Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Im on the 1 gig and landline package for 83 per month. Had the half price for 6 months offer last time. Rang today and got offered 15 euro off for 9 months and full price for the remainder. No chance of any better offers according to the operator. Rang back 15 mins later and got the same lady. What are the odds of that lol. Anyway will have to look into signing up in my own name as the account has been in the fathers name for years. Seems the offers this year are very poor compared to the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I cancelled a few weeks back. Had eir lined up to come in Monday morning. Just got a call from Virgin matching the 35 price for 500mb Broadband for the year.

On the original call I asked for 9, then 6 months half price and they wouldn't budge, measly 10 or 15 off for a few months is what they offered.

All the hassle ringing and canceling, then signing up to Eir and they give it to you anyway.

Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

And you stuck with them? At that point, I'd be switching.

Yeah, they matched the eir price in the end so why not. I'll move next year 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭WATPOAE

Lol, unbelievable nonsense from VM. I'm calling to cancel in the morning. Their approach seems to be random so not counting on getting a similar call.

Were you able to cancel the Eir sign up/install without any issues?

Yeah just told them I have no ducting for the cable they said OK.

We'll see soon if they try take money for a direct debit. I've heard some stories 😂

I filled in an online cancellation form for Eir, don't ask me where to get it because for the life of me I can't remember 🤔🤔.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pAdidas

Anyone been talking to VM for their renewal recently after introductory offer expires?

I just got off the phone on a call back, after emailing in a query about getting a discount on my broadband at renewal if I moved my mobile phone plan to them as well. (currently with vodafone and renewal starts around the same time as VM broadband renewal)

Was offered €10 off for 6 months, if I moved my phone contract too. It all seems completely ridiculous as the 'new customer offer' is €49 p/m for a year and the best they can offer me is €70 p/m and I have to pay €20 on top every month for my mobile plan too.

I'm stuck as no other provider offers broadband to my apartment, so I've told them to cancel and will start a new one using my other half's details. Shame it's the only choice I have, I was willing to move my phone contact to them too if they were willing to offer a half decent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

my contract ending 30th Aug. rang up today and said wanna cancel. i was on 50 euro for one year.

offer1: got 15 euro off for 6 months, i declined

offer2: gave half price ie 40euro for 6 months and 80 euro for 6 months - i declined

offer3: gave half price ie 40 euro for 9 months and 80 euro for 3 months - accepted as it is equal to 50 euro per month

no change nothing - same continues for one year. happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Called to cancel yesterday. Deals they offered were crap.

Are they still calling people back a few days before the 30 days notice to offer them a better deal?

Would be happy enough paying the same for one more year, the upload speeds are cat and the download speeds do take a noticeable hit at certain times of day, but I literally have no other option until the fibre roll out catches up or the sharing lines deal with Eir kicks in (not really holding my breath), as my only other choice is 24mbps over coaxial from another company.

If I don't get a matching offer in the next few weeks, I'll just let it cancel and resign up with my partners name. It's really shocking they have a monopoly on this apartment block, literally no other option.

Glad to hear they're still offering decent deals though, thanks

All I've gotten so far is one offer of 10 euro off for 6 months, and that was after me asking if I could get a deal by adding in my mobile phone contract as that's up now too. My contract isn't up until October though, so fingers crossed I'll get another call before renewal, otherwise I'll be using the partner's name for the new customer deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Folks, does anyone have experience with cancelling VM in one persons name and opening new account in another householders name? I am wondering how to do so that I limit any period of no coverage. My contract is coming to an end and want to go with a new customer offer assuming VM will not match it on my current account.

I don't want to lose TV and broadband in between so wondering how to minimize switch-over disruptions?

Thanks

Post edited by Sconsey on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

They get the boxes delivered to me in 1-2 working days. I just sign up 4-5 days before my service will be terminated. The overlap is just that and I pay double for those few days only. However, in the course of a year, I save a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Contract up next month, have had 500Mb on a contract for the last 12 months (9 months half price and 3 months @ €70). Rang up and the best deal I got offered was €55 a month for 9 months then €70 (along with a rather pushy sales guy telling me I wouldn't get a better deal and that 'local providers' were going against ComReg, blah, blah).

Looks like I'll be a new customer this time next month...

Did you give your 30 days notice? I'm not getting caught for a full month next year when my contract ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Have to do the yearly dance very soon, what are the main talking points I can use as ammo when talking to the cancellation team? Ty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Looks like I am back with virgin with €30 pm for 500 Mbps taking into consideration their €100 one4all voucher offer valid till 31st..my question is when does the billing start? Once i activate the router i assume? I have a month to go with Vodafone(no big loss if use both)..

Cheers, didn't see the one4all was back. Signed up a few days earlier then planned. Nice €100 for being a "new" customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

After emailing my cancellation request for the 1GB broadband package about two weeks ago, I called the retention number texted to me by Virgin. After saying I liked the service but was cancelling for financial reasons, they offered six months half price. I said that I probably wouldn't take that as it averaged out to €60+ a month which hit me as still a bit much (thanks to the poster who suggested that reasoning earlier in the thread), at which point they offered nine months half price, which I accepted. The call took about five minutes in total.

Having worked many years ago in the Abtran call centre in Cork which handled Sky cancellation calls and having read quite a bit of this thread over the years, what I can say for advice to people calling Virgin to attempt get one of these retention deals:

Do:

• Be pleasant.
    • Keep your motivation (i.e. financial) transparent. You're trying to lay an obvious path for the rep to follow, and if you complain about every aspect of the service then this will cloud things and the rep may read you as a lost cause.
    • Feel free to politely direct the conversation away from things that are unimportant to you (e.g. comparisons to competitors). I got stuck with this myself last year when the rep, who I think was a bit too passionate, drew me into a 10 minute long conversation about how competitors don't measure up. This year as this started up again, I politely acknowledged that I understand where the rep's coming from, but said it's probably not productive to have a blow-by-blow of something I've researched myself before making this call.
    • Feel free to politely end the call with your cancellation actioned if you feel like even after following the above advice, you're not close to get a discount. Sometimes reps won't take a retention that's handed to them, or they're having an off day, or whatever else. You can always call again later to uncancel or try again.

Don't:

• Be unpleasant or blame the person over the phone for the business structure of who they work for. These jobs aren't typically very well paid with very small bonuses paid for sales and saves. I knew of many people back in the call centre who - quite reasonably - would rather let a sale or save off the phone sooner rather than deal with deeply unpleasant people acting out.
    • Ask for or refer to retention offers directly. They are intended to prevent cancellations for financial reasons and aren't intended as universally entitled loyalty bonuses or whatever other understanding you overlay on them. Reps were coached not to acknowledge this in various ways and are explicitly told not to offer them on asking. The scripted path to getting these offers is that you are cancelling because the subscription is too expensive.

I think this should generally result in less stress for people calling, even if there's always exceptions (e.g. call centre reps who don't care, very odd times of the year when retention offers are pulled for a bit because of quarterly performance, etc).

And yes, the churn business model in Ireland is very frustrating, but at least from the point of view of the readers of this thread it means that the customers who do nothing are subsidising those of us who are willing to go through a 5 or 10 minute song and dance phone call every year.

Post edited by guyfawkes5 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

update on this..a fine lady gave me 15 days credit as i told i will want to start after two weeks ! Looks like service atarts as soon as u accept delivery for self install

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Folks, just to confirm I am on a 30 day rolling contract with VM paying €60 or something ridiculous like that.

Both my name and my wife’s were on the account until I changed it to just mine about three weeks ago.

I am now gonna phone up and cancel.

I will then open a new account in my wife’s name to get the new price of €39.

Is this correct?

Do I have to give them 30 days notice as I am on the “30 day rolling contract” since my deal expired?

thanks for any suggestions.

ok i have puled the trigger today and cancelled VM as the best they could do was €45PM for 9 months and then back to €60 for the remaining three.

Do i have to wait for a loss in service to order a new service in my wife's name to get the new customer offer, or what happens?

Hi Bren, do you sign up in another householders name to get the new customer offer?

Myself and my wife had both our names on the bill, -ive had her name taken off with the plan to sign up in her name when contract expires.

However ive cancelled now and when i go to sign up as a new customer the website is saying the account is associated with an existing account- even though theyve confirmed my wifes name was taken off the account?

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Mech1

I was on 88pm 1Gb and phone line.

Just called, now on 41.50pm for 6m and then 83pm for next 6.

I have no problems with there service so I accepted that.

I use the same name. Same address. Same email. Same bank account. I buy a new phone number every year. I suspect it's the mobile phone number is that is flagging in their system.

Your best bet is to only use one name on the account this year and swap it between yous every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭EarWig

Post edited by EarWig on

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Hi just to let you know, I signed up last year in my husband's name and removed my mobile number from our account, as that's what flags you as a previous customer.

My 12 month broadband only contract at €40 per month is due to finish on 21st Sept so on 22nd August I got my husband to ring and cancel and give our 30 days notice. The rep tried a little to offer some deals but nothing as good as the deal you get when signing up as a new customer.

I went online today and signed up in my own name as a new customer and got 500mb broadband only for €39 a month with no issues. I used my own name, email, mobile number etc but it's the same address and bank details as before. I was able to select my installation date so I chose 21st Sept, so this means that there should hopefully be no overlap with billing etc.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

It does help indeed especially the giving notice part. I'm using my wifes number this year I'll go back to my own number next year. In saying that I'm strongly considering ftth as it gives a lot more choice of provider.

Advertisement