Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Real shame they missed that in their initial schedule.

How many players are needed at a press conference to name a squad.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭fitz

Maybe don't jump straight to assuming someone's done a sh*t job of planning, and give people the benefit of the doubt - not everything has to be turned into a drama or an example of incompetence, and we're not entitled to explainations about potential reasons either.

There could have been a family bereavement or some other personal emergency that's come up for some backroom staff or media manager that makes it easier to just pull in the announcement. Regardless of what they say about why the announcement was changed, we've no idea what's happening in the background.

Drama?

It's a discussion forum, it's not expected that everyone would agree with every post, that would be boring.

But I fail to see where you're getting drama from the few posts on the topic of the change of the date to announce our RWC Squad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Maybe Andy Farrell just felt like doing it Sunday instead of Monday? He can announce the squad whenever he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Shank Williams

Andy Farrell and the squad have embarrassed themselves and the country with that play like brothers Vodafone ad

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭fitz

There's a difference between discussing why there might have been a change and making snide sarky implications about the IRFU's competence and planning.

Why do you feel the need to criticize the change, with zero knowledge of it? It just comes across as making something out as a failure or mistake just so you can sh*t on the IRFU, so yeah...drama.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The choice of when announcing the squad has ZERO to do with the IRFU.

Nah, a few posters (myself included) having a discussion on the date the squad will be announced is hardly drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's true. I just got back from a work trip to South Korea and it's all anyone was talking about. If people on the street heard my accent the responses ranged from laughter to frenzied threats of physical violence. I eventually pretended to be Russian to keep a low profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

😄 do people really get so worked up over a bloody tv ad? I'm sure the lads have a bit of a laugh doing them and it's all part of sponsorship so has to be done anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Having watched a bit of the New Zealand South Africa match, I'm more convinced than ever that this is our World Cup. This is the worst New Zealand team to enter a World Cup. And by a good distance. We know we can handle South Africa, we are a far superior team to them. Everyone was worried about the quarter final but that is definitely subsiding. New Zealand and France are there for the taking. I can see us beating either of them easily enough. 10+ points. And all the other teams are no threat. Probably the worst England and Australian team to enter a World Cup also.

I know it might seem arrogant but I just can't see us being stopped. We are the best team, by a big margin. And in case you didn't know, the final is on the bank holiday weekend so we already have Monday off to celebrate but I've booked Tuesday as well! 😀 It's not counting our chickens but it's best to be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's as if the Mocker God's don't even exist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

If it all goes belly-up, I know who I'm blaming, and it ain't anyone in the Irish set-up. Can't help feeling Musicrules has now made it all but impossible for us to win.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Same lads blow their fuse when they hear the "team of us" commercial tag line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

Ireland have as much a chance as Belgium had in winning the last soccer World cup when they were the "number 1 team"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’m as confident as I’ve ever been going into a RWC.

But the truth lies somewhere between these posts.

Such an edgy and cool post. I bet it was written listening to some angsty and melancholic music.

What's the point of this attitude for a fan of sport? Supporting a team can be miserable enough. Even New Zealand fans have started to learn that. I don't think people take pride in expressing such unjustified cynicism in any other aspect of their lives. When work asks me to forecast revenue for my business unit, I don't get any prizes for writing 0 with a heavy sigh.

The above attitude seems wrong to me. Ireland have a great chance of winning the World Cup. I've the week off after the final booked already.

Edited; I was informed my post was attacking the poster rather than the post. I'm collecting warnings like Mack and Doris do MoTM awards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Not only is the above attitude moronic

Mod: Attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think with a few minor changes the selection against Italy will face Romania, this selection against Samoa will face Tonga, and the selection against England will face South Africa.

Against Romania:

Kilcoyne, Herring, O’Toole,

Henderson, McCarthy,

Baird, Conan, O’Mahony,

Casey, Sexton,

Lowe, McCloskey, Henshaw, Earls,

O’Brien.

R: Kelleher, Healy, Bealham, Beirne, Doris, Murray, Byrne, Keenan.

Against Tonga:

Healy, Kelleher, Bealham,

Beirne, Henderson,

Baird, Doris, Van der Flier,

Murray, Crowley,

Earls, McCloskey, Henshaw, Hansen,

O’Brien.

R: Sheehan, Porter, Furlong, Ryan, O’Mahony, Gibson-Park, Sexton, Ringrose.

Against South Africa:

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong,

Beirne, Ryan,

O’Mahony, Doris, Van der Flier,

Gibson-Park, Sexton,

Lowe, Aki, Ringrose, Hansen,

Keenan.

R: Kelleher, Healy, Bealham, Henderson, Conan, Murray, Crowley, Henshaw.

I think the final 33 will be (18-15):

1. Porter, Healy, Kilcoyne,
    2. Sheehan, Kelleher, Herring
    3. Furlong, Bealham, O’Toole,
    4. Beirne, Henderson,
    5. Ryan, McCarthy,
    6. O’Mahony, Baird,
    7. Van der Flier,
    8. Doris, Conan,
    9. Gibson-Park, Murray, Casey,
    10. Sexton, Crowley, Byrne,
    11. Lowe,
    12. Aki, McCloskey,
    13. Ringrose, Henshaw,
    14. Hansen, Earls,
    15. Keenan, O’Brien.
    Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

please don't quote obvious troll, I have him on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Musicrules

You may need to check out our results! Start with the 2 beatings handed out to New Zealand and work from there. And we're even better than we were back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's only after Ireland were knocked out of the 2019 World Cup that the re-reg accounts come to make shite out of the thread.

They're starting early this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Sorry!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

MOD: No one cares who has who blocked. It is not a topic for discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

With the earth shattering hot take..that Ireland won't do well at the world cup cause they don't do well at world cups ..which is all these wums are essentially saying. We get it..

Watching England Fiji reminds me how much I would love if Fiji Samoa and the Argies even Japan, turn that jokeshop of the other half of the draw on its head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Excuse me but NZ fans have known all about misery since 1995. And we're ready for more misery at the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

How are England so bad?

Terminal decline. They have some decent players. Is it the coaches, rfu?

Anyways, back on topic. Ireland won't be facing them(I wish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Only beating England by 19 points is appalling

Advertisement