at the postal operator of the country of destination and will be delivered in the coming days',

'Received by local Delivery company'

and

'Shipment being prepared by the postman'

Three different ways of saying that AnPost have finally scanned/acknowledged receipt the packet they were sent on the 24th? Nothing on their own tracking as expected. Delivery tomorrow will be 57 days. I'll break out the bubbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭bassy

I got the same email from AliExpress over the weekend,so hopefully the postman lands this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Got the exact same scan on my AliExpress order that came through BPost, I assume An Post will deliver it tomorrow or at least during the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

An post finally delivered today my AliExpress package that was sent via Bpost, ordered it July 3rd, arrived today. Hopefully your packages also come guys, Anpost seem to have gotten our AliExpress packages all at the same time

Yep, arrived this morning, my mobile no. clearly printed on the label, hence the scam customs demands with fake AnPost site from someone who has a source in the (entire) supply chain who has access to this data or the packets.

57 days, but I deliberately chose the free super economy delivery as if I wanted to see how slow it realy was, they had promised July 15th to 25th, so big fail there.

Mine arrived to,ours all in the same batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Highly doubt anyone is lifting your mobile number from the outside of a package.

These scams are not that targeted, they mass spam a large amount of numbers and out of those a certain amount will co-incidentally be expecting a package and be more susceptible to think its genuine.

I get those An Post scam texts every few months, sometimes I am expecting a package others I am not there is no correlation between the two.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I usually get them when I've got something on the move from outside the EU. Very rarely otherwise. I would have thought this would be a perfect method to pull a scam like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

If they were harvesting from packages I would think they would include the tracking number or your name in the scam text as well, that would make it much more believable. If there is nothing in the text specific to the package I would assume its just mass spamming.

That a good point, but its just too much of a coincidence when I get them.

It's a year or more since I ordered from Ali. Its a year or more since I got that customs scam mail. All my other orders EU or Amazon, no scam messages. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..., etc.

I've an outstanding UK order, pvc window lock hardware, impossible to get the brand particular here anymore I'm told since Brexit. I found a rare supplier who delivers to UK and IE, VAT not charged, so here's hoping he has his paperwork in order as I'm expecting an IE VAT demand.

That worked out perfectly. Notified on Thursday of the VAT plus €3.50 admin fee, paid it and goods arrived Friday.

Buoyed by this I've reordered hard to get sunglass lenses from an Australian company, Sunglass Fix, goods which were previously returned all the way back despite all forms being in order. I'm expecting a VAT demand instead of goods returned, fingers crossed.

Hey guys would this be any use for us to buy from the UK and delivered to NI Ireland and southern Ireland.i suppose no use if your not going up north to collect it.

https://www.oohpod.com/?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoqGnBhAcEiwAwK-Okb5Z-EvAZvEgLdaW_OyEfvu_HO4T9ZoEs9yiNJYBWVc1oFK95oT-dRoCYzEQAvD_BwE

There is already a thread on the courier sub-forum about oohpod. No use in the situation on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

"Buoyed by this I've reordered hard to get sunglass lenses from an Australian company, Sunglass Fix, goods which were previously returned all the way back despite all forms being in order. I'm expecting a VAT demand instead of goods returned, fingers crossed."

What are you doing differently this time around that makes you think will be okay this time please? (Not being cheeky, I want to know how to do it!)

Exactly the same as before, only this time I'm expecting delivery, with a vat demand for about €10. Previous order was returned, and the company were baffled as to why. Order before that arrived before Anpost return saga began.

what has changed that this time you are expecting delivery, with a vat demand?

An Post saga indeed btw!

Ps. Are you expecting or hoping?! As in any science in it or its hit and miss with An Post??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Gangsterism going on.

I ordered a package from Germany. Tax was levied on the sale.

It was sent via UK.

I got a demand from an post for VAT plus a service charge, or else package would be sent back.

I complained to DHL Deutsche post, asked for a refund. I did not agree to any VAT charge on top. I got one of these no reply emails with a standard answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Curious to know too as I had problems with packages from Australia in 2021 & have been afraid to order from there since.

An Post seem to have eased off on returning UK packages alright but I haven’t heard the same about other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Interesting pattern re UK VAT charges in last couple of months. I have ordered six packages.

Four packages valued less than €10 - paid the charges, got items 1 or 2 days later.

One package valued at €100 - paid charge, item not delivered for 9 days.

One package valued at €200 - paid charge on 15 August, still waiting.

Sent through the UK? Do you mean that DHL shipped it via a UK depot? If so get onto the shipper, they need to sort it out with DHL.

Are you sure that's not a scam demand? Did you get a code to enter onto the genuine Anpost site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Yes, its a genuine an post demand letter.

Well previously they just sent anything back that didn't pass their prepay VAT scan. Now goods imported VAT free as is normal are simply scanned, which is pre-entered some way on the a database by the sender. If it's a an IOSS supplier, vat is prepaid and your parcel comes direct, unless there's duty. If the supplier just exports vat free which the norm from outside the EU, then before the debacle you would have to go to your post office to pay vat, duty and a fee. This service seemed to dissappear, packets were jusr being sent back. This new method should work if they just read the labels and match the packets with the declared amounts. No paying UK VAT then 23% Irish vat, and the admin at 3.50 is a lot less than it used be at the post office counter, think it was a tenner. The people in Oz resumed delivery to Ireland, so I guess the stuff must be getting delivered here again.

Post edited by deezell on

Thank you for this detailed and informative post

Tracking shows my OZ packet in Ireland on Saturday, 5 days after dispatch on the 21st. Fingers crossed. @NewbridgeIR , Its 2021 also since I ordered these and they were returned, lenses for a pair of Ray Bans and a pair of REVO vintage, well worth repairing. It seems to be the only outlet worldwide that has the concession to manufacture all the luxury brand glasses' lenses under licence. I simply can't get the Revo anywhere, don't even ask for spares in a Rayban concession, you'd buy new glasses as cheap.

• Advertisement

My packet from OZ arrived today. No Vat demand or admin fee! I don't know what arrangements the company have for added EU tax if any. I know that faster delivery option with DHL routes your packet via DHL customs facility in Germany, though tracking never referred to being there. The address label with the OZ tracking number was overlaid with one with a DE tracking number, and when it first appeared on AnPost tracking it had the DE tracking no. and was marked source as Germany. I assume it was just delivered as a result, as IOSS data for vat must have been in order for this number. Happy out😁

Advertisement