Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Here we have it, you want cheap food but don't want to support the producers. Took a long time to get ya to this point but fair play, you persisted and we got there eventually.

There isn't butchers in every town now for 2 reasons. 1) cost of compliance with food safety standards went through the roof and 2) people had the option in supermarkets to pay less for their meat and they chose that route. Nothing to do with farmers at all. Supermarkets could do this due to no ban on below cost selling and they were able to make their markup on other items to remain profitable.

What do farmers move on to? Lets say I have 50 acres and I'm just scraping by. I've inherited from my parents and I've worked on it all my life. It's all I know. I'm mid 40s. What do I do?

Every jaysus industry in this country are looking for handouts. Every single one. All of them. The difference here is that the government and EU have pursued a policy of high quality food which is plentiful. They've also allowed supermarkets and retailers to define the prices without acknowledging the costs to get the food to them. So if the government are forcing you to do something, then payment should be coming to you to help you do that. Again, you're thinking that reducing the number of farmers means a rise in prices for their produce. Well, farmer numbers have been falling for over 20 years yet the prices received are static, while other costs have risen. Are you willing to pay the real price of food?

You are 100% right that Ireland could produce the same amount of food on the same land with less farmers. Food production is not linked to the number of farmers.

What has the ploughing got to do with anything? There'll be rich and poor there. Most farmers don't have workers, and many are family. Sure most farmers don't earn enough for a wage for themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

I'm delighted to hear we have no chance of meeting our 2030 emissions reduction targets. The less money we waste on this fiasco until European public sentiment changes (as it inevitably will), the better. Needless to say, those with their faces in the trough are looking for budget spending on infrastructure that benefits them. From the Biz Post:

Budget 2024 will be the government’s final chance to safeguard plans to achieve a 51 per cent reduction in carbon emissions by 2030, according to a representative body for the wind industry [the leeches at Wind Energy Ireland if you hadn't guessed] ...

The body is also advocating for the electrification of the energy system, highlighting the need for a strong grid infrastructure system to distribute any renewable energy generated to homes, businesses and transport systems. “Budget 2024 is an opportunity to provide adequate funding and financial incentives for key infrastructure like EV charging points, facilitating commercial car fleet electrification, industrial and domestic heat electrification,” Cunliffe said.

The submission, entitled Ireland’s Energy Revolution, also recommends the establishment of a National Climate Emergency Communications Unit to “empower” communities to become a part of the nation’s response to the climate emergency.

How about getting wind energy prices down so they can compete without a deluge of public money? Concentrate on that instead of rushing out press releases every time we get a few gusts of wind, or natural gas prices briefly spike higher than wind. Speaking of which ... natural gas prices are staying firmly low at pre-2021 prices. Last month we were seeing the same prices as five years ago...

Not hard to guess why either. European storage is 90% full and it's barely the end of summer. Not only are they two months ahead of schedule but there are plans afoot to start filling up Ukraine's huge storage capacity. Most of that is nearer their safer western border, much of it is underground, and obviously they won't be needing it for transiting Russian gas anymore. It could help buffer European supplies considerably.

Kind of tragic that a war-ravaged country in central Europe is doing more for European energy security than our own storage-bereft island, thanks to Sleepy Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

What do farmers move on to? Lets say I have 50 acres and I'm just scraping by. I've inherited from my parents and I've worked on it all my life. It's all I know. I'm mid 40s. What do I do

You do exactly as any other person in their 40s who is made redundant you try to find other work what makes you special above everyone else if you can't make enough at your business then you move on you are in the lucky position you have 50acres to sell

That's all I'm saying treat farmers like everyone else sink or swim

https://www.politico.eu/article/viewpoint-farming-without-subsidies-a-better-way-why-new-zealand-agriculture-is-a-world-leader/

I get ya. Simples. When the construction industry went to **** sure didn't all the workers go selling clothes and working in Delis. Forgot that. Now you want someone to sell their land. Any ideas to who? If farming is non viable anymore because you've cut the supports and the markets aren't paying anymore - who pays for the land? And if many more do it then where do those 220k working go now that the inputs from farmers (meat/dairy) is reducing. (just on that, last week we seen the milk processors out looking for a handout from government if the government follow through on the proposed herd reduction as the processors will lose millions of litres of their cheap input. There wasn't any proposal from them saying that now they have a bigger demand that they'd pay more for the product!)

Look, at this stage we've established that you don't know how agriculture works and while I'm willing to help educate you, I'd suggest you go to the "Farming and Forestry" section and see what's happening on the ground.

Oh you can be sure I know how it works it just doesn't work like other industry

You asked what do you do if your farm fails and I said exactly as anyone else what makes you special that I have to support you more than a factory worker who's factory closes down

All farms won't fail and eventually we will only be paying for the ones that are needed

Look at new Zealand no subsidies most efficient farmers riddle me that

Look I get you are involved and passionate but that doesn't mean your industry is not living in the real world

• Advertisement

Why would a farm fail?

Factories aren't the same as farms. Comparing is pointless.

You're argument is not making sense. You don't want to support farms yet you don't mind supporting farms who don't fail!

Have you seen any New Zealand farm? They are an environmental basket case. Between out wintering, no effluent storage, no slurry storage, no sheds and bobby calves among other things, they are far from what we should be aspiring to. What they can get away with there is a million miles away from what happens in the EU.

I can't say I'm passionate but I know what I'm talking about most of the time and I'll hold my hands up when I'm wrong. So far though, apart from water quality which I acknowledged, I'm on the money here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Takes balls to admit when one is wrong. I only wish some of our politicians’ from all sides would grow a pair.

Kudus to You Roosterman👍👏👍

You were the one that asked if you had 50 acres just scraping by what could U you do I answered that you were the one that said it wasn't working and I said do what everyone else does what makes you special a question I asked now numerous times but no answer

Yo do exactly the same as a factory worker or anyone else who doesn't feel the taxpayer owes him a living such arrogance to say I inherited 50 Acres worked hard so what am I to do

Welcome to the real world you know nothing about

You also said the ploughing would have rich and poor just showed how our of touch you really are in you subsidy supported bubble if you think the poor are at the ploughing

Poor is having to decide to have cheap mince burgers or put on the heat poor is having to move lightbulbs from one room to another poor is watching your kids going to bed hungry believe me there are lots of families like this right now in Ireland but none of them farm families

Farmers love to argue they are providing food the backbone of rural Ireland blah blah truth is even though you can't see it there are way too many of them in Ireland they are destroying the environment and they haven't a clue what is like to live in the real world

And New Zealand is not as you say

As regards Bobby calves etc as you said just look at the recent rte investigates re calves in Ireland disgraceful stuff

Pleas read that article it might educate a little also shows USA most heavily subsidised Agri sector is also the most inefficient

Post edited by xl500 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

New Zealand and the USA have completely different farming models to Ireland. There's a reason why US produced meat is banned in Europe. You haven't a notion what you are talking about and are comparing apples with mushrooms. This thread is about the Greens destroying this country, yet somehow you've managed to dream up a far worse proposal than any Green ever would. The financing of your model is farcical, the benefits minimal and the repercussions on livelihoods devastating - but for what? A few people might be on PAYE rather than self employed (you still haven't explained how this is better) and a whole lot more will become unemployed and require further support or will have to change industry. All those changing industry will also be competing with other former employees from other industries who were replaced by AI in a race to the bottom. What's the benefit? No improvement in the greater good, more intensive farming (likely less environmentally friendly) and your precious Economics 101 in the bin. Your ideas make Eamon Ryan and Co. seem like intellectuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Remove subsidies and see what the public thinks about farming.

Farmers should be paid a fair price for their product and be allowed use their land as they think best. The lack of transparency only works in favour of the big processors like Kerry and Glanbia.

• Advertisement

Looks like the European Commission is about to face its very own climate case as campaigners feel it doesn't go far enough

Bet the farmers won't mind the green solar grant more than anyone else

No the point was USA is one of the most heavily subsidised Agri industries and look at the state of them

New Zealand has no subsidies and one of the most efficient Agri sectors

I'm well aware they have totally different farming models

Did you even read the article I linked

Is any more evidence was needed 85% of nitrate pollution attributed to Agriculture

Guess who pays the fines you can be sure it won't be farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So excise duty increases of 7c/ltr on petrol and 5c/ltr on diesel next week - just in time for back to school. Designed you could say to stick it to rural Ireland where state policy for decades has been to contract services and oblige citizens to drive.

Then more carbon taxes coming up on motor fuel & heating products.

Going to be very popular.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,124 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

An Taisce having another go at agriculture while totaly ignoring the pollution caused by urban centers. Quelle surprise.

Seeing as you believed from your posts earlier that rural septic tanks were the major sewage polluters, perhaps this from a recent Environment Protection Agency report will clear that up for you, and who knows maybe even make you wonder why these statistics were not included in An Taisce`s report.

You've really got a complex if you think this is designed to "stick it to rural Ireland" as you say

• Registered Users Posts: 15,124 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I saw that back some time ago. Just more absolute lunacy curtesy of greens.

I`m surprised they didn`t chip those 15.7 million trees, ship them to Drax in Yorkshire, and tell everyone it was for the good of the planet as burning them is carbon neutral.

Why would anyone read your BS link when you don't read posts by people who actually know what they're talking about and just post any old random claptrap in response?

You've linked to a poorly written opinion piece in some undergraduate NY university magazine and want it to be held as a bastion of proof? Not a shred of evidence in the entire article - which I guess matches your modus operandi. It was likely written by a kiwi and might even be your own for all the obvious bias. Did you write it while flunking your Economics 101 course?

Post edited by machiavellianme on

• Advertisement

@xl500 I'm afraid I've pulled out of replying to you. No point arguing with the likes of you as you just bring me down to your level. I will correct you on one thing. I know plenty about New Zealand. I've lived there, worked there on various farms and even did 2 years with the equivalent of Teagasc out there. Put the legislation and regulations the EU have onto NZ and the agri industry would close overnight.

All I can say now is that I'm afraid you're one of the more clueless posters in this thread for a long time. But best of luck and hope we meet again

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

New Zealand my arse in terms of quality agriculture and a model that the farmers journal and teagasc have promoted here for yrs.New Zealand this,New Zealand that.

about 15 odd yrs ago there was a new Zealand journalist who wrote for the journal.she went back down under and ear to the ground done a piece about a couple of years later.it was an eye opener indeed and far from the rosy picture we were lead to believe.

Again caused by agriculture but of course all the farmers here say I am wrong

Not one of them has taken any responsibility for the state the country is in they constantly opposed the nitrates directives and we the taxpayer pay the fines

I believe the green policy's are trying to save this country from the absolute disaster that agriculture has brought us to

Of course my linking to New Zealand is attacked mainly because our farmers want the subsidy system to continue

If course New Zealand has environmental issues but we have very serious environmental issues caused by agriculture and no amount of dissing me will change that

New Zealand will have to clean up their act of course but they will still be non subsidies

I believe and know agriculture has caused untold damage to the environment in Ireland the evidence is clear but farmers again just want the gravy train to continue or of course be paid to clean up the mess they created

And as for the rural turf cutters well again the evidence is clear huge environmental damage awful emissions but of course it's part of their culture

Nothing to do with the free fuel no one else gets should be taxed as BIK

But of course Green Policies are ruining this country

Post edited by xl500 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

You do realize that Lough Neagh is in a different country. But judging from some of your nonsense posts here you probably don't.

Exactly the answer I expected people here were quoting EU and they were part of EU until a short time ago unless you believe that damage was done in the last couple of months but just hang on there I will get you evidence of some lakes in this jurisdiction

Oh that didn't take long

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/pea-soup-lakes-and-rivers-without-fish-no-progress-in-ending-pollution-says-environment-agency/a1123719391.html#:~:text=Worst%20for%20phosphorus%20were%20lakes,was%20Farnham%20in%20Co%20Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

I’m a farmer and want proper prices for my milk.not subsidies that were calculated 23 yrs ago and not worth a dam now in real terms.if I could I would get more milking the social welfare system than what I get in the infamous cheque in the post.but hey according to u all farmers are bastards

Well in all my posts I never used any profanity I am only pointing out green policies are not destroying this country but trying to save it and the horrendous damage done to the environment by agriculture

I can also say with certainty you would not get more milking the social welfare system than milking cows

How can you say that with certainty since you were whinging that you can't see any accounts from private farming enterprises?

Agriculture has existed since 100,000 BC and without it, all the folk being stacked high in the Green cities will go hungry and won't have access to biofuels. I don't see how agriculture is the cause of a human made problem in the last 100 years or so since heavy industrialization, commercialization and urbanisation.

You still haven't managed to answer any simple question posed to you nor have you managed to post any evidence of anything. Regurgitating student magazines and random reports from far flung locations doesn't refute the fact that Irish Agricultural produce is near optimal in terms of environmental impact vs quantity, quality, price and availability. Shipping hormone injected crap from South America et al or intensive farming mediocre products from New Zealand etc isn't without environmental impact either, and that's on top of all the removal of forestry to expand their available land and the actual emissions from their farming methods.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. The Green Party outlook on life gets ripped apart by the concepts of emissions offshoring and the ability of people to leave the island should they not wish to live under a dystopian impoverished existance.

If you cut beef production without demand, it'll be replaced by less environmentally efficient beef from abroad as you say

If you make people have worse lives by restricting their quality of life (an unfortunate but real byproduct is emissions), they will leave and emit elsewhere.

As many young people in Ireland are currently done, you can find their emissions under New South Wales and British Colombia.

• Advertisement

British Columbia one of the most heavily forested regions in North America but guess what domestic woodburner stoves are banned in the lower mainland that's the equivalent of banning turf in Ireland but at least the Canadians are aware there are issues with burning carbon fuels imagine trying to get turf stoves banned here

Advertisement