Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's every year or 15,000km, whichever comes first.

Costs vary by dealer a bit i think, it usually cost 100-150 any time I've been. The more expensive ones are when they replace the pollen filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,084 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I probably should have had it done last year then. I could have sworn the manual said every two years but I probably read it wrong.

Pollen filter and brake fluid was done in August 21 so both due now then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can change the pollen filter yourself with no tools by dropping down glovebox. Probably guides on YouTube. I got a discount and fitted an aftermarket one. They charged me something like 35 euro for it before when it's around 15 after market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Novice Question

Im after roof bars and roof box, for 2019 IOniq 28

Will any bar fit and in turn will any roof box attach to bars

Not interested in carrying bikes etc, just need a roof box.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Maybe this is a pretty basic question but I can’t find a straight forward answer on Google.

What trim level does one need on an older (2016/2017) Ioniq to have front safety assist?

What does the the front safety assist actually do? Is it only collision with other cars or does it also help prevent low speed parking collisions / pedestrians?

• Advertisement

be aware that any roof box is going to severely impact your range - not seen any of them in use - but generics on micksgarage - https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-racks-and-bars/hyundai/hyundai-ioniq/ioniq-2016-onwards/products

Does look like the car isn't rated to take any weight whatsoever on the roof - so absolutely buyer beware - https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/ioniq-roof-rack-now-available.3001/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

afaik it is on all trim levels, not sure about slow speed parking collisions, but should protect against pedestrians and collisions. There was only one trim level in Ireland, well equipped but no leather on the 28kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

Yeah have a 171 Ioniq with 140K on the clock and except for the exceptionally crap service Hyundai gives it's a great car. Got a new estimate this morning on a warranty part. The new estimate will bring the part to 2.5 years in total if it ever appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Couldn't see a newer thread excuse me.

any tech issues with the doors?

Presume they are better than normal door in tight space?

Do people think they look obnoxious? On one hand who cares what others say, but on the other hand we aren't in LA.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭3d4life

rehash of an old idea. 'tis grand - in its own way ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Quoted by Hyuandai  Dundrum today for 340 e to service :

191 IOniq EV 28kwh battery

It was last serviced Jan 22, at 21000 Miles (UK import)

mileage now is 30000

Its had 4 services so far, so 30,000 will be service # 5

(firmware updates are no longer covered by service)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭User1998

Why would you service an electric car? What does the service include? And why would it need to be serviced 5 times in 30,000 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Hyundai insist on a service every 12 months or 15000kms to keep the warranty going so if you want that 5 year warranty, you have to play ball. €340 for a service however, is ridiculously expensive and I would be looking for another Hyundai garage to see how much they would charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

hmm, I paid 240 I think last year for a hyundai service, the car was still in warranty and I needed a few warranty issues fixed as well so not much choice really.

It's almost 6 years old now, what's the warranty on battery and drivetrain, I'm not sure if I need to keep bringing it for it's service or not to keep it alive.

118k kms on the clock

8 years or 200,000km whichever is first. I got a discount changing the pollen filter myself (drop down glove box l, no tools needed)

If you intend keeping car I would recommend changing the reduction gearbox oil at an independent, 1.1L of oil and takes about 10 minutes. It might prevent "gearbox" issues at high mileage. I have a mechanic relation in Wicklow Town that has done it if you are local and want it done pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Thanks, I was just looking at a video of that and it seems quite simple. I'm nowhere near Wicklow unfortunately, I'll ask the local inndependant, I get tyres from him. He has a bugbear about electrics though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

I have a 2014 Nissan leaf 24kw for the past 4 years. Going well and down to 11 bars/83% of battery left so not too bad. 

its pushing on a bit now and the lack of range can be annoying at certain times, plus I fancy a change 😀

I am thinking of buying a 2017 or 2018 Ioniq with the 28kw battery as I have heard some good things about them 

I know all too well with my Leaf that speed, wind etc affect the range greatly 

for anyone that has experience of this car: 

• what was the range like? (I know dependent on journey type etc)
    • I would be buying a 6/7 year old car - what would the battery health be potentially like? (Again I know dependent on mileage on the car, how it was charged etc) 

Any other general comments welcome

Post edited by obi604 on

Going from 24kWh to 28kWh will not be a massive step up in range. On nearly every account the ioniq is better but you still have a relatively small battery. Price wise the cost to change may be high. For example I sold my old ioniq for 14k and bought a 64kWh Niro for 18250 (a bargain but high mileage). If you can make the leap to 40 or 60kWh by searching out bargains that would be my suggestion.

Comparison ioniq 28kWh vs 24kWh leaf.

Charging speed 70kW max, typically 50kW vs 43.

More efficient at high speed but still head wind, high speed impact range.

Basic spec of ioniq is high, adaptive cruise control, reverse camera, an option on leaf. I prefer seating comfort on leaf.

Battery warranty is 200,000km.or 7 years on older ioniq, 160,000km on newer models. Batteries tend to work really well with little to no range reduction up to and above 160,000km. There are some known issues. The odd car has motor or gearbox issues at high mileage so change gearbox oil asap if you buy one. Minor issues of door handles breaking, and wheel sensors tend to fail at 100,000km, both on rear, a 500 euro fix per side. The full warranty on everything is only 5 years so you are on your own then except for battery faults. The 12 volt tends to go flat, replace every 2 years and leave car "on" when waiting outside school etc, and keep a small jumper pack in glove box. Don't overpay dealer prices, haggle for a low years, low mileage from a private sale. The market for used EVs is very quiet so sell old car before buying another. I would suggest stretching to a Niro 64kWh, around 20k for high mileage models.

food for thought. I know the Ioniq 28 battery is good and really really efficient but at the end of the day, I guess I am only fooling myself, it’s still only 28kw no matter what way you look at it

kia eniro could be an option.

what are the thoughts on the Hyundai Kona?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Nice but v. small.

That may or may not get annoying over time if it's your main vehicle.

• Advertisement

What has happened to Ioniq 28kWh prices over the past few weeks?

A month or two ago, there were quite a few 2017 high mileage ones advertised in the €11k-13k range. Now, the advertised price for very similar cars seems to be in the €15-16k range.

On done deal you can ask for any price. If you go too high you get 0 phone calls and ad sits there for months. The ones with low price sell and all that is left is dreamer prices. If ad has been on for months you may be able to haggle price down if non dealer.

In terms of Kona the boot is very small and back seats are very small. Most don't have meant features as standard such as adaptive cruise control. Very basic spec and plasticy dash. It's a great car in terms of range and value but I would stretch to a Niro.

Definitely quite a few 2017-2018 Ioniq 28kWh dreamers on Donedeal these days.

yeah the Ioniq 28 prices seem very high. I know very efficient etc but still.

my thinking has been revised here. No point going from a 24kw Leaf to a 28kw Ioniq and spending thousands to do so. May as well go to 40 or 60kw.

I didn’t think the Kona was so small, but after the comments here it must be a bit on the small size the 64 battery though is a great incentive, not too worried about adaptive cruise control etc

So overall what do ye think.

2018 28 Ioniq for about 17.5k

2019 64 Kona for about 19k

I always thought ioniq would be my next car, the ioniq is better looking. But when I write it down as above, and even with all its super efficiency, it’s still only 28 kWh. The 64 kona is a massive step up in battery size.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,084 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Depends on the condition as well. The Ioniq could be perfect and the Kona in a rough state, if both are equal then the Kona is probably the better buy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It depends on what kind of distances you plan to use it for. I live on the opposite side of the country to my family (about 190km door to door) and drive a 28kw Ioniq. When I visit I make one stop to top up on the way - technically I could make it on one charge (in warmer months at least) but would be very dry when reaching Dublin so I generally top up to avoid being stuck trying to use Dublin chargers as soon as I get there. For everything else, it is a great car.

We've also had a 64kw Kona which was a fantastic car and obviously has the added bonus of extra range.

thanks for input, great not having to stop and charge though for a ~200km trip

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If range is the main consideration then the Kona is a no brainer at those prices for sure but one thing to keep in mind is it is a fair bit smaller than the ioniq on the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you do 200km trips more than once in a while then the Kona will suit better in that case :)

Advertisement