Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭dav09

I can imagine. If I remember correctly, his FF gig was on like a mini tour of Primavera, Field Day and that, and it was slightly scaled back here I presume due to cost, size, etc. One thing I fondly remember was not knowing what to expect since he rarely gigged then, the only videos I seen of him playing live were like nightclub gigs in Italy from 2002 with a flash light to see and some lasers. His staging now is absolutely ridiculous and was completely blown away by the whole concept, which I think he's still touring with now. I remember after he played Coachella or something which is mostly younger orientated, it was great seeing all of the people's reactions to him who had never/barely heard of him, and surprisingly went too really well.

I think it would make a very serious statement booking him, but yeah I'm not sure it would warrant that costs. I want to go to ATN some year but felt this year a bit underwhelming booking wise, something like that I'd jump to it 100% no matter who else was booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't agree here look at his gig schedule. Copenhagen, Stockholm, Best Kept Secret - Holland, Sonar, Barcelona, Verona Italy, Field Day London, Kalorama Lisbon and Forwards Festival Bristol. These are all standalone city gigs with only Dour festival being a five day camping one.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

having salad tossed is always going to be a winning alternative to the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The exact response I feared after posting. The EXACT person. 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

I like me a bit of Aphex and always have but is he not incredibly niche? is he really a big draw? i would have though that an awful lot of people wouldnt know him and an awful lot would think his stuff is far too inaccessible, (like "what the fck is this" type reactions) having said that i've never seen him, does he do a continuous mix type affair leaning on the techno or does he do the off the wall glitchy stuff too? does he play his recorded songs or is it all on the fly noodling? cheers

The best thing is to check out one of his gigs, this is his most recent at Field Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

So, what are we expecting in the way of tributes to Sinéad? Nothing formal, just a few artists doing covers?

I’d expect The Kilkers to cover her and several Irish artists. Johnny Marr also who’s worked with her and their mutual band mate Andy Rourke who’ll also get mentioned. The Dublin Gospel Choir still pop up on Sundays? If so they’d do something as would the Trinity Orchestra but insufficient time for them to prepare.

Some tributes would be nice, and very apt for somewhere she turned up four times.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

The best way I could describe Aphex Twin live is a hybrid DJ set. So he had decks, and a bunch of sequencers, analog equipment, etc that he mixes together. Plays a mixture of his music and other people's too, some really good tracks mixed in back in Dublin too.

As for a draw, I think he is. If you look at FF, it had a pretty amazing lineup that year but his day he was definitely the main draw, the main stage was full. To a lot of people he's in a god tier for electronic music almost above the rest, and whether you like him or not his influence on music in general has been massive without ever really having a commercial hit besides two "sort of" semi successful songs in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Dutchy

It's official. See you all around the Salty Dog for Mary Jane's last dance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Even the year that never was blew this year's line-up out of the water. & this was only the first wave or so of announcements. I guess that's why they put the early bird tickets on sale earlier than anticipated - would ye be bothered scrambling for a ticket next year off the back of that Script announcement. We were conned. I'll make the most of this year. Please sweet Jesus let it remain dry at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Phishwax

The blurred logo doesn’t even look like the scripts

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Noseygit

The Script lol lol lol lol **** that. I was getting fomo but im delighted i never got tickets. 14 picnics but it went to **** 10 years ago. Melvin Benn has ruined it imo.

Did they not cancel everything when their bandmaster died?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭glennponder

I think the script are unfairly bearing the brunt of everyone's frustration at the lack of quality on the line up just cos they were the blurred out act and cos everyone's expectations were pinned on this act 'saving the festival' bit unfair as I'm guessing it was done due to the personal circumstances of the band.....Niall Horan is getting off very lightly imo.

That would have been a really good year imo, it's difficult to find basically anyone on this year's lineup much better than any of the following for me, RATM, Chemical Bros, Bicep, Skepta, JID, Helena Hauff, Foals, Denzel Curry. I've seen most of these live before and all excellent.

I will never understand why they were going to do a lot of hip-hop acts that year and then completely reverse booking policy after for future ones.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

EP getting bodied by their "new" fans online for this. You hate to see it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Nope, they recently did some support slots on P!nk's European tour, and possibly a few festivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Salty dog schedule on the EP app. Sprints at 03:45 on the Sunday. Awful time for those that don't camp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

A fairly active thread over the last few days. I guess it gives me a few things to comment on.

Looks like I was 17 days out with this comment. That was a bit unexpected. I almost didn't open the loyalty code email and having opened it I was only half reading it until I saw the 31 August expiry date and the find tickets link. I didn't notice the date change until halfway through the booking process.

While it was a bit disconcerting buying tickets for next year before this year's festival has taken place, it's not entirely inconsistent with other years. In recent years tickets have gone on sale slightly less than a year before the following years edition which is the case here given the date shift.

It was good that sales were only open to loyalty holders. Queues were short and I know someone who picked up family tickets at about 4. Although the availability of family tickets is probably more due to parents having already spent hundreds on Taylor/Coldplay tickets for their children.

I doubt the date change has anything to do with trying to put pressure on ATN. If they wanted to do that they would need to move to the bank holiday or one of the weekends either side. A two week gap is plenty of recovery time for people considering multiple festivals. People generally don't like planning big events for consecutive weekends, if they only moved one week back, in addition to clashing with Reading/Leeds, Coldplay would still be cannibalising a lot of their sales.

I'd say Festival Republic feel that their three end of summer festivals are a big enough draw for them to attract the acts they want. I suspect the date shift will only be temporary for next year. That said maybe they'll move Lollapalooza Berlin to directly compete with Superbloom and EP will stay on the new date.

The date change has scuppered the rough plan I had to go to Green Man next year. I'll have to look at my other options for UK festivals. EOTR is probably the obvious one but travel might be problematic so soon after EP.

I thought it funny watching posters complain about FR's marketing strategy around the concealed act while at the same time speculating about who it might be and feeding into that marketing strategy. I found it much easier to put it out of my mind and assume that it would be a disappointing announcement. With low enough expectations anything can be seen as a positive outcome. FR certainly got a lot more promotion value out of The Script as a hidden act than if they had been announced in the second announcement.

I not sure why people are surprised that the stage times haven't been released yet. I don't think EP have ever released them more than three days out from the festival so this year is likely to be no different. I don't recall getting more notice from any of the other large Irish festivals until this year. It just seemed to be the why things were done, maybe we'll also see a change for EP this year and if not it's something to include in your festival feedback form.

I'll leave it there for the moment as I've a few things to do before going to a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I will be tucked up in bed long by then

There are gaps in the schedule with a few acts announced not yet in there including gurriers, any inside info on timing would be much appreciated as I build the clashfinder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I was hopeful, but not overly optimistic, that the blurred act was going to be an act that appealed to me. Not to be. Ho hum. I'm going to have a great weekend regardless. The main stage wasn't somewhere I frequented much last year and that'll be the same this year. Plenty more to see elsewhere. I'm really looking forward to it. I think part of this is due to the fact, for various reasons, last year was my first EP and I don't have the earlier EPs to compare/contrast superior line-ups.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I wouldn't mind catching up with some of you all this year. Where's the traditional meet up...and how will I know who's who?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Usually at TCM, not sure their timing works this year, and just look for a group of Minion like men.

Traditional meet up is these charming men at Salty. I will let you know what tshirt I am wearing before then to help identification. @Seathrun66 @Bodhran might stick up some pictures from previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭darzog

Last year in Trailer Park. L-R Thundercats Ho, Mucker, Desk Tidy, Seathrun, yours truly, Stillill, Rubick. Kepler. Born to be Mild!

• Advertisement

Well I'll probably be sporting a top looking like this.

Advertisement