Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ugh. Don't like the way this is going before Sunday. Klopp clearly being sent out to deflect/delay questions about transfers. Konate injured again. Salah rumours. Tough trip to St James. This'll be a fun place next week if we lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

This is all starting to sound familiar. Like last summer when we didn't need any more players as the squad so was good apparently. Gomez is grand as backup for Trent but he should never start at CB again. Matips best years are behind him and konate is injury prone.

If we don't sign a CB before the window closes it's just negligence from the club's point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

You are absolutely 100% entitled to post what you want.

However, if you read over the last few pages you'll see you are doing most of the whinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Two signings minimum needed. Be gutted if we don't land at least one.

Matip has been world class for us but he's also injury prone and had a big drop off last season he probably won't come back from.

Newcastle would eat Joe alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

And? I couldn't give a ****.

But no, actually obviously you're correct. It's been a fantastic transfer window and the squad is in a perfect position to challenge for the title and win at least two of the other cups. Anyone who doesn't think it's been an amazing window is obviously clueless. 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The problem for me is if there was a stand-out CB worth signing we'd have tried by now. It's possible we've already been negotiating, and the market has been volatile all summer with moves happening all over the place, but if we had identified a really worthwhile CB we'd have made a move before the season started, and Colwill is the only one we showed concrete interest in.

I think this is another of those situations where we'll only spend if there is a top-class option or a cut-price deal available; this late in the window, neither is likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Easy operating a multi billion pound company is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I see Leverkusen are looking to take Luke Chambers on loan. I’d like to see this happening, I think he has a big future ahead of him so it would be nice to see how he does at that level. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm going to wait until the window is over before I allow hysteria to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this Newcastle game is at a perfect time to tell us exactly where we're at with the team and squad. there is no hiding.

bar City, this is the best home team in the league, with a tactically sound manager, who has been able to reinforce his squad with the likes of Tonali and Barnes.

they are on an absolute high as a club. they're aggressive, they're slick, they're quick and they have the best striker in the league not named Haaland in my opinion, in Isak.

this could easily be a drubbing if we're not at it. we'll know a lot about Endo after this week. if Konate doesn't play, as looks likely, we'll know if there's any chance of relying on those in reserve. Salah needs to show he's still top dog. Diaz needs to keep it up. MacAllister and Szobozslai need to actually dictate things for a significant portion of the game. Trent needs to be a creative force.

Newcastle are not mugs. Sunday will reveal a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

In my opinion Newcastle have the best midfield three in the league now since Gundogan left City. Guimarães, Tonali and Joelinton are all excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Only because our three haven't played together yet 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Konate is key to our season, into game 3 and there is a possibility he is injured; without him if the TAA inverted role is maintained then we will give up more than 5 clear chances to Newcastle, it will be an exciting game though probably not for us mad pool fans!!!

Have to buy a LCB, I think Konate was the last CB we signed and that is a few years back.

Klopp is a legend but he needs to be more vocal about getting backed if we buy no one else due to funds not being available.

I see the top 4 as City, Newcastle, Arsenal and then one more - our season is all about the injuries we get, if we are really lucky then 2nd is possible, if we get unlucky then it will be a struggle especially defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'm not saying you're wrong that we need another CB), but who can come in and be a success straight away as a CB in this team as it's set up currently.

Say a right-sided back to replace Ibra, he'll have no #6, an aging Virgil beside him, Trent could be anywhere, maybe at RB/maybe in midfield - who knows, and you'll be expected to press to the halfway line and leave a huge gap behind you.Not many will thrive and not show weaknesses/make mistakes in that scenario.

JoGo is as good as most available, by the set up is still crazy

He's only still there due to lack of options imo.

He's a player who has really gone downhill in the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

I like Gomez as RB, but I’d honestly start Nat Philips over him at CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

My point is no one could operate in our system, we could piss away another 100 million but unless we get some organization on our system we're going no place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Absolutely correct. Fully expect Newcastle to have one of the best home records in the league, wouldn’t be a massive surprise if they are unbeaten at home this season and they will win most. Still won’t stop hysteria on here if they beat us. But hopefully we will get the result, I think we match up quite well against them, but not the end of the world if we don’t. Either way, I’m very confident we’ll beat them at Anfield when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Advertisement

35m on Andy Carroll was alarming bad business

He was the player that Dalglish wanted and the new owners made it happen, in their view Chelsea were funding the transfer. At the time Damien Comolli was talking to Ajax about Suarez, there were also talks with Anderlecht for Romelu Lukaku. Anderlecht were willing to sell Lukaku for €20-25M, but Dalglish preferred Carroll because he saw him as the Alan Shearer of his day. In the summer of 2011, Liverpool also passed on the opportunity to sign both Stefan Defour and Axel Witzel from Standard Liege for €16M and instead got Charlie Adam (£8M, Blackpool) and Jordan Henderson (£20M, Sunderland) because Dalglish believed the team needed a British core. Stuart Downing was signed for £22M which was mind blowing, the alternatives that Comolli was looking at were available for a fraction of the price, Dries Mertens and Eden Hazard. There was also a young Kevin De Bruyne on Comolli's shopping list. However, Comolli deferred to Dalglish in the decisions on what players to sign and ultimately that cost both of them their jobs in 2012.

In an alternative universe Liverpool followed the money ball philosophy and signed the future stars of the Belgium national team in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Sounds like we need to bring back Comolli so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Or even just a proper DOF on a long term contract with a proper long term vision.

Using Klopp in the role, and/or his friend is a complete waste of time. It's ruined the recruitment this summer.

MacAllister bad Szoboszlai were brilliant signings. The following 5 or 6 weeks have been nothing short of a disaster where senior players have left and not been replaced, gaps in the first team have not been filled and gaps in the squad have not been filled. Dress it up however you. Want, but unless an adequate DM & CB are signed in the next week, it's a disaster of a recruitment window.

We haven't even signed the usual cheap 18 year old squad filler that happens every window.

I don't think the Downing transfer fee was that strange.

Himself and Young were class for Villa.

Obviously it didn't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The same argument could be made for Edwards, I think. Didn't he have Enzo and Guimares on the radar but he was overlooked?

Klopp is an amazing manager, and we're lucky to have him, but transfers aren't his forte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I wouldn't say this transfer window has been a failure, the DM debacle apart, we've done ok; We've made 3 good signings and got rid of a lot of highly paid deadwood, but, we do need to sign at least another CB and midfielder as we are an injury or suspension away from a crisis in both areas, with the backups either injury prone or not suitable for the way we play. Alot done, but, more needs to be done!

It's been a failure - to now - because we haven't addressed specific weaknesses in the squad. In fact, letting Fab and Henderson go has weakened us further in an already weak area. The fact that according to noises coming from the club that Endo alone is how we're going to mitigate against losing Fab and Hendo is criminal.

I think it'll become very clear pretty quickly once the transfer window shuts exactly how short we are in terms of our squad. It's been a dispiriting window to say the least even allowing for two seemingly quality acquisitions early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I spoke about it earlier but I'd take a dour 1-1 draw! Sbozo and McAllister have played a grand total of 2 games together and they're going to be anchored by a man making his first premier league start, going up against arguably the best midfield in the League currently. Not having Konate is a disaster too going up against Isak...take a draw and run from this one!

• Advertisement

Don't forget that Liverpool beat Newcastle away last season, 2-0, while playing Gomez at CB, and Bajectic was in midfield too.

Don't be so down and out.

A draw would be a great result on Sunday. Gone are the days were we expect to win nearly every game we play. Now draws away to rivals.like Newcastle, Chelsea, Brighton, United, Spurs etc habw to be considered results.

Like last year, there's always the change a Newcastle player gets seats off early on in the game and we can then expect a win but I won't be banking on it.

Liverpool were winning 2-0 and comfortable before the sending off last year. Salah would have made it 3-0 if Pope didn't have a brain fart.

If anything, the sending off hampered Liverpool and gee-d up the home crowd. Gave thr Newcastle players and fans something to fight for.

That would be the game where Nick Pope was sent off after around 20 minutes and Liverpool were 2-0 up. Newcastle as a team are a stronger prospect now with Botman, Guimaraes, Tonali and Isak bedding in giving them an incredible spine to their team. On our side we have lost the experience of Henderson, Milner, Fabinho and Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And also lost Milner,Fabinho and Henderson who couldn't run around the field for 90 mins. What is some people's obsession with experience? You see where it got us last season,missing out on top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah I've no problem with outgoings, its the fact DM was required be Fabinho going and with one week to go a DM is still required. Disaster and completely inept from the board.

A cb was always needed and I'm nearly sure Gvardiol was sounding out Liverpool at one stage? They obviously had the money for the right player(caicedo) so why didnt they bid for him? He'd have the cb sorted for a decade

• Advertisement

Got us 2nd in the premier league, final of the CL and two trophies the season before.

This is all down to whether or not you think the players couldn't have improved on last season which may well have been quad seasons/world cup related.

Experience mattered hugely over the course of Klopp's tenure.

And we've gained MacAllister, Szoboszlai and Diaz is back 😁

I'm not saying we're going to go out and win comfortably or anything, it will be a difficult game, but I just don't wouldn't be a fan of the 'we're gonna lose' type posts.

Exactly that was 2 years ago,that has been our problem since we won the league,staying too loyal to players when they should of been moved on and replaced on time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

Best 11 we can field is definitely stronger this season but depth is severely lacking. Should have kept 1 of Henderson or Fabinho. But money talks. Happy enough with our team as long as the injury hoodoo takes a season off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

There needs to be a healthy combination of youth and experience.

The club let down those players by not bringing in reinforcements. It wasn't their fault.

Even Rodi mentioned the toll it takes. And Fabinho and Henderson have been playing way more than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

If we ignored the fact that they are ex players and If someone offered us a chance to buy either Fabinho, Henderson or Milner right now as they are, nobody would take that deal.

We have lost serious experience but at the end of the day they would not add anything to the current first team. They broke their bollox for Klopp and the club but its time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Is the best 11 stronger though?

People should think of players in terms of their range of outcomes, rather than focussing on who they are on their best / worst days. The team we had last year objectively had winning the league in their range of outcomes.

The team we have now probably doesn’t.

Sure this team on its best day is better than most of our days last year, but there was easy to understand context around underperformance last year.

What?

You would have gotten rid of Henderson and Fabinho after nearly landing a quad?

This is just a point some don't want to consider.

Mane had a basic enough 20/21 but if we'd gotten rid of him we wouldn't have had the season we had in 2021/2022.

No I am saying they needed to be replaced for this season and are no loss,now the fact Fabinho hasn't been adequately replaced yet is down to the incompetence of the owners and Klopp.

Mane was very poor by his standards in the first half of the 21/22 and his performances only improved when he came back from AFCON and played more centrally

Whether we are better than last season is debatable. But even if we are, it's only by a very small margin. The big problem is nearly every team around has very likely improved by a much bigger margin. Newcastle, Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton all look very good and better than last year. Spurs have started the season very well too. United look lost, thank god. City are city.

FAR too early to making calls like this. Give it ten matches then make an inference.

28 goals, key goals, trophy winning goals, CL knockout tie goals, fa cup semi final goals, key goals in the title run in at City.

Now , with Keita, Milner, Ox all leaving already, would would you want to replace rather than add to Hendo and Fabinho?

• Advertisement
Advertisement