Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I honestly don't see Harris, who he is as a person, being capable of bringing in the changes, implementing leadership such to ensure the necessary changes come into effect.

He's probably not the worst commissioner, but what we need is radical reform.

Let me say that again: RADICAL reform.

And he's simply not the type of geezer that's going to get that done.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭nachouser

You should stop posting and have a sleep. Maybe stay off the sugar. You do not currently come across as a rational person.

"Image of a city that is entirely lawless........ is wrong".

He's diluting the issue, as it's evidently specific AREA's of Dublin that are garbage.

And central to the issue is, this essential "trash" culture that is given freedom-to-practice with unmitigated impunity, is what needs to get confronted - - once that's done, the functions of that central issue like feral youth, junkie maniacs etc., gets dealt with by extension.

And he keeps skirting around that with the predictable deft rhetoric.

"Safer than Paris or London" - jebus, are they comparisons?

Wouldn't be hard to look good when they're the bench marks.

He's looking to increase police force number from 13,800 to realistically, 16 to 17,000, to meet practical demands based on population increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Why the Netherlands ?

A quick look at the current assistant commissioners will show you that one is Canadian and a second one is also a former PSNI man.

Commisoners retire at 60 so in about two years or so , we’ll have a new one , maybe Irish , Dutch , PSNI or Canadian .

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Why? to satisfy sectarianism? imagine a protestant in charge of An Garda Síochána, imagine someone who recognises Northern Ireland as part of the United Kingdom being in charge of Poblacht na hÉireann police forces. No we have to sack him and hire a Mexican. At least they're Catholic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I have no idea why.

The media here had a total wobble the other day at the thought of extra armed garda patrols and now we were suggesting bringing somebody in from the 100% routinely armed politie in the Netherlands. Mad stuff, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭mikethecop

in 2002 they promised new uniforms . we got them last year

A simple public order arrest takes 3 to 4 hours of admin not including court time of course if computers printers and GISC working as they should.

Nearly all garda computers are 2nd or 3rd hand DOJ desktops loaded with PULSE IMS RDS LMS PALF and on and on and fail regularly taking weeks to repair or replace.

new players and drivers can not be downloaded to run the cctv systems due to admin lockouts and security setups. Sometimes stand alone non networked desktop is available or you use your own privately bought laptop

the PULSE system was bought as an already defunct database in 1999. it has glitch's cleaned up a few time a year but hasnt been updated. the CAD system is from the late 70s and uses MS DOS but is being updated to CAD2 , which is slower and more buggy but easier to use

The breath test scandal is a prime example of being told go out and create stats we dont care if you actually do it just record the stats

There are unsuitable members leaving who should never been recruited yes , but there are very suitable skilled and able ones leaving in disgust and frustration at the state of the organization after 5 10 15 or 20 years service. they are being snapped up by outside agency's in Ireland and abroad. Insurance company's IT and social media as well as state organizations like GSOC PRTB and HSE. The MET, western Australia and new zealand police as well as frontex all recruited in Ireland last year. I personally know 4 for 5 who went to OZ. The pay isnt better but they are much better run organizations. Labeling them as unsuitable is insulting and offensive from drew

there is no early retirement .

the roosters is the straw that broke the back of AGS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭Augme

Why is the roster issue the straw that broke the back? They were the rosters present covid and the rosters in place when the vast majority of the current force took up the role. If they had such an issue with 6 days in and four off they never should have become Garda in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

with all the americans in town this weekend i thought the cops might at least make the effort of looking busy.

no presence on grafton street this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Nothing to do with religion.

He was never the right man for the job as he doesn't have any normal policing experience. The RUC and the PSNI are not normal police forces.

he has come from a background of policing terrorism, of no community interaction with police, they did not police by consent, except for a small part of their community. He has brought in a policing model based on UK police forces, which they have admitted does not work in rural areas and are now getting rid of it in the UK.

he has no interaction with Garda members whatsoever, not only does he not know what it is like to be a Garda, he doesn't actually know what it is to be an ordinary policeman.

A commissioner from any country where the police are police, would do a much better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Amsterdam has some nice spots for a city break but it is a crime ridden sh*thole, way worse than dublin.

Fixing the Gardai is an easy job compared to overhauling our judicial system, as long as there's guys walking the street with triple-digit convictions we're gonna have the same problems no matter how well run the Gardai are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The system is bad but surely its not that bad! Did they not get a new uniform around 2005? Last year is the 2nd big change I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

I commented on here before about how I went to Dublin a couple of years back in Dublin and came across a gang of youths drunk kicking in doors in temple bar. I was with my young fella at the time and felt in very intimidating. This gang then proceeded to go down O’Connell st generally being a nuisance. What I could believe was there wasn’t one Garda about it actually felt unreal and lawless.. like how is there to help you if something did happen.

Fixing the Gardai is an easy job compared to overhauling our judicial system, as long as there's guys walking the street with triple-digit convictions we're gonna have the same problems no matter how well run the Gardai are.

No way man.

There's little to no preventative policing as is - that's what the current uproar revolves around.

The judiciary is as is, cause there's so little space in prison/detention-centers therefore they can't hand down meaningful sentences.

Or that's at least part of the issue, and no tax payer wants to contribute another 100 large annually per inmate, to house the anti-social-die-hards.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

Amsterdam has some nice spots for a city break but it is a crime ridden sh*thole, way worse than dublin.

And in terms of anti-social behaviour?

Hell no.

The two don't even compare.

There's crime like insane bike theft, narcotics, etc etc., but not even CLOSE to the same lawlessness in public you'd see in Dublin.

I was doing a play-by-play of the primetime interview;

Knowing that no one was realistically going to click the link and actually watch it.

the only change in 2002 was from good quality gortex type coats to non waterproof bomber type then to fleeces , everything else the same shirts and wool pants.

none of the current uniform, combats and t-shirts and softshell type jackets is waterproof , in Ireland and the quality is awful

you understand the phrase right ? last straw as it an accumulation of problems that have never been addressed ?

Ive worked 5 or 6 different roosters and this one is the most livable by far, tough as it can be to work 48 hours plus and average of another 12 (Finishing up jobs, covering other units, court operations or events) in a 8 day cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I mean we've been over this already, but there were 1600 muggings in Amsterdam in 2019, that's over 4 a day, and a tourist stabbed to death recently. Plenty of crime there. Many addicts on the streets. Plenty of good things about the place too though.

• Advertisement

Oh true.

But I'll rest my opinion at the following:

There is a completely different, and much more welcoming vibe than Dublin - way different feel.

But yeah, enough about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That's partly down to you having a chip on your shoulder and hating Dublin like most Irish people.

I was in the city centre today and Thursday night and there's a great vibe in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Ahh, so what you're saying is, what I thought was extraordinary was actually quite ordinary? Well all I can tell you is, perception is everything. There's been literally no Garda for years at this stage, and you can give me all the arrest stats or whatever, but anyone who's around the roads, towns and cities all day will tell you there are no Garda. Anyone needs a guard, they'll arrive several hours later if you're very lucky. Ask a taximan or anyone out and about all day.

There's been a noticeable Garda presence in the city in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Of course, it's a city that attracts lots of tourists with legal drugs and prostitution, and with those you always have crime. Also it's a "melting pot" which naturally brings more crime. So it's not a role model or a standard to aspire or to be compared to.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

I'm sure FFG will be able to help by finding a multinational accountancy firm that can write up a report on those IT issues ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would blow the whistle on any private laptop use for sensitive police data. Hackers wet dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

The prisons are overpopulated and can't keep pace with the artificially inflating population of the country.

Cause and effect.

The ratio of gardai has also fallen for the same reason.

Gardai are leaving due to a mismatch between job conditions and cost of living, the primary one being exorbitantly overinflated housing costs due to, you guessed it, a gigantic increase in population demand.

Cause and effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Prisons are overwhelmingly populated with Irish nationals, nothing to do with any artificial inflating of the population.

House prices started to rise as a result of the Celtic tiger in the early 2000s. People immigrated to this country because of how well it was doing.

Gardai were not leaving the job in big numbers in the early 2000s, but they do now, in no small part due to the reduction in pensions for new recruits brought in in 2013, which doesn't make it an attractive job to stay in, if they can find something better.so

Primetime the other night had an interview with 3 gardai that had left the force in the last 18 months or so, not one of them claimed cost of living is why they left, 2 of them with well over 10 years service have houses already, so nothing to do with housing either.

if you want to wonder why there is a housing crisis, maybe look at the fact that governments have been selling off social housing for decades, without building anything to replace them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement