Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

It's just weird what he has done to Twitter. He's taken an excellent app, not perfect but in social media terms it's about as good as it gets, and completely ruined it. The ridiculous price he paid, the stupid and unnecessary re-branding, blue ticks for people who pay (people with a few hundred followers paying to use a free app is a whole different matter !!), the "for you" section, and now threatening to remove blocking. It's just odd !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Latest plan is to removal headlines and other metadata (eg a blurb) from articles when they're shared on Twitter. This is some impressive degrees of stupid since it's ignoring basic web design principles. Advertisers apparently think the idea is dumb as ****. The fans shall declare this to a genius reinvention of how we view content.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The only thing I can think on this is that he doesn't want people leaving Twitter to read the article, and instead wants people to just check the replies where people discuss it to see what the article is about, and therefore get no actual useful information from the article itself and mostly just see people's opinions about it.

Then he'll announce that if the news sites pay a fee, they can have the headlines & blurbs back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Does a day go by where he doesn't do or say something completely stupid?

The man is a textbook example of the fact that wealth is not an indicator of intelligence.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Then he'll announce that if the news sites pay a fee, they can have the headlines & blurbs back.

That is clearly the plan.

A terrible , poorly thought out and doomed to failure plan , but that is clearly the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭francois

Interesting article on Space Karen in the New Yorker

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/08/28/elon-musks-shadow-rule

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Anyone else having hassle this morning?

I was browsing away and it suddenly asked me to authenticate my account (something I done long ago) and it asks me to complete one of those little puzzles but when I do it's just a blank screen and all I can do is refresh and start over.

Panic over - a change of browser and I'm back in the room...and you'll never believe it..

I'm following the dear leader again haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

As if it isn't bad enough there, trump has returned.....a **** show

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

Yep, he would only return if he felt it would benefit him. Wonder if Musk contacted him privately

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's interesting how this site (Vanilla) hasn't yet got around to supporting embeds from x.com - still only supporting twitter; that's telling. Well, it also tells that Vanilla is slow to update and respond very dynamically - but that's another subject altogether.

Cos I was looking around while driving this morning and it's crazy how often you'll see the blue bird logo; it's everywhere, on the back of vans, on billboards and signage, printouts from random SMEs. And I can't imagine there'll be much drive for these companies to redo their entire marketing stuff to match Musk's impulsiveness. I'll be curious to see how long that little blue bird endures despite Musk's best efforts.

Even a cursory glance across some daily websites I haunt, I still see that blue bird. I've only spotted one site so far (letterboxd) that has updated its Twitter logo to the X - and yeah, it looks a bit crap compared with the impact of the bird.

Is Trump tweeting?

I cancelled my account but may dip in and out when people are apoplectic

Edit - and i suppose this is everything that's wrong with social media; more conflict, more views

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nachouser

The European Union's tough new laws on social media content have officially come into force

The 60m+ plus 0 follower accounts he has following him might be a bit of a worry now.

The fact threads are unreadable if you don't have an account is pretty bad too. Previously I would link people to them and people could read a multi tweet post. Now I just don't bother linking across cause a lot of people can only read the first tweet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This will be interesting. I see no great movement yet with Threads coming to the EU - wonder were they stalling til this came into effect so they could address all the privacy issues in one go.

Musks reply to Breton; "We are working hard on this."

Scroll down a few pages on the timeline and blue-ticks are sharing Nazi symbols comparing the EU to the SS.

Twitter is farked.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,607 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trump & Tucker are being forced onto my feed everytime I open twitter in the last day and I follow neither of them.

So Tuckers 20billion trillion views are actually forced views on peoples feeds.

Zoolander had Blue Steel. Trump's look is more Red Cheeseburger.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Must have tapped out the suckers on truth social.

• Advertisement

I'm honestly amazed Truth Social has lasted as long as it has, though I'm guessing almost entirely off the back of it being a bullhorn for Trump and nothing else; did it ever exit the invite/beta stage? I'm gonna presume most other users are just conservative Americans ranting about Woke this, BLM that, and lots and lots of antisemitic / racist dog whistling.

Not only that, it seems to push news tweets to android UI about 24 hours after the event. I don't really use the app anymore, so it pushes random crap at this stage. I would say my personal usage and tweeting have dropped off a cliff since they started modifying the algorithm. Similar for my general friends group.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering Google and Facebook pay some news publishers in a number of countries rather than the other way around, that plans definitely going to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭francois

Just noticed a new "report illegal EU content" option on the app

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I wasn't aware they had done that but it would fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,548 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 29,934 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No surprise those who want to post vile tweets are in favour of anything that weakens restrictions against such conduct.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'm surprised it took this long, but sure enough the complete absence of any account verification with Twitter Blue is having an obvious effect: account scamming, trying to fool people into thinking they're interacting with a legitimate support account.

Interesting booking(.)com is one of the companies who are paying the hefty monthly fee for the "gold" status.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

I hate Twitter and never look at it but I do recall for years political liberals making the losertarian argument that it was a private company which could choose or not choose to host whatever content blah blah blah

That was the justification for excluding conservative/right-wing/whatever views.

Aren't the losertarians now getting what they asked for? Just decamp to another platform.

Alternative is to treat social media companies like Twitter and Facebook, and indeed Google, as information monopolies and break them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

They can indeed do what they want (within the law which twitter seems unsure on). I can point out the flaws in what they are doing and pointing out cases of hypocrisy such as claiming it is now about free speech. Generally I have not seen anyone say that twitter can't have blue ticks or whatever, just pointing out that it won't have the effect many claimed beforehand and pointing out it is not neutral. They have the right to be the next Truth Social but claiming they are neutral now is silly.

Plus the cult of personality around Elon is an interesting effect worthy of discussion.

Advertisement