Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Same goes on here with the Limousin breed. Price is agreed beforehand. They bid up each other's cattle. The real sickening part is when the AI companies are in on it. Totally unproven bulls, selling their straws for crazy money.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My dad was telling me of years ago there was a society sale on. He was involved in the milk board and they had an interest in a bull in it. Rather than send the normal lad who everyone would know was bidding for the milk board. One of the farmer members went to bid. The auctioneer and the owners were panicking as the milk board weren't there and some dude was bidding lowly on the bull....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Was on my way home from work last night and saw a dog on the M4 Motorway just after the toll (and everyone doing 120km/h). Stopped and managed to catch it and get it into the boot. Lovely young rottweiler bitch. Had drove to a local shelter I knew of in clonard and they wouldn't take her.After a few hours trying to get it somewhere I ended up driving to mullingar garda Station who got a local vet to take her.

Put a few posts on social media and ended up managing to locate the owners. She had gotten away from them close to mullingar but managed to travel almost to Enfield on the M4!!

A good news story for once after the hard news stories overnight. She was reunited with them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

You forgot to mention everyone now have mobile phones... and they are definitely to blame for a number of road accidents... someone said earlier about them years ago coming home on the bonnet of a car... bet ya the driver didnt have a phone out snapchatting or making videos etc... my deepest sympathies to the families involved here... sadly there lives will never be the same..

• Advertisement

EPA Ireland now have been infiltrated by the vegan lobby. It's not their job to offer dietary advice.

But take them at face value that there's an environmental take on this.

Eating more plant based means more tillage which means more nitrates in our waterways. Teagasc knew this years ago from their research with the Epa. But the research was concentrated almost completely on cows. I saw one study where they were comparing farming systems but the tillage reading was only after 3 years since the plough and in set aside. The reading still came in double what the pasture dairy came back at. Tillage directly after the plough was not to be published by Teagasc. This was over 23 years ago.

€10+ customs on a $25 beanie hat from the US, f'sake

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I saw that Tweet last night and assumed some intern in EPA got the Twitter login details and posted that. I took a screenshot as I assumed it'd be deleted this morning. But it's still there. Maybe the EPA staff only work Mon-Fri and it'll be Monday morning (well, 10am) before it's deleted.

Thankfully, there's plenty replies to the Tweet questioning why the EPA are giving out dietary advice and the EPA hasn't responded to any of the Tweets yet.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

The mantra lately is to push and provoke...for reaction.

Their behaviour is matching ngo's. You'd suspect now there's cross employment in the agencies.

It's not good enough. But it's better ask forgiveness than permission seems to be the status they want to operate on.

It's especially not good enough to be so flippant when their message influences people's employment. It doesn't help the image of a professional body.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

epa head is an anti farming anyway. someone should receive a rocket over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Anyone who watched the women up before Agri committee can plainly see their anti dairy agenda in full sight.this is the monster of unelected bureaucrats we are now dealing with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

EPA wouldn’t be carrying on like that unless the Govt was giving them a nod which is what they’re doing when they don’t question their behaviour. They allow the EPA to say what they themselves really think.

Such ideology just undermines the important job the EPA has. Same as the Greens - when a rock solid environmental party was never more needed, we have a bunch of D4 luvies who want to see some sort of medieval landscape when they look out the windows of their castles in the morning.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

The more the "D4 & their castles" nonsense and name calling is perpetuated the further you'll keep getting from the facts and real issues.

For too long farming/agri. leaders had the same response to environmental issues and all that was done was sit back call them names, smear arguments and treat the whole lot as if they were some sort of loons. What we see now is that poor response and an inability to see what was coming has put agriculture in the firing line. The various 'schemes' were just that and agri. leaders were quietened with the paltry few quid.

My dad was saying there was a woman on the farming programme on rte 1 radio this morning that's going for ifa vice president. He said she spoke well, who was she?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

At the Wolfetones tonight with the Aussie OH. Interesting to see how it goes.

I can never figure out the toilet situations at GAA grounds- no queue for the mens and a massive one for the women. Dunno how they can never sort it at planning or building stage.

Alice Doyle Wexford IFA she's very good and very professional.

On one of the few times I attended a meeting at the Ifa centre she has always impressed me.

I was at one such, the various commodity and section representatives were giving their talks at the end of the meeting. All the men gave theirs sitting down. When it came to Alice she stood up and gave her talk very professionally. She had all her info with her in case of further questioning.

She'd remind you of a Mairead McGuinness. Be very difficult to pull one over on her or catch her out. And she knows what she's fighting for.

Was at a soccer game the other night. It was an hour from home. I asked was there a toilet, In the changing room. I was told and hood luck with it. Walked it to see a lads bare arse standing over the toilet. Doir open. I waited until they started their game to go back. Toilet facilities at pitches are terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

😂

well there is finally a queue at the mens and when I went in, there was only 3 men at the urinals and a big queue of women in there for the cubicles so the lads wouldn’t whip the plumbing out and left a third of the urinal free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'd assume very few queuing for the cubicles are going to be using the plumbing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I heard that also. She spoke very well. If she got the job It wouldn’t be a token woman vote anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Last night for our local pub here. I didn't go because one of the children was quite sick earlier. No pint now for 15 miles... - that'll definitely happen.

On the bright side, the building has been bought to stuff it with lovely young men, sorry i meant to say 'unaccompanied children' fleeing war and persecution..

Its right near the school and all so they can finish their education to be doctors and engineers..

Maybe some of them can even win those vital sprinting medals we seem to crave...

Take no notice, sure I'm only an ignorant, narrow minded oul waaysist...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Weren't you cribbing the other day about posts here not being farming related, yet you are cribbing about something not farming related? What do you want?

But sure I was corrected that it's for everything non-farming and "always has been".

I'm just following suit...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭straight

Problem with the likes of you is that you have never been outside the five mile zone. The pub closed now might force you to venture out of your comfort zone. 👍

Yup, stands for "Many Are Getting Arrested" 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Will you ever give over with the sh1te about the sprinting medals. That comment was designed, saying that Jamaica, the US etc had their success in those events too off of immigration. I don't agree with uncontrolled immigration, nor direct provision. , do agree with controlled immigration and also looking after people whose whole world has been blown away by a war not of their making.

And the girl you are referencing in the sprints, she was actually born here. Her parent were immigrants, but she is Irish. Most of us will have Norman or Viking blood in us. Are we immigrants too? Should the Ó' hAilpíns not have been heralded by the Cork fans because their mother was Fijian? Will you not wish the Irish rugby team well later this year with Aussies and Kiwis involved and bless us all, a Saxon coaching them?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Try to get with the programme will you . Do you not know that Government policy in recent years had been to close down as much of rural Ireland as they can get away with.

Close down animal farming as it is destroying the planet . Close down the the pubs as we couldn’t possibly have a lad drinking a few pints after a days work as he had done for years.

• Advertisement

Yep that's definitely true... an average of 3 to 5 counties a day and 13 one day last week.

Lived in a couple of different countries and visited many.

Having the local to come back to and be with your own people after listening to so much shyte was one of the things which made it all bearable.

You're clearly spot on with your analysis though... carry on pls..

Advertisement