Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 World Athletics Championships, Budapest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Delighted, well done Bol 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭patob

Nice congrats for Femke from a lot of different athletes, sounds like a popular character from what I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

Just chiming in to agree that the Virgin coverage is great, just the short interviews with Irish athletes is all you need.

You don't need endless scutter being talked in studio like RTE can do for the Olympics, just stick on the world feed and let us watch the world's best athletes compete. I like the Eurosport lads that are on there, they have been covering athletics for decades and Rob Walker has been grand too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Totally agree with you. It's great to watch the events as they're happening. I could never really understand why RTE couldn't at the very least show the action even if they wanted to talk over it, while it may not have been ideal it would have been better that listening to 10 minutes of spheel between the races they do actually show..

Delighted for Bol after her fall in the relay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Thought was him , he's not usually great with the hyperbole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭4Ad

She seem's like just a lovely person.

Delighted for her, and a Joy to watch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Looking forward to the women's high jump. Mahuchikh will be under the greatest pressure possibly any athlete ever was with the current troubles and carrying the weight of it, Gerashchenko and Levchenko slightly less so--both medal contenders. You can see it for the past 12 months how emotional she is competing. She doesn't always do her very best on the biggest stage and Olyslagers on current form will be very hard to beat, Patterson can't be ruled out either but i don't see her winning. The ever improving young Topic could take a medal. They have to get through the qualifying tomorrow first which can often test the nerves, expect a very emotional finale on Sunday night, hopefully they give it good coverage, i think they will...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭patob

The Virgin media coverage is excellent with very knowledgeable commentary on the world feed, but video quality is terrible on Saorview. I prefer to watch in glorious HD on BBC satellite, though the Brit cheerleading can be a bit ott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭unichick

Agree re Virgin Media coverage. It’s great. Will Dalton is getting great interviews & I’m loving the neutral aspect.

I’m going to Budapest next month for a weekend. Looks a beautiful city. Would love to be over there now. Atmosphere seems great in the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Yeah.Can never understand it, surely it has to slow them down even by a few hundredths of second and in a sprint that can be a big difference.Surely they could wear a swimming cap or the type of running suit Cathy Freeman used to wear in order to reduce the wind resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Adeleke out of the relay. That's a shame, would have been nice to get into the finals there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is she pulling a sickie? Too "exhausted?"

• Advertisement

• RHASIDAT ADELEKE TO MISS WOMEN’S 4X400M AT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Rhasidat Adeleke (Tallaght A.C.) will miss the Women’s 4x400m Relay this weekend at the World Athletics Championships in Budapest.

Team management, with a duty of care to all athletes in mind, and in consultation with Adeleke and her coach, and AAI’s medical team, have confirmed the decision.

The 20-year-old made history this season becoming the first Irishwoman to break 50 seconds in the 400m, winning the NCAA Division One title in the event, before finishing fourth in Wednesday’s World Championship final.

Sharlene Mawdsley (Newport A.C.), Sophie Becker (Raheny Shamrocks A.C.), Roisin Harrison (Emerald A.C.), Kelly McGrory (Tir Chonaill A.C.) and Niamh Murray (Bray Runners) all remain available for selection ahead of tomorrow evening’s heats. The starting quartet and running order will be confirmed by Saturday morning.

The Irish team will be looking to produce another strong performance and then look towards securing Olympic qualification at next May’s World Relay Championships in the Bahamas, where fourteen of the sixteen available spots will be filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Fairly obvious what it means. Pulled a sickie.. quit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

The relay team won't make the final without her unfortunately. I was really hoping to see an Irish 4x400M squad in an outdoor global final.

If she's legitimately injured, fair enough. However, it's a bit disappointing when compared to the likes of Bol and Klaver, who put themselves on the line in the mixed 4x400m, their individual events, and tomorrow / Sunday in the women's 4x400m.

Longer term, we need to find 4 women capable of getting us qualified, bringing in Adeleke for the final. Sharlene Mawdsley is already very much at that level. Phil Healy and Sophie Becker are capable, when running at their best 51.xx levels. The most likely fourth candidate is Roisin Harrison. She's currently a 52.5x runner. If she can shave 0.75 - 1.0 seconds off her individual time, we are there or thereabouts for qualification.

• Advertisement

She is not legitimately injured. Too tired is the excuse.

Very disappointing and a real let-down to your team.

You’d swear she was the only athlete to have a “tough” season.

I am around sport long enough to know when someone just isn’t up for it and couldn’t be arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I suppose everyone else should just bow to your superior knowledge in that case.

No need....common sense should prevail. Not injured, no legitimate medical reason given. Too tired. Basic stuff, really.

BBC treating us to josh kerr again

In fairness it's a big deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Bollox. I've been around sport long enough also to see sportspeople in their teens and early twenties being flogged competing on multiple fronts only to end up in forced retirement in their mid to late twenties due to chronic hip/knee issues.

If an athlete does not feel up to it they should not run and risk injury. It's not that hard.

The article mentions "physical issues" , body breaking down

Likely tired but can't know for certain

• Shes probably locked in a contract and the risk of injury could jeopardise things. Even if thats not the case, shes right to look after herself first. What does this country put into athletics, sweet FA.

Every time an athlete steps on the track they risk injury. Your point is illogical here

Anyway, I wouldn't take it to heart. Not the first sports-person to pull out for no real reason.

Shur you could say that about any athlete "locked" into a contract. They may as well stay in bed so.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yes, they had to put some label on it....

All these athletes carry niggles here and there. Of course they do with the insane efforts they ask of their bodies.

She had three races and has three days recovery to the 400 metres relay. I just don't buy this "tired" nonsense. I doubt I am alone, but god forbid anyone could criticize and question it.

• Advertisement

MJ earning his fee here getting stuck into discussion with coe

He's good actually

He's lucky Jakob was only at 88 percent and with a sore throat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Ceepo

When Klaver was asked about running the 4 x 400 and rounds of individual 400m, she said it was easier than her normal training week

Bit of hype about Lyles possibly breaking the world record tonight. Don't think he'll break it, but I think 19.2x is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Every time I have seen Adeleke run she has looked heavy legged. Maybe thats just how she looks and always will look, but I'm not surprised to hear that they have pulled her out.

And quite frankly, its the relay and they aren't winning it anyway, so let the others have the chance to get their names out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Just looking at who has qualified for the men’s 4x100m, Is Rob Walker talking nonsense here? It’s top 3 plus two fastest losers…

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bike2wkr

She's had a long long season let's not burn her out! Giving others a chance too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭secman

Listened to her coach on Newstalk last night, she has a slight lower back issue. It was a very interesting interview, the minuscule detail they get into to shave mili seconds off their times, their gate, posture, use of arms , really is amazing. Coach said they had discussed technique mistakes she made in the Final which cost her probably a second.

Michael Johnson also recently made reference to her arms not being used properly, she's still learning to run 400's to the absolute highest levels. It's on a podcast , well worth a listen .

Nothing to do with "not being arsed" !

Post edited by secman on

• Advertisement

Keely looking good

May have to settle for bronze I reckon

Good heat from reekie

Looked in a bit of bother coming around that bend but serious burst of speed.

Her and Hodgkinson (especially) both decent medal chances, but lot of the big contenders seem to be in third semi.

Yes, she navigated that so well after almost getting boxed in. Maybe a medal contender if one of the big three mess up.

Lyles runs 19.5 tonight

Jackson 21.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Reekie won’t be far away from the medals. That was an impressive burst of speed.

Will be interested to see how Mu goes. It looks like Moraa won’t defer to her and will take the pace. Hodgkinson would benefit from Mu taking it out hard, with both of them getting ahead of Moraa.

Will be fascinating to see how it plays out on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Both these 200m finals should be good!

My goodness

Budapest is a lovely spot have a great time. Recommend thermal baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭supernova5

Jackson Jamaican jammer... wow

Jackson phenomenal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement