Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire v Samoa 19:45pm - On RTÉ Two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Most probably something to this, they did look a little sub par from the start.

Greater scheme of things this is better than a 40-0 walk over, bit of a wakeup call.

Not sure we learnt a huge amount bar if JGP goes down we are in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭MattressRick

These warm-ups smell a bit like previous bad world cups like the last one and 2007, with all the signs beforehand pointing towards an underachieving world cup but us all thinking it'll be alright on the night.

There's an easy first match but I imagine the goal was to be playing much much better than this by now. Worrying signs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They smell like it apart from the rather colossal difference of us actually winning all our games

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Correct, we almost certainly would have lost if we'd played with no scrum half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

Andy farrell looked completely shellshocked in post match interview. And so he should be.Ireland very fortunate to win that game. This is a big set back in terms of self belief. So many players not performing. Experienced players like VDF,Henshaw,Henderson not performing anyone near their level for multiple games now. Rest of the team played poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He was fine, and there's no way we have the same ref for two of our four pool games.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mun1

Jesus., the hard ons here to denigrate Murray and Crowley are trumpian to say the least

Winners (those who were borderline) from todays match

Baird

crowley

Losers from today match based on who they were playing

Healy (even without the injury he was poor )

bealham

stcokdale

stewart

henderson

loughman

McCloskey

JOB

Ireland very fortunate to win that game

No they weren't by any possible reasonable metric. 3 tries to 1, with that one try being an utterly bananas one that just happened to come off a samoa player's face. They were the lucky ones.

It was a not a good performance, but you are just making **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Now that was a game of rugby for the neutrals out there.

A four point win doesn't sound like much in the minds of everyone here. But as a third win in a WC warm-up game. It wasn't an easy one to get it right. It was a tough grind for everyone out there.

We will take the result as a precautionary plan of action, with some improvements to add to it, if the conditions at the WC go sour for us as they head into the tournament in two weeks time.

Cian Healy's calf injury was a painful moment in the game for me. His reaction to him coming off the pitch was not something that Irish rugby fans would look on with a lot of pleasant memories.

Jimmy O'Brien's and Robbie Henshaw's injuries are a worry to look out on as well. We do have to keep an eye on them as they are key players to let us go on to a great result in the game.

Ireland's 2nd half was much better than the first 40 minutes.

They were more smart in how they played their game of rugby while the conditions were still causing them to go through some handling errors. Those mistakes and handling errors did cost them in some areas of the 2nd half. But their intent in scoring those tries had more than made up for their costly mistakes.

The substitutions in the 2nd half had to give us that belief that we had to win this game. And they did it so it was job done.

The game had all the hallmarks of not having our main lads out in the starting 15. They were already guaranteed to go on the plane to Paris anyway. It was a precursor to how the other lads in the team were going to get those seats filled up in the meantime.

It gave us some great food for thought in how the lads in reserve can show us their potential to be good enough to be on the plane for a WC. And since that job was done tonight; Andy Farrell along with his management team now have to make some very big decisions as to who get on that plane to Paris in two weeks.

It's going to be some job for Farrell to get it right. But I hope that whatever he decides for the team is right one for the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Couldn't ask for a better test with SA's physicality to come.

Mixed bag from Doris - couple of mistakes and if you're going to try an up and under you need to at least give the impression that you can somewhat execute it. VDF and Beirne probably minding themselves a bit, both had quieter games but will need to see tackle stats. Henderson an odd one, couple of good moments and showed good leadership killing himself to get back for the first Samoa try but was one of a number of players who looked very tired early on.

Wings got very little early on but Stockdale showed up well. Hansen more involved but we seem to be using him that way and we see him stepping in anywhere from 12 - 15. Interesting that he's increasingly looking like a highly versatile play maker but we keep him on the wing. I think Farrell likes that all action sweeper option and Lowe offers a slightly more direct but similar option on the other wing.

Stewart won't be going to the World cup bar a crises. Unfortunate for him but he struggled, Loughman played fine without setting the world alight, difficult coming in knowing he probably had little chance to travel but I'm sorry to say it looks like he will now.

Midfield offered little, we had to defend some very hard carries through the centre and honestly I think we were a little rattled by the physicality. Just not up to pitch. Jimmy O'Brien struggled despite his try.

Really not sure about who I'd pick for MOM. Baird went well but could have gone to Hansen again either. It was probably Herring in reality, as soon as we had a set piece and settled into our game we cracked on. Closing the game out so poorly another blot in the copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

Did you miss the last 5 minutes of the game? Samoa were in the ascendency and should have scored at the end

79 mins: Or is it? Samoa gather the drop out and force the issue once again. And once again, Ireland give away a penalty in a good position. This time Sopoaga does find the corner and this is it. Line-out Samoa, five metres out, game on the line. Can Ireland defend in? Ireland 17 Samoa 13

77 mins: Samoa are finishing this game with all the momentum. Gaps are opening in the Irish defence and they give away a penalty, whch Samoa kick to the corner. Oh no! They should have kicked to the corner but Lima Sopoaga kicked it dead! What a killer for them. Big let off for 

Lads if we want to have an inter-pro pissing contest; there was actually a Leinster Munster match today. The good gals won and the revenge tour on Frank Murphy began in earnest /sarcasm

More seriously, Crowley wasn't great and Byrne wasn't the winning of the match.

The dependency on POM and Ryan in the pack for leadership is a bit worrying.

Herring is possibly the most important player in the squad until Sheehan/Kelliher prove fitness. Wrap him in cotton wool and feed him soda farls.

Have a nice night and roll on the real thing.

Why should they have scored? They didn't have a great set piece platform and didn't manage to create any other scores throughout the game except one incredibly lucky one.

Ireland were the better side and deserved the win. It was not lucky.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

I like Crowley, but his performance today didn't advance his case imo...probably didn't hurt it too much either.

To say it's Trumpian to point out he mixed the good with the poor today is way over the top, and to say he was one of the "winners" for us today requires ignoring mistakes and lack of game management.

I do think he'll overtake Byrne once Sexton retires, but nothing about today's performance says he's definitively done so yet, imo.

JOB is being unfairly judged on some handling issues during a game where the ball was spilling all over the place. His positioning and timing to reach the ball in the air was spot on, I thought, and I'd have no worries about him as backup 15, though he's not in the same class as Keenan.

I though Hansen showed his class, Baird was very good, and Byrne was solid and started barking at people when he came on. Herring and Ryan were the the most impactful subs. Ryan was our best player, despite the short enough time he was on the pitch, he really upped the energy of the whole team.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Just about winning tonight. Looking at 3 wins is just putting the blinkers on, when the form is ****.

Yup, this was bruising, but will stand to us, though the Healy injury is really crappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My error, I was reading on phone, he’s assistant for two. Refereeