Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

If there's a person less qualified than him on giving advice about your post Leaving Certificate life, I'd like to see him. He just had everything land on his lap. His parents or uncles/aunts lobbied for him to get into RTE, then he was continually promoted way above his station. He doesn't even seem to realise this. Don't know if he'll ever grow up, or if he'll continue to live in his fantasy world. He's beginning to cut a pathetic figure.

Post edited by hawley on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭TokTik

Drama produced for rte bbc itv is the best in the world

The media has latched onto Ryan now and he’s prone to making silly statements so we’re in for an interesting month

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think the Independent for some reason have set themselves up to 'rehabilitate' him with these soft pieces possibly with a view to a column.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Waiting for them to start repeating the x files so I can say

The Truth is Out There and Trust Matters!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

On the idea that a PBS has no business making "niche" programmes because TV is a mass market media and everything has to appeal to the masses, IMO that's utter BS....

That argument could possibly be applied to a commercial tv station with no public funding but one of the best examples of how that itself is a nonsense is the archaeology show TimeTeam that ran for around 20 years on Channel4. That was not a subject that really made sense as a primetime TV show on C4 but the format was cleverly worked to be suitable and compelling. It had huge viewing figures, especially in the first decade of it's run and is regarded as a major influence in bringing about an interest in archaeology and heritage amongst the British public and bringing awareness of the subject to young people, may of whom went on to work in the field or related areas.

Half RTE's revenue comes from public funds, so there needs to be much more quality output created to justify that huge income. There has to be more to life than endless shows created solely as a vehicle for "Ireland's favourite" architect or chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Podcasts are of no great interest to me, personally.

I remember years ago the late Jim Fahy RTE's Western Correspondent did a series of interviews on radio with various characters. Some well known, some not particularly, as far as I remember.

That's the type of podcast I would listen to. A genuine and likable man, interested in his interviewees and with a great voice into the bargain.

Can't see Tubridy succeeding in anything like that.

• Advertisement

Taking a leaf out of Jeremy Clarkson every year when the A-Level results come out........

"If you fail everything in your exams, be not afraid. I got an E in maths and I'm writing this tweet on a yacht moored in Monaco, having sunscreen applied to my thighs by a small Filipino of dubious gender"

Or words to that affect!

I dunno... there's a Ross O'Caroll Kelly cohort out there that sums up :)

Tubridy is such a fake....

Every second of that clip oozes both pretension and insincerity. Smart move to get off Twitter, a platform for saying things and a place where he would be subjected to reality a bit too often and instead focus on Instagram where he can curate his image as a windswept and interesting man of letters.

I'm off to Tubber's old buddy Paddy Power to see if I can bet on his next Insta missive to be a clip of him at Electric Picnic in a pair of wellies singing along to Niall Horan. If not that, it will be some other cultural touchstone of Irish life, the Ploughing Championships maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Meeting with the minister didn't go well?

Regards...jmcc

It's standard industry practice.

Are you implying RTE were not following standard industry practice???

That senior RTE executives were telling fibs???

Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You'd think he might have realised that people have figured out that he's a gobshyte and changed his tune a bit. One trick pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Like to see a whole lot more investigation into these barter accounts. They may be in widespread use in the media industry but the idea reeks of tax avoidance.

Forgive me. :) Perhaps more reports are needed.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Tubridy is a man of letters alright. R,T, E. Unfortunately, RTE told him to P.F.O and he still doesn't seem to understand.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

At this point they may as well start from scratch.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

The report may say that it hasn't conclusions but some of those points it made are quite serious.

Regards...jmcc

He's a member of the Gombeenarchy. Hard work, talent and merit have no part in their success. Patronising students who had to work hard for the grades they acihieved is a bit tone deaf but typical Tubridy. The one thing that he hasn't realised is that he's now irrelevant. No Late Late Show or radio show. He hasn't even got an opinion column in the daily or Sunday comics.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hopefully if there is redundancies at RTE, they will be made where they belong, in the top echelons.

Unfortunately this is what happens when a cartel of ‘talent’ suck the life blood out of a company aided and abetted by top management who want their share of the gravy.

It would appear that as soon as any punter appeared either on screen or radio waves their first move was to garner every ounce of add on they possibly could, again aided and and abetted by a weak incompetent management team who it seems, rather than keeping check on such activity took the decision to get in themselves and ‘bathe your feet’ .

The reverberations are still echoeing around and one can’t help noticing the greater diaspora of the media are circling the wagons to try to dryhump JQ Taxpayer into allowing them to continue bleeding them dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

It will be interesting to see who will be offered redundancy and who will cough up to subisidse the package been offered. Oh yes that's right sure the tax payer will give us a dig out as we have no money left in the kitty. Can we really see any of the big ten top earners been offered redundancy. I think not. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭squonk

The news that there will be compulsory redundancies should really be what is exercising Ryan’s thoughts today. A lot of this stems I’m sure from the culture here and his agent fostered.

The taxpayer shouldn’t have to for the bill for these redundancies either. I’ve worked for companies that went to the wall and just received statutory redundancy. Really it’s cheap to lay people off when push codes to shove. Notionally it’s nice to give people a decent package on the kids of their job but it’s icing on the cake. You really are only entitled to the statutory sum. Great if s as company has funds to cover optional packages but when they don’t, as is the case with RTE, you take what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Just looked up Clarkson's bio to see was he another born with a silver spoon up his rectum. Not really, but it turns out his parents made their money from making and selling Paddington Bear toys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The man is a smug arrogant git. How he has no shame for knowing exactly how much he earned versus how much the fool public were told he was paid I'll never now.

If he thinks that LC students really care what he thinks, then he's more self absorbed than is healthy.

• Advertisement

Staggering to think, had he not put his shiny brogue in it, Tubridy would be starting back on Sept 4 with all this going on in the backround.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement