Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭rogber

This guy is like Tucker Carlson, probably doesn't believe anything at all, just pushed buttons to make money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

100%. The method is the message.

Bumping him off in silence is far less educational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Pretty sure the Cyprus avenue is well closed off now. It used to be awash with Russian money but no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement

You certainly seem to enjoy his contributions!

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

But isn't it a bit weird asking brutal killers who spent the last year murdering Ukrainians to suddenly switch sides as if they've now "seen the light"? Wagner is hardly an organisation pointing the way to a bright new Russia. You want to be careful who joins your team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Wouldn't be the first time Russian's switched sides and fought against a Nazi dictator who was raging genocide in Europe in an illegal and unprovoked war.

Well they're asking them to join the free Russians not the UA proper so if they're killing orcs I doubt UA will complain. As for Russia - they're f'ed all the time so how can it get worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

She died of natural causes years later though. Not a very good comparison.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

Any further news on the rumoured hill 166 push?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Russians are very respectful of the law ( when its to their benefit ) especially concerning contracts if they might be contested in EU or other Courts. So all the "T"s will be crossed, and all the "I"s dotted. Hence the "sale price of €1", all perfectly legal and above board. Of course the reality is that the whole business was stolen, same as all the Aircraft that Putin grabbed and re registered as Russian. Russia is a terrorist state in every sense of the world.

That combination could work OK as its Russian-Russian. and what's more, they could do serious damage. You'll never know, if the march goes ahead, they could pick up like minded followers. If that happens, they will not be for turning..they'll have to be physically stopped,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Interesting reading about the second jet. I don't believe for a minute it is not linked to Wagner Group. It flew back from Azerbaijan to Moscow today.

From the article....

Earlier on Wednesday, another jet also set off from Moscow and appeared to be following the same route, completing its journey and returning the same day. The Wagner-linked social media channel Grey Zone said that jet was connected to the mercenary group. But the plane’s operator, Jetica LLC, denied this, telling Reuters on Friday that “neither the plane itself nor its passengers are related to Wagner and have never been”.

At this point in time, all help great fully received! Primary target is the removal of Putin and his cronies, what happens after that's achieved, is a matter for another day.

Actually yes I was going to add: it's amazing how often these people do get lucky all the time. For example baffling how the North Korean fat boy leaders never get killed, or Assad etc....they all either have very loyal circles or are indeed very lucky...

Little fat boy in N Korea, is easy. From birth onwards, the North Koreans are psychologically molded ( brainwashed ) into believing that everything they have, even Life itself, has come from the Great Leader. Plus, the chances of anyone from anywhere, getting close enough to kill him are beyond remote.

Assad on the other hand, has a different kind of protection., but just as effective. He's a member of a minority sect, the Alawites, and as such he's strongly supported by the other minorities, including the Christians. Pretty difficult to get near him as well. That's why both of them have survived. They are surrounded by by people whose lives not only depend on their leaders, but who actually believe in and support them 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Pavel here recalling how the Putin mafia moved into Crimea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Still waiting to see any confirmation. But there's a geo-confirmed strike on Ukrainian soldiers at the location here which is fairly close.

• Advertisement

That's an overly simplistic explanation. Both of them have plenty of enemies and there are plenty of people even in North Korea who see through all the bullsh*t. More likely these people, and Putin too, make sure their inner circle are both handsomely rewarded for loyalty and implicated if things go wrong, so that they all know: if the leader falls, they fall. Ideology alone is not enough,not even in NK (hence defectors).

Maybe Putin's next chef will take the more discreet option of poisoning his food, that would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

no doubt but still a big difference between Russia compared to the psychology of Britain and the US sitting pretty having ocean borders. I'd say the same for counties like Poland having to deal with bullsh1t coming from both directions

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The British/English counterexample is not great. They are not surrounded by an ocean and invaded both France I think and of course ourselves on occasion with a (or one) justification being this sort of ensuring security from "enemies" mustering against them in one or the other.

We had long detailed posts at start of the thread about the Russian leadership's need to feel "safe" from invasions manifesting in understandable conquering and crushing of neighbours. A kind of fatalistic attitude to it - You might not like it but Russia is powerful and that is how it is so Ukraine should bow down and accept Putin's demands and stop dreaming.

It is not 1700 any more. It is just not "acceptable" any longer IMO, if it ever was. Even if you don't want to bring morality and the idea of self determination of peoples into it and see yourself as a kind of hard nosed realist, weapons are too powerful and destructive now for this behaviour. There's many large and powerful countries in the world quite unhappy with their more or less settled 21st C borders and either jealous or fearful of their neighbours (not just Russia, they are not special) and several of them have nukes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If they are going for Ocheretuvate and Tokmak would it suggest they are trying to make the coast from 2 directions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

True in the past but nobody absolutely nobody wanted to invade Russia in the present. This idea of needing to have a geographical buffer is pure horsesht.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

yeah but since WW2 the British dont have any material "mainland" border concerns, anything they do foreign policy-wise is just down to general costs and benefits or whether there is a buck in it.

Putin certainly miscalculated and I dont think he understood what he was getting into. I'd be more positive with your last comments. This war has shown that smaller countries can stop larger ones dead. Drone tech means any small neighbour with a potentially aggressive larger neighbour can turn their country into a poison pill , it will create a whole new asymmetry , making land wars painfully expensive for the aggressor.

Ireland should take note here too, not that we have an aggressive neighbour (anymore) , but the Irish defence forces could get a lot of bang for their buck by investing in surveillance drones and armed drones and kill the argument that we dont care to defend ourselves.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

And I love that it's others must suffer for THEIR buffer

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

What the hell are you talking about? Where in my post do I say anything about 'poor Russians'? Are you that desperate for attention that you just invent things for the sake of starting an argument?

Overly simplistic or not, it works. How many people have managed to defect from N Korea? And as for many N Koreans knowing what's going on, that's simply not true, at least amongst the majority of the population. Keeping his people in " Permanent darkness" is what ensures the Jong Un dynasty stays in power. And as for the ones who would be in the know Kim is so paranoid that he killed the man who guided him to power, his own uncle. Jang Song. And then had the headless body displayed to senior N Korean officials. Or in other words, the ones who would be in the know. There are pictures of the Jong Un's literally everywhere in N Korea, and failure to show the proper respect can have dire consequences for any such unfortunate's caught not showing the proper "respect". He also keeps his people in a semi-starved state, which of course makes them more amenable and easier to control. Compared to S Korea's border guards who are all fit and healthy looking, Jong's are all undersized and undernourished. And that's only what happens on the surface. A colleague of mine spent two years there, and you would not believe some of the stories that I've heard about N Korea. Suffice it to say, Russians live in a comparative paradise. And that's saying something.

As for Syria, I spent nearly 3 years there myself, at a time when the war was raging full blast. Shooting and shelling was an every day / night occurrence. In the street I lived in, the lift hoist on the roof was demolished, 5 doors down, a mortar landed on the street causing massive destruction to both sides, and a few hundred metre's further on, a building was completely levelled. All this was in one direction, the opposite direction was just as bad, but further away from where I lived. But anyway, I digress. You are right when you say that loyalty to dictators can depend on said dictator rewarding these people financially for their loyalty, but that loyalty is not absolute. Loyalty to the highest bidder, in effect. But there's another kind of loyalty, like in Syria where the minorities lives actually depends on Assad's protection from Al Quaida, ISIS etc And this is not depending on cash payments or favoritism or threats from the regime. Assad is known as the Protector of the minorities. And these people will protect him and his family, and as time has proved, they're doing an extremely good job of it.

• Advertisement

If a little digression is permitted, what had you in Syria for 3 years? That must have been quite the experience and incredibly dangerous

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement