Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There needs to be a more muscular approach to policing

lol what, get a bunch of andrew tates and alpha males out there? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I've no great love of these teenage scrotes nor would I shed a tear for one should an ERU officer mag dumps into one, but we as a country are just not equipped for that kind of thing, it's sad but true. After the wailing from the parents who dragged the lickle angle up, and the Scrambler Funeral (which the Gardai would not be allowed go anywhere near) and the huge piss up session, then comes the compensation and the Gardai being dragged through the courts, and then we would cycle back round to the status quo, and actually go back a few steps, with the Gardai not allowed to go near anyone from a certain age group/area/social class. I'd rather see robust stop and searches, I'd rather see consecutive sentencing, I'd rather see a 3 strikes rule, I'd rather see 2 new prisons and at least 1 youth detention centre, though I'd be more likely to find a winning Euromillions ticket on the ground than any of that happening. What I wouldn't want to see is a dead teenager shot by police, because the headache is just not worth it.

We don't have the stomach for it, interestingly the last time there was a high profile incident with out of control youths when those two Gardai were rammed in their cars, Leo very astutely realized that if he brought up arming the cops, the knee jerk reaction would be "ah here that's a bit much, sure people might get hurt!" and he was right, and the matter required no further consideration and he continue on as jobshare taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭growleaves

They should drop the requirement for 'facial recognition' tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A tourist service based in Dublin was giving some statistics to Newstalk recently.

The tourist service, which helps tourists as victims of crime around the country, have said there was an increase in calls to use their services this year. There was an extra 61 calls made to the service since 2019. They did say to Newstalk that the majority of calls from tourists had crimes committed to them in DCC. The tourists who become victims of crime in the city centre do manage to enjoy the rest of the day in Dublin after the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'd rather not have lawless communities that we fear to police, and the reality is that we won't see the things we want to see as long as we fear those scrambler funerals. And most importantly we need to stop seeing violent teenagers as misguided victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

Accepting the legal system is designed to deal with people who find themselves on the wrong side of the law and the sanctions act as a deterrent being totally different to criminals and criminality through repeat offending that don’t respond to the current legal sanctions is the starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

You have a very active imagination.

And like most of the other idealists, you want to have your cake and eat it.

Better law enforcement, curb anti-social activity, but without putting in place the measures to accomplish these things.

I will agree on the point concerning body cams someone made though. They should be in effect.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Saw Garda in an unmarked car pulled over and questioning someone at the beginning of Aston Qy as I went past this evening. Hallelujah.

And most importantly we need to stop seeing violent teenagers as misguided victims.

Yes.

Your screen name is appropriate.

I think I get the gist of what you're saying, and I agree.

What is this sanctions act you speak of?

• Advertisement

Think this will work?

If nothing else, might encourage them to focus on more genuine and pressing matters of justice,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭nachouser

You can file this under "things that will never happen." But possibly off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

He's just genius (mad) enough to go ahead with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Short answer same as his plan to remove the block feature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Body cams might be nice , but how do people think that will help ? without competent and capable leadership and political support which AGS do not have

loads of footage of little scumbags abusing Gardai ? rallying cars ? attacking innocent people for the craic

Judges still aren't going to lock them up and the publication of it will just became a social media plus for the wee parasites.

do you want to stop and change the behavior or deal with the aftermath ?

Bigger numbers, better training and skills, better equipment, better cars , computer and data bases that actually work, access to proper IT and the time to use all the above. Most Gardai do not need, want nor should they have Sigs

More firearms units. issued tazers , pepper spray that works, proper handcuffs

Judicial and political backing to use the above.

Instead we have semi feral creatures roaming the streets and self important obnoxious parents who have failed on their responsibilities to their children and to society who have the unashamed afront to get offended when anyone dares to call them neglect.

Like Ive said already if they started tomorrow it would take about two years to start to see the benefits. in reality its gona get a lot worse out there before it gets better folks

Agree with a lot of this.

Body cams are insurance for officers themselves in the face of potentially false accusations.

I don't agree with the "worse before it gets better part".

Improved enforcement I contend, would render dramatic results in the short term.

It's not like scrotes would have to accustom themselves to enforcement measures before they begin to have affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Wow, big deal you saw it, happens hundreds of times everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Was in the city centre yesterday or as some of us feral Dubs call it "town" and I spent most of the day walking around from College green/Grafton street to Abbey street and down to the IFSC and back up again, first time I have done that in a long time. Have to say there was a great buzz in the city, lots of Americans tourist walking around seemingly enjoying themselves and lots of people just going about their business. For me there was no sense of fear or anything like that and I walked from Grafton Street to Tara Street at about 9 last night to get the Dart home and again still lots of people about enjoying the city. Walking around I will say that a lot of the city either looks run down or derelict. The area from O'Connell Street, Abbey street, Eden Quay down to the Customs House is awful run down. Not sure if there are plans for regenerating the area but it should really be looked at. It is such a waste and could be so much better. It is also the same there as you come over the Talbot Memorial bridge at the customs house and there on the corner is derelict building and the same again just at the side of Tara street train station but that is all boarded up so it looks like it will be developed.

