Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes very annoying and yes it was very badly thought out. One of the few bad things in Season 3 of Picard but even with tgat it was still far better than both season 2 and season 1 and is the only season of Picard I would watch again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

The Picard writers have no idea what refit means, the new Stargazer was also called a refit of Picard's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya it was a new ship and a refit at the same time.

Couldn't understand why they didn't use it for PIC 3 instead of the Titan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So with season 2 done, I think it was a good season but not a great one, like season 1 was. It was tonally all over the place, with some whiplash inducing swings from the Lower Decks crossover, to PTSD filled M'Benga murdering people, then back to some of the dafter moments of all Trek with a musical. And while I disagreed with the fundamental concept of the musical episode, I recognise it's a one-off thing and won't hold it against the season overall. There's some good trends in there, particularly the pattern of constantly advancing the secondary threads, no matter what the larger episode plot was. The overall season arc being the Gorn was a bit of a non-starter though, setup as the big bad in episode 1, only to vanish for 8 episodes, then re-appear with a cliff hanger. Still a good season overall, just a bit all over the place.

Ya would agree with most of this.

3 hijinks episodes was a bit too many for me and the musical and T'Pring episodes bored me to tears. And add in the time travel episode and that's 3 out of 10 I will never bother watching again.

Just felt like last season had a lot more classic sci-fi episodes and more "strange new worlds"

• Advertisement

But it can't be both. A refit is an upgrade of an existing ship. The "refits" in Picard are both new classes too which can't happen outside of the refit of one class becoming the lead ship in a new class. The real world Kitty Hawk to Enterprise class aircraft carriers is a good example even though the Enterprise class ended up being just one ship.

Oh I know. I was agreeing that is was both somehow in Picard which is wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nu-Trek's Ship Design has left a lot to be desired really, and TBH bar the CrossFit Class haven't liked any of the new designs. I believe they take a lot of "inspiration" from Star Trek Online whose own bevvy of ships have looked like shít.

Give me Miranda or give me death.

Ya Star Trek Online has a big influence on them and their 24/25th century stuff is awful overly fussy crap. Very very few of the recent ship designs for TV are new and mostly are the writers trying to canonize some obscure extended universe ship like the E-F.

The Crossfield was a concept design for the Motion Picture Enterprise refit.

Speaking of Miranda which was the best design era. Came across some interesting stuff recently where people have resigned ships for different eras.

TMP Akira

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

Strikes aside, I wonder what the plan for Season 3 of SNW was?

It's been over a year since Season 2 wrapped production and was mostly filmed before Season 1 even aired. Did they plan a year off production?

In general, I remember hearing about actors complaining that they were left hanging between seasons on streaming shows, whereas on broadcast tv, they would work in a fixed cycle.

• Advertisement

Probably trying to space out the shows. LD is up next and then the Disco finale which was already delayed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Season 3 should have started production about now, but it's delayed due to the strikes. Talk is that it won't air until 2025 maybe.

Ms

That's OK but I think the struts between the saucer and the nacelle pylons looks too modern but the rest of it all looks good

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

If seasons were longer, you'd definitely have less bad feeling towards the gimmick episodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

10 is too few, but 20 is too many - and an anomaly in these days of streaming. Not to mention more pressure on budget - SNW looks fantastic and I daresay only being 10 episodes let's the money go far.

13 episodes would be the sweet spot here, adding more adventures without stretching the purse strings too far.

Ms

I disagree. I think 20 is the perfect amount. They could just bunch what is now Season 1 and 2 together and call that season 1 and go from there . 6 more seasons 20 episodes a season yes please. Its the same as doing 12 more seasons with 10 episodes a season.

Sure as for budget if they are going to spend it on 10 episodes over 12 years we'll then they are now just spending it on 20 episodes over 6 years so can just double the budget for them years.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

They have to be good enough to have 20 good stories a season though.

Very few shows even ones I really liked couldn't get through 10/12 without dragging the hole out of the middle.

Ms

Ye maybe but at least they could have a few episodes like this season without it taking from the season as a whole because it would gave enough episodes for everyone and plenty of time each season for the main stories to.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

10-15 seems about the right amount, I think. Given it takes most of the year to do 13 (in Discovery's early days), I think much more than that will consist of more bottle stories and cut down on location filming and post production.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

One thing that I find irritating about this season (I don't remember it so much from S1?) is that there always seems to be some officer saying something out of place.

Like in E10 where the helmsman pops out with "But they have our people" or some such nonsense. I've noted the same in a few other episodes, someone acts like an intern even though they should surely know better.

I'm pretty sure Ortegas has done it a few times and someone else got hysterical in Ep 7 or 8 also.

Come to think of it, I think its always a woman, which is a bit 1960s "slap the hysterical woman to make her see sense" and not very PC! (Maybe ties in with TOS a bit though! :-o)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really loved the season. The characters are just so well realised and there's great diversity in the episodes, though the musical was pushing it a tad.

Favorite was probably Spock being reconstituted as a human. Actually genuinely funny and some of the comedic acting from Anson Mount and Ethan Peck was impeccable.

Has really renewed my interest in Star Trek, Discovery was OK but it just wasn't Trek. In fact the Orville is far better Star Trek than Discovery is.

Ms

Favorite was probably Spock being reconstituted as a human. Actually genuinely funny and some of the comedic acting from Anson Mount and Ethan Peck was impeccable.

I have to say my favorite episode this season was the crossover episode but the best episode of the season was definitely the 2nd episode the courtroom one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Interestingly, and presumably cos original content is drying up 'cos the strikes are beginning to truly bite, CBS will be airing the first two episodes of SNW's first season on Sept 8th (the anniversary Trek first aired on TV as it happens). Would be nice if that enforced airing on "traditional" TV gave the show an even bigger footprint & audience.

It would constrain them to a 42 minute episode if they wanted to broadcast them.

Entirely possible though? How long are those 2 episodes cos they could either cut things like credits and apply some editing - or just play the episodes at 1.x speed 🤭

I'm shuddering at the experience of watching anything on US network television: the number of ad breaks, the gapless transition from the show to an advert, the ads are much louder than the show itself, the hilarious ads for pharmaceutical products (they have to say verbally what all the side effects are) etc

52 minutes each so cut 20% of the episode, play it at 1.25 speed, or a bit of both. Or I suppose have it as a feature block and stick 46 minutes of ads on it to get a TV friendly two and a half hours.

Older people and TV are funny. My dad watches several episodes of Star Trek a day recorded from various channels on Sky. I've told him dozens of times he can watch whatever episode he wants on either Netflix or P+, both have apps on the Sky box and are signed in, but he still watches them recorded from broadcasts.

• Advertisement

"Ask your doctor about Feelgoodium™.

Side effects may include severe rectal bleeding, a pathological fear of the presence of water, and a feeling of impending dread."
    Post edited by Evade on

Advertisement