Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Spain are the winners! 🇪🇸 👍👍⚽️ 🏆 That means that I’ve won the Boards sweepstakes! 😁😁

Now, where’s me prize?

Watched the match earlier - only one of three I actually watched on TV given the time difference and being on so very early. It was a good match and England played quite well but it was pretty clear that Spain were the better side.

And lads, for all your supposed disinterest in the 2023 Women’s World Cup - you sure did a phenomenal awful lot of moaning, whining and dissing here in this thread on the abilities of the ladies on the football pitch.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

Oh lord here we go, bringing politics into sport yet again.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I live in the UK and have been watching the tournament since day one, I also tune into both GB News and Talk TV (those bastions of the right wing brexity types) and they have been nothing but supportive of the England team and their achievements thus far.

While a growing number of people are happy to support women’s professional soccer and wish them well , where it comes in for ridicule is when some bad faith actors start saying they should be paid the same as the men’s game, these individuals blindly refuse to see that the professional womens game is subsidised in the UK by the Premier league and until such time as they can generate a comparable revenue on their own steam, then talk of salaries equal to the mens game is preposterous.

As the US comedian Bill Burr outlines in one of his bit’s on the WNBA the reason you are not getting paid the same is because “you don’t sell any tickets”.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Woohoo!! 😁💪💪🇪🇸🇪🇸🏆🏆⚽️⚽️

Now, where’s my trophy to rub with glee? 😁😁😉

• Registered Users Posts: 16,991 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

No it's not saying "all women's sports is worthless". I think you're putting words in people's mouths. The initial commenter didn’t say that and I definitely didn’t say that. I watch women's sports like tennis, even though the men are discriminated against. I watched the Athletics World Championships last night and watch the women's events the same as the men's. Heartbreaking for Hassan to fall so close to the finishing line. And the last event of the night was the mixed relay, a new novel idea.

It's not misogynistic to say the standard of women's football is far below that of men? Is it elitist of me to say I wouldn't watch League One men's football? No offence, but those teams would beat the women's national teams.

What I take issue with is the call for parity, when the commercial and the public interest isn't there, not even close when compared to the men's game. I have posted about how the TV figures are far lower, and the ticket prices are way, WAY cheaper for the women's world cup. But you won't hear the media point this out or that many weren't sold out. New Zealand gave away 10's of thousands of tickets. I might post a link to a comment showing the vast difference in prices later if I can find it.

It's like the men have something, therefore women are automatically entitled to the same pay and coverage, irrespective of facts. If there was a men's tiddly winks world cup on TV, women would demand the same. And it's always looking for a mirror and coattailing on men's popular sports. Soccer, rugby, GAA, etc. It's never for something like netball or Olympic handball as examples.

And a lot of this is woke nonsense, pushed by media and those who stand to make money from it. I said it before, it's no coincidence that Sky are the sponsors of the women's Irish team. Why not sponsor the men's Irish team? They don't have a sponsor. Or look at Man United, they didn’t have a women's football team until 2018. It's another string to their bow that they'll try to make more money from. That’s what's the concern behind many of the pushers, money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But it's pointless to compare the standard of women's football to men's. Many international men's sides of the 1940s and 1950s would probably lose to Shamrock Rovers today over 90 minutes, as the fitness levels of the latter would be miles ahead.

One thing that has been picked up on is that women's football is more likely to attract a family audience. Even now, in the era of Sky Sports and social media, the audience for live Premiership football is still men in their 20s, 30s and 40s. Women and children are a much smaller minority at every game. Something else that has been noted in the last few weeks in the Australian media is that those who attend women's football matches are unlikely to also attend men's matches - there may be an element of tapping into an entirely new audience rather than competing for an existing one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

... and therin lies the problem.

It was a pretty good game of football by all accounts, but everyone's talking about Brits this, woke that and the whole thing's **** political.

Yeah, it;s a different game - women don't have the power men do, so they play with more precision and tactics to compensate for this. Quick, shorter passes and link-up play rather than hoof it into the box and how the big no. 9 gets their head onto it without elbowing everyone else too obviously.

It's like... did yiz actually WATCH the game? Or just the BBC pre and post game so you could have a moan?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,881 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Im kinda relieved England got beat . We’d still be hearing about it in 60 years time 😷

• Registered Users Posts: 16,991 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was going to post this link about ticket prices in my comment from earlier.

The women's world cup followed a very different pricing structure and it aimed largely at families because it had to. It also helps with the optics, instead of having half empty stadiums. Despite this, not all matches were sold out.

If it followed the pricing model of the men's WC it would have been a total failure. The men's game doesn’t need to compromise on price, it could have sold out many times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

To an extent you are referencing two completely different aspects of parity/equal pay.

You talk about ticket prices/broadcast revenue etc at the World Cup, and this is part of a general debate of whether FIFA should give equal prizemoney. You are correct obviously that FIFA shouldn't do this as the revenue this comp brings in is just a fraction of the Men's event.

However, the other debate about parity is at national level. Players get paid a stipend by their association for international appearances/training sessions etc. It's not a fortune by any means (the pride of playing for your country thing). Indeed for EPL male footballers it's a token/trivial sum compared to their club wages. However for most associations the amount they pay to international women players is still less than the men. Some associations (most notably USMNT and USWNT) have moved to make it the same amount.

This strikes me as a fairly reasonable thing to do. There may be elements of subsidy, as clearly the men's national team will usually be bringing in more money, but it wouldn't cost a huge amount. Also reasonable imo that everything else (food, transport, hotels, facilities, medical care) should eventually be the same for all international teams.

Like I don't think any of that is controversial. No-one (with a brain) is suggesting that the best female players should be paid 8-figure salaries at club level.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭sekond

I'm not sure what to do with myself this week.🤣 There's no morning football, no highlights to watch most evenings, and the 11yo isn't setting her alarm for increasingly early times to make sure she catches the matches.

At least her own league starts soon, so that'll keep her occupied. And I think we may have to choose a local-ish LOI women's team to go to watch before the next out of the WNT...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No footballer ever should be paid 8 figure salaries be it Men or Women. That is just stupid and wrong giving someone an 8 figure salary for running around a pitch and kicking a ball.

The most any of them should get should be £200,000 in a year and even that is too much.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Why? And why that figure?

Elite sports people deserve a big slice of the cake. I don't begrudge them a big salary.

You have a backward attitude imo.

Exactly this.

Salaries are ridiculous but the players are the stars and the reason people watch it, I would much rather see these players, largely from working class backgrounds earning well, then the owners who generally couldn’t care less about the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,556 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Katie's goal nominated for Goal Of The Tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to soccer, but having looked at the clips my vote would go to Linda Caicedo's goal, though really Sam Kerr's, Esme Brugt's and Mina Tanaka's were all up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I miss the WC too. Some very exciting games. I think Kerr's goal was the best considering the context etc.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,556 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes, especially given it was a WC semi final and against a strong side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I voted for Linda Caicedos one myself. It was between her and the Argintinia Sophie one.

I think some of them in this were not that impressive at all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I don't think you have ever watched a mens game if you really think any of that.

• Advertisement

Here's a though: instead of making a post about the person you reply to, how about you actually make a post about the comment?

Fair enough., how is this for you then

Yeah, it;s a different game - women don't have the power men do, so they play with more precision and tactics to compensate for this. Quick, shorter passes and link-up play rather than hoof it into the box and how the big no. 9 gets their head onto it without elbowing everyone else too obviously.

Women do not play with more precision or tactics to compensate for their lack of power. There is no more "finesse" in the womens game over mens, the mens game uses more precision, power, tactics, you name it over the womens game. It is a faster paced game over all, so they don't just "hoof" it and elbow everyone out of the way, thats a fairly reductionist way of looking at it.

And before you ignore the above and try say I am against womens football or something, I throughly enjoyed the Womens World Cup, great games and skill on show. It is just different, in every way, to the mens game.

There ya go. See how easy thst is?

Now, for the record I've watched a lot of football. Mens and wonens. I have a job thst entails watching Hertha, Union Berlin and Turbine Potsdam (although not the last one now rhat theyve been relehated).

And I never said 'finnese' that was you. I said quicker - not speed in terms of the players, but the movement of the ball. They pass more and dribble less.

The final was much less cagey than any men's game I've seen recently. This is a common feature of women's football - they don't mess around at the back, they go forward quicker. There's no 'tiki-taka'. That's not saying its better or worse, that's saying it's more interesting. Especially if you're neutral.

And I openly said if was a different game - that was the whole point of my post....?

What is quicker? The ball or the players, I don't understand what you are saying.

You watching 3 teams is all well and good, but that is hardly a barometer for your point. Watch Barcelona, Man City, Inter Milan etc, you will see the difference.

Not sure what "cagey" also has to do with the difference between mens and womens game, the mens final last year was a classic, and it was back and forth so much, they pile forward at a much faster pace (with more accuracy as well) than the women do. The mention of tiki-taka pretty much disproves your point as well when it relates to the movement of the ball, which is fast and accurate passing.

I properly enjoyed the WWC, it was brilliant. However, the mens game is generally just faster paced overall.

I have watched the orher teams, not just from venue - but it was the comment about not watching football more.

Beyond that I'm not sure what your problem here is? You say you watched a,lot of the tournament, so presumably you got something from it, why attack me for saying I enjoyed the final?

I am not "attacking" you for enjoying the final. I was clear I was referring to your statement of "women don't have the power men do, so they play with more precision and tactics to compensate for this. Quick, shorter passes and link-up play rather than hoof it into the box and how the big no. 9 gets their head onto it without elbowing everyone else too obviously."

Again, I also enjoyed it, but saying that women use more precision and tactics to compensate is a stretch.

Huge escalation in the Spanish 'kiss' scandal. The entire women's squad are now saying they will refuse to play any more matches unless Rubiales is sacked as President.

Fair play to them I say. The way that creep has doubled down on his actions in the last few days and refused to acknowledge he did wrong and caused considerable offence to the team and many others is very unseemly.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes kissgate rumbles on he should have got a slap

Spanish player Jenni Hermoso has said "in no moment" did she consent to a kiss from Luis Rubiales - as Spain's World Cup-winning women's football team announced they will not play any further matches for their country until the "federation leadership is removed".

A total of 56 players, including all of the 23-strong World Cup-winning squad, signed a joint statement after the president of Spain's football federation refused to resign following his controversial kiss at the final.

The Spanish government has started legal action to suspend Mr Rubiales from his post

Not only is he not showing any humility, he's effectively saying "What's the big deal? Get over yourselves". No wonder the women's squad and many others are hopping mad at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We wouldn't really because deep down nobody gives a hoot.

It wouldn't resonate like how1966 did with the English people.

Advertisement