I didn't see a big Garda presence in any of these areas and only seen one pair of Gardai on foot patrol. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I will say that with a bit of planning that part of the city I mentioned could be so much better. Even down by the custom house there were people sitting on the steps on one side were tourists and on the other side where homeless people but all just minding their own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Some of the nonsense being posted in the media lately about Dublin is ridiculous. Someone wrote an article for the Irish Times saying there were no young people in the city any more. Ridiculous. I was on Drury St last night having a drink and it was packed with young people enjoying themselves. Town was really busy with all sorts and there was a great vibe, the nice weather helped. I mean if you're really worried about crime just stay away from North Inner City where you're more likely to see addicts etc., not much going on around there anyway.

• Advertisement

The last line in your post is what the problem is though. Even though walking around the amount of places with signs up looking for staff, kitchen staff, bar staff and floor staff. I won't accept there is nothing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I mean as someone visiting the city you could skip the north inner city for the most part, the nice parts are on the other side of the river

And that there is the problem, all the nice bits are on the other side of the river. When it should be a pleasure to visit both sides. But that section Eden quay from O'Connell Street down to Liberty Hall is awful, you could probably count the number of premises in use there on one hand and the rest are just empty or derelict. Then at the top of O'Connell street you have the Ambassador Cinema, Garden of Remembrance, The Gresham to name a few places and then there is Henry, Jervis and Moore street that has such potential to be an attractive shopping area as well as a historical area. Imagine if they did up the area and have walking tours that around the 1916 sites that you could go in a visit and that weren't some sort of vaping or phone unlocking shop. That whole area has just been left to fall into rack and ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Great to see that American tourist seems to have recovered without any serious implications.

Still wants to stay in irelandand all. Seems like a bit of a character so should fit right in on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭mikethecop

I think the promised body cams are apolitical lie. Cost technical logistical and legal issues will hold them up for years and they already have

Getting convictions isnt a the problem its the rest of the process that is the problem, curfew bail checks , JLO x3 or 4 . then probation act x2 or 3 then community service orders suspended sentencing, short sentencing early release TR . You could have 30 convictions before you do a week of a 3 month sentence before release

The resource to have improved effective enforcement is not present , bodies cars equipment necessary skills can not be created overnight. #

If you march in5 serials of public order units and sweep the entire of temple bar or talbot street (for example) of people who are causing the problems assuming you can identify them unless you maintain a presence there indefinitely they will be back as soon as you go, some of them wil live there or be homeless in the area .

Sort of how Dublin city center will probably be very safe this weekend due to increased presence and multiple public order units etc etc etc but next weekend who knows.

AGS has degraded to below the point where we can effectively by our physical presence deter street violence and the sort of behavior discussed in this thread, we are at this point barely able to investigate most of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The tender process for body cams began in June.

Prime time interview with Commissioner Harris.

10 minutes in, "totally unarmed, sat outside the house of a well armed criminal gang, feuding with another criminal gang".

Jebus.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭apache

I watched the interview on the news. It struck me as very strange how badly he wanted to become an Irish citizen.

Has he gone home now?

"If you want visibility, you have to free up the people who can be visible".

i.e. police are chained up in administration.

Is this not the primary issue?

Viewing CCTV footage, apparently some kind of legislative issue hindering this, or correct management of it?

Attempting to "placate" pulse-system, the enforcement record system, being another issue. i.e. doing unnecessary things to look good and inflate positive stats on "pulse".

Fear of suspension? Retorted with obligations of protecting public trust in the police force.

Some officers being unsuitable, explaining high early retirement? Another generalized response which gives no kind of answer.

Issues with the roster, no meaningful changes expected.

• Advertisement

This might sound like a long shot but, could they bring in a commissioner from mainland Europe?

Leadership is central to functionality, especially an institution like police.

Interviewer just mentioned possibility of prejudice toward Harris, an acting commissioner from what she described as a "dysfunctional force" (presumably referring to....... the RUC?).

Call me crazy but I'd like to see a commissioner brought in from the Netherlands, preferably Amsterdam.

If they can have drugs on hookers on full display, yet still one of the most beautiful cities in the world - the policing ethos they have is obviously effective (maybe not perfect, but a damn sight better than the free-for-all spectacle of the Irish predicament).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement