Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Yes, she changed that style for the other books after some criticism that it made reading complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Riddley Walker’ by Russell Hoban. Set in England, in the far future, after some nuclear disaster sent humanity back to an Iron Age type existence.

Interesting story, written in a sort of futurespeak language. Hard to decipher at times but you sort of get into the swing of it.

The slight challenge definitely adds to the enjoyment.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭farmerval

On a great run of good books lately.

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante, recommended on here was excellent. Microscopic look at childhood friendship and the swaying fortunes of two young girls as they are kids and adolescents. I can easily imagine some people hating this, and also many loving it. It really catches the subtleties of friendship/rivalry etc.

The branded by Martina Murphy was an excellent detective novel set in the West of Ireland. Good thriller, little nonsense, good believable characters. Great easy read.

Troubled blood, Robert Galbraith. Had also read another Galbraith book recently Ink Black heart I think. Really enjoyed both. I like detective books where the results are from sheer hard work and tracking every little lead down.

I enjoyed Cloud Cuckoo Land. Took a long time to get into though. One of those where three or more separate story lines finally intersect.

• Advertisement

Second all that. Good book, well written. Entertaining in a bizarre sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Really must get back to reading books again. I convince myself I have no time. But I've plenty of time to scroll through crap on the Internet. Lots of good recommendations on here to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Rodfather: Inside the Beautiful (Ugly, Ridiculous, Hilarious) Game

Roddy Collins, Paul Howard

Just started but looking forward to this - should be a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Death of a Hero by John Parker. Book about one of The Disappeared, Robert Nairac, a British Army soldier who was murdered and disposed of by the IRA after he was rumbled while undercover to meet a potential source in a pub frequented by IRA members and people sympathetic to the cause.

As you can tell from the title, it's biased and pretty much glosses over all allegations of Nairac's collusion with loyalist terrorists in atrocities such as the Miami Showband Massacre, dismissing them as circumstantial. This is despite the presence of a soldier with a "posh" accent directing the killers in that atrocity (Nairac was public schooled and the majority of soldiers were from more working class backgrounds). Nairac also liaised with with MI5, MI6, RUC, UDR, SAS, informants and various loyalist terrorist factions in his intelligence remit and had proven ties to Showband killers Harris Boyle and Robin Jackson, the former who was a member of the UVF and UDR, and the latter who was a prized intelligence asset and one of the most prolific assassins during the troubles.

Similarly, Nairac's confession to army captain and intelligence officer Fred Holroyd regarding personal involvement in the cross border murder of IRA chief John Francis Green is dismissed, despite Holroyd's assertion that Nairac showed him a Polaroid of Green's dead body. Holroyd, a whistleblower, was famously excommunicated and slandered after divulging the depths of the Army's collusion with loyalist factions.

It basically comes down to whether you believe Nairac was a Walter Mitty character in over his head who exceeded himself, or whether he was at the forefront in the collusion efforts and dirty tactics alleged by Holroyd. Offered up as proof of his lack of involvement in Showband is the assertion he was in the UK at the time and not on active duty, but this still leaves open the possibility he supplied the weapons and planned the attacks.

A fascinating, if infuriating, read about one of the most intriguing characters in the troubles and one I couldn't put down once I started. Plenty of fascinating, sordid tidbits peripheral to the main story that flesh out the background events and also plenty of wistful testimonials about the man from those who knew him which give you an insight into a deeply complicated mind.

Post edited by JeffreyEpspeen on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,461 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Pharaoh by Wilbur Smith

Book 6 of the Egyptian Series, thankfully only one more book of his on my shelf to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Lost Explorers: Adventurers Who Disappeared Off the Face of the Earth by Ed Wright

This kind of potted history has a tendency to be dry and repetitive byt Wright has an eye for telling detail and a mordant with that makes this an engaging read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Being John Lennon - A Restless Life

Just started this bio the other evening - was always fascinated by Lennons story.

I'm reading Poor now. Mother of Jaysus. There were times I was bristling with anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

Oh of course. She's extraordinary.

The things that happened to her are enraging though.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

Yes. She has been utterly failed by society and her family as you can see in the book. In so many ways. And yet she is now giving back to society in her role as a psychologist. A remarkable woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,461 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Age of Ash by Daniel Abraham

Book one of the Kithamar Trilogy which centers on a girl from the slumd of Longhill who finds herself stepping into her brother's shoes when he is mysteriously murdered. Magic, scheming and thieving are common place in Kithamar but this book didn't really capture either my imagination or attention.

I didn't find any of the characters likeable and struggled through this book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Finished Palo Alto by Malcolm Harris. Throughly recommend it to anyone with a interest in history, business or technology.

On to Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe now. The Sacklers and the opioid epidemic.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’d never heard of the Sacklers . Looks interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Is it worth reading if you have already seen dopesick on Disney?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’m only a few chapters in but it is showing how the empire was built from the 1930’s onwards so I think I’ll get much more of business and family. Obviously non-fiction and drama are very different too. Always worth getting a few perspectives if it’s a subject you’re interested in.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Any recommendations for a good crime series

I enjoyed james Elroys LA quartet . Though I still think The Big Nowhere is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,590 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If you haven't read any of them before you simply can not go wrong with Raymond Chandler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

James Ellroy has been mentioned. I would add American Tabloid, the follow ups are quite good.

Davis Peace’s Red Riding Quartet.

The Bosch Series by Michael Connelly.

There is an Australian author called Jane Harper who I really enjoyed.

A couple Irish mentions: Tana French and Alan Glynn

Reading "Small Mercies" by Dennis Lehane, a very modern, almost performative, apologia for Irish-American racism during the busing controversy in 70's Boston. The author's own self-loathing and spite for his background drips off every page while the irony of accusing what seems like virtually an entire ethnic segment of people of being racist while perpetuating an endless cavalcade of Irish stereotypes and tropes seems to be lost on him. Virtually every Irish character in the book seems to be described as stupid, racist and prone to violence; every man beats his wife; every woman beats her daughter. Everyone, male or female, is an alcoholic. Every character's looks are described pejoratively, particularly the "pink skin" trope. Irish culture is a monolith in this book. And racism doesn't seem to exist among any other ethnicity in the book. There are no Polish-Americans or Italian-Americans in Boston or are they pure as the driven snow in their attitudes towards race? There is even a bit in the book where the cops call the people in one of the main character's neighbourhood "animals" and tell them to "clean up their own mess" after throwing rocks and potato grenades (yes, really) at cops after a black cop had tackled a fleeing criminal. This is accompanied by what, considering the timeframe of the book, has to be a weirdly uncompassionate veiled reference to the troubles in Northern Ireland at the same time: "And they pull out of there like an occupying army disgusted by those they're forced to govern."

Weird stuff from Lehane. Then again, an Irish girl called Phoebe Prince got bullied to death in Massachusetts and called an "Irish slut" and "Irish whore" by a group of people mostly of whom had Irish surnames, with a disgusting lack of condemnation in the press over there so excuse my complete and utter lack of surprise.

Post edited by JeffreyEpspeen on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yep, dopesick focused more on the individuals impacted while Empire of Pain is a history of the family and their oddness. Dopesick doesn't fully capture the breadth of their behaviour.

The Big Nowhere is one of the best books I've ever read. That ending took my breath away, though it all made sense in hindsight. What a masterfully crafted book. Ellroy is some man for writing memorable characters with unique, and believable, story arcs. No sentiment either. Just ballsy and pessimistic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Saladin Ane

Have just finished Sue Townsend's The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year ........ a laugh-a-page and one of the funniest books that I've read. Highly recommended

• Advertisement

I remember I was reading it and went into the living room to my housemates . It seemed I was in shock about ending

Post edited by cj maxx on

Advertisement