Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

I'm only getting 6% on elec and 38% on gas!

I reckon it increases the closer to renewal time. Well, I hope so anyway!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Been running the numbers on the pinenergy. 5c offer.

For a few members (mainly on the renewable subforum) that have solar, large batteries and the ability to charge them enough in the 3 hrs, have an ev. Is able to run a 95% cheap rate.

Constraints,

300kwh odd day(in year)

6000kwh cheap rate ( maxing out a 12 kva connection for that 3 hrs for 4 months (1000/m) and 1000 over 2 months. - rest of year is covered by solar.

1789kwh of export.

And be able to stay within them limits.

€100 Cashback/credit

Estimated yearly bill is €140.

If you have a 16kva connection you could push it to 8000kwh+ over the winter.

That only increases the yearly bill to about 240..

Pinenergy is level pay only though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Have my Gas with Bord Gas. I got an email from them offering a 15% discount if I change my electricity to them also.

I never shop around. I've been with the same company years. Is it worth the hassle of changing providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Send me the old meter, you can have my smart meter. I couldn't find that 5c offer on their site. It's a terrible site to navigate. What fit are they paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Yes, most of the time. You are a bit late here though for now as the best rates were taken down by the companies but might return soon. No guarantee they will though. You should switch all your providers every year unless they are offering the best deals.

They usually just rub their hands when they see people not bothering to spend a couple of hours a year to save hundreds and even thousands by being loyal while they laugh all the way to the bank.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I got an email from airtricity in July saying my rate was up soon. I switched on 15th August 2 days before my airtricity contract was officially up. I didn't realise until I looked now at this last bill.

They charged me the 50 euro early exit fee for 2 days, am I at anything contacting them to try get it back.

I could just refuse the last direct debit could I?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It's the ev one, 46c Day though

To make it work you need to be able to either export a lot in the summer or be able to charge batteries enough to last you 21 hrs.

Fit is 25c+vat so 27ish

I would be pissed off with that, you can still cancel within your 14 day cooling off period but not sure if that would cancel out the fee since you never left. I would be sending an email now and ringing when open to complain and get the fee waived or threaten to go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I did switch that was the problem, when their retention team called me, they never mentioned the early exit, they just said they couldn't match that price.

Sorry, I thought you meant you just switched to the same companies new deal 2 days early and they charged you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Romero

Anyone who switched to Flogas Dual fuel or electricity only get a letter from Electric Ireland to confirm their meter type (I've the non-smart old style meter)? I got one today never had that whenever I've switched in the passed to Engergia or Bord Gais dual fuel offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It's actually from esbn, I got one every time I changed supplier over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

You broke the contract. I don't see what your complaint is. You owe them €50. I wouldn't want a rejected DD on my credit history nor would I want the hassle of dealing with them over €50. They will send it to a debt collector.

You could have been saving anything from 20-30% on your energy bills over the past few years. You've been subsidizing my energy costs, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭gripcasey

Hi. I'm just about to get Solar Panels in and trying to decide on battery size. What size battery do you think you would need to make this a suitable plan. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭wassie

For battery size head on over to the renewable energies forum. Plenty of great help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭wassie

It is bollox to get hit for the early exit fee for 2 days,even if technically you did break the contract.

Made worse by the fact you were talking to customer service. They could of given you a heads up that would happen if you switch out to early, as they should be very aware of that. In fact, you could argue they are not acting in the customers interest at all.

All you can do is ask. I've gotten out early exit fees from time to time. Last one was when I switched out Broadband provers, they waived early exit fee on my final bill by giving an equivalent credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

Only credit (not debt for electricity, gas, insurance etc.) over €500 is being reported to CCR

Yeah I see I should be shopping around. I've been with the same company for 20 years. If I change now do I just cancel my old direct debit or should I ring them? I should probably ring to cancel it. I don't want to be paying 2 at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

just pay the 50 euro in case you need to switch back to the company again, is it worth the hassle when you broke the contract early

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

With regard to breaking contract, make sure you get your dates right. Sometimes the day you switch from A to B isn't the day the new contract starts. Gov should abolish this practice as it is a barrier to switching imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

It will all be done in the background. You switch to new company, create a new DD and you're done!

I switched recently. Was in credit with Bord Gais, got the credit back to bank account. Never had to call them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Call them, I'd be surprised if they didn't take that back off your bill. It's happened to me twice, with Energia and Airtricity. Both times they took it off the bill.

Decide what company and plan you want to switch too. Call them or switch online, they will do the rest. You will get a closing bill with the old company. You can also ring your current company, they will make you an offer too stay.

Missed bill with DD always appears on your credit history was my understanding. I would say, i actually know very little about credit history so might very well be wrong on that.

He still needs to pay the €50 exit fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Signed up to that flogas CP 30c electricity last week

Got the DD mandate in the post.

Got a call from energia trying to get me back.

Offered 38c per kWh and €150 credit.

She mentioned my plan with flogas was 39cent.

Found that a bit weird as I signed up for the CP offer not the standard one.

Anyway to check what rate I'm signed up for with flogas to make sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

A question for those who managed to sign up for the Flogas community gas offer:

I got in before it disappeared, signed up about 2 weeks ago, and got my first bill during the week. The bill covers 12 days standing charge, no gas was used as I'd received my regular gas bill (also Flogas, as it happens) the week before and used the same reading.

The Tariff Category is "Fixed Gas 12 A23 RN".

Can anyone confirm if this the community tariff, or their regular fixed tariff? The standing charge is the same on both, so I can't tell. I'm not likely to get a bill with usage till October, and don't want to let it run that late if I'm on the incorrect rate.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

how does someone working for energy know you signed up for a discounted rate, they are just cold calling using the flogas advertised rates they see on the screen

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,091 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A very similar thing happened to me. About a week after leaving Energia and having signed up to the Flogas community plan Energia rang and offered 20% off (15% off was the best offer the previous week) stating that I would be paying 38 cents per unit with Flogas and with their (Energia) increased reduction and lower standing charge I'd be paying less.

While I had received confirmation from Flogas that I had been accepted into their plan I was a little worried about the statement by Energia that I would be paying 38 cents a unit so I rang Flogas and the rep there confirmed that I would be paying 29.99 cents a unit. She also confirmed that they do not pass any of that data on to Energia or any other provider and that Energia rep was merely quoting the standard rate of the Flogas unit rate which is freely available on their website. It was all a gimmick by Energia in an attempt to keep me as a customer.

So if you have had confirmation from Flogas then you don't have to do anything else.

Advertisement