Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

He wasn’t going to pay it back as such rather work for nothing for nearly a year

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Lovely video from Ryan about the Leaving Cert. In fairness he could have gone to ground but made the effort for the young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

I'm sure that they are most appreciative - not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"Young people of Ireland, I love you". Ah yes, they'll feel better about themselves now that RT has their back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Ah Sunny seriously, would you ever just build a bridge and get the hell under it.

Seriously, I can even sell ya one if ya'd like.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Lads, come on...

That LC video isn't aimed at the students. Even Tubs knows they give no shíts about what he's got to say.

That video was aimed at the mammies and daddies, mainly the mammies and grannies tbh. He knows his Instagram audience and he knows how to get the likes and views piling in. In his little noggin, that's a demonstration to that mean British guy that he IS hugely LOVED and still MASSIVELY POPULAR and a terrible wrong was done to him!

This is another reason on top of all the others why I couldn't see him doing anything outside of Ireland. His game plan now will be to stay in touch and to stay relevant. He plans on being back in business on RTE in the near rather than the medium term.

I don’t have the quote to hand but there’s instances of kids and toyman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It was a very positive message and would undoubtedly have been helpful to many young people and their families.

Really, how can anyone criticise him for it? That doesn’t make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Spot on - he's keeping the mammies on side. The gullibility is strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its a good message, but as for most things with RT it was a self serving message delivered without an ounce of humility or integrity, and would not have resonated with the alleged target audience. As mentioned, it was for the gullible fools, the mammies and grannies who think tubs is all shinning and without sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭seanrambo87

I'm only on page 668 and struggling to keep up with this thread or whatever you call it but everybody's talking about him paying back the 150 or 120 grand, but what about the true cost vis a vis the barter account. If he had one shred of decency he would pay the true cost of the 150 grand. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

People are just so mean, but that's the world now unfortunately. I fear for you Sunny: a cesspool like the internet is no place for somebody so innocent and pure of spirit. You're like Kermit The Frog: uncynical and sees the best in everyone and everything. Maybe just watch Tubs videos, take heart from them, but keep it to yourself because you are not going to find any love on this thread, and I would hate to see you disheartened by the "meanies" here. Especially the ones that would say things like "you're just a troll, get a life you sad gimp" or "can you even breathe with your tongue so far up Tub's butthole?". That kind of nasty, vile stuff. Why are people so mean? It just doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Regarding the advice/lack of that Tubridy is getting - it's really doing him no favours. The go-to for crisis management would be The Comms Clinic and this time last year, that's where RT/NKM would have gone but...

There has been a falling out between The Comms Clinic and NKM imo. They were working very closely together, which to me, was very evident...we had NKM's Ciara Kelly name dropping Terry Prone every chance she got at one stage last year (it had been noted by posters here) We also had Anton Savage bringing NKM people (2 at a time) onto his Sat morn radio show every week. Indeed, NK may well have helped Anton get his recent presenting roles

Dunno what happened since then but both Prone and Anton are now showing up on the Carol & Associates (agency) website. Terry Prone has been very subtly knifing Ryan T in the back since this whole debacle started and I think that will continue - another poster commented on this in a different thread saying 'Prone is bludgeoning Tubridy's already lifeless corpse' re Primetime

Prone is not someone I'd like to have as an enemy/rival, especially in the entertainment sphere where it's a dirty, vicious, dog-eat-dog world. There seems to some sort of a turf war going on between NKM, C & A and TCC in the background - If I were C & A management, I'd be delighted to have Prone in my camp - she's been around a long time and knows where bodies are buried and most likely has a filing cabinet full of dirt

Anton Savage name has been bandied about as a replacement for Tubs, but I think Anton has his eye on a much bigger prize - Pat Kenny's slot for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭amacca

🤣🤣🤣

Absolutely grade A effort young man/madam!

Well played!👌

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

Yea Anton's Mammy is a big wig ,so was Daddy.

He would be another Tubs X 2.

In reality RTE are finished .

Why watch it when YouTube has you chosen subjects at the touch of a button.

While The Toy Show had really just degenerated to this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Abusing a person is not discussing anything. A major public figure comes out and say some fairly harmless things about the LC, the sky is blue.

Are you honestly saying if you were offered a figure 3/4 times your salary you would turn it down? That's all Tubridy did. He went out and got someone to get the best deal possible for him. It's normal enough for this to happen. Trade Unions exist for that very reason. NK was the de facto trade union for high profile presenters at RTE. For better or worse that's the purpose of trade unions and equivalent bodies get the best possible deal for members. The only difference here is the profile of RT. Due to the very public nature of his role he is an as easy scapegoat.

The fact is that for decades management at RTE was afraid of losing their big presenters and awarded very high salaries to them. That's not the fault of Gay Bryne, Pat Kenny(take off the rose tinted glasses for a second, remember for most of the GB era competition was effectively banned/quiet literally non exsistent in Ireland) Ryan Tubridy and any other presenter you care to name took complete advantage of. It's been known for a long time that RT and a whole host of other presenters had saleies that were hard to justify and nothing was done. That's the responsibility of RTE management going back decades and involves hundreds of people at this stage.

What's worse is that RTE have operated a major financial account with 0 controls. Given that that RT invoices were put through this account, it appears that at least some people within RTE were aware of these missing controls and sought to take advantage of it. That quiet frankly is shocking thing to happen at any half decent sized organisation never mind one the size of RTE.

I know being able to personify things makes things easier to understand. Heck it's the reason our storms have names now. Storm Betty wasn't called that for the craic.

But in this case its shows the problem with this aspect of human behaviour Lets ignore the huge financial scandal and focus on an unemployed radio/television personality for basically saying the sky is blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Anton didn't do well when he was given his own show on Today FM. He's better suited to current affairs presenting and is the best of the stand-ins for Pat Kenny. But if he were to do something like that full-time, the Communications Clinic baggage would come back to bite him.

• Advertisement

+100% agree.

And other people wonder what drives such an anthipathy to Tubridy.

You wouldn't mind too much if he had used his advantageous start to develop himself between the ears.

Whatever background you're from, it's hard to begrudge a lucky man if he's also a good man.

The only genuine thing about Tubridy is his unshakeable lack of genuine curiosity about the world outside his bubble.

My anthipathy is kinda fading into just pity now. And it's a horrible thing to say about another human being. I know.

But when every side of a human looks worst than the last, you kinda don't know what way to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sunday Indo reporting that €50million will be needed in October's budget to keep the lights on in RTÉ...

And now it appears millionaire hotelier, and all round fan of Tubs, John Brennan even has a contract with rte? What sort of contract could that be? He used to be on rte regularly, but not for a while now as he had health concerns iirc, but surely even then he was advertising his own services and business, not sure why he'd still have a contract with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

50 quid would be too much to give that shower of wasters

Let him go and get a bank loan like any other business would have to do .

He would want want to start selling off some of that place and cut his costs quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Axed RTÉ presenter Ryan Tubridy has installed a state-of-the-art recording studio in his Monkstown home in order to launch a new podcast, sources said this weekend.

The move follows a cryptic social media post this week which said: ‘Stay tuned for more.’

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

It would be hilarious if he was actually trying to resurrect his radio show in podcast form. Could he be so foolish as to attempt a daily show of the same type of waffle he did on Radio1?

You hardly need a state of the art recording studio to launch a podcast.

Can be done with a PC and a mic. But hey, it's Tubs so they will hype it up a bit.

I see the Indo has now made that John Brennan/Tubs story their main story on the website. Tubs must have friends at the Indo.

This a joke.

It's like a guy begging for a €5 on a street corner two doors up from his Mansion, hoping no one remembers where he lives. Struggling me arse!

And this Mansion is worth an absolute fortune. RTE are sitting on a D4 land-bank with a low ball-park figure northwards of a €Billion Quid. A parcel of this land, 9 acres having been sold for over €100million during the Pandemic to Cairn Homes.

If they're so badly off, they should be Remortgaging the house. Not out tapping for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I laughed yesterday morning when I read this headline : https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/opportunity-to-take-progressive-approach-to-rte-funding-says-media-commission-chair-1518801.html

It's much more progressive to fund it from the broader exchequer..... a bottomless pit of funding is available there and they won't get stuck the way they have with people not paying the TV licence after they see how they are carrying on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If we turned the lights off how much money would that save?😀

Given the cast iron pay deals I imagine most RTÉ people have, it’s going to be difficult to achieve pay cuts from the permanent staff members and in some respects why should they suffer for bad management decisions- there’s likely a whole heap of people classed as temporary who likely have permanent job rights years later, so they need to get a handle on those too.

We need to really get under the bonnet as to just what is the financial state of the company- voluntary parting scheme whilst expensive short term could make good savings over time but needs to be balanced with better productivity and much lower pay scales for new entrants.

I think this RTÉ story is going to be a drip feed of bad news followed by more bad (and expensive) news. Asking for 50 mill today- another 20 in 3 months time- you’re much better off just calling the worst case scenario now and work from there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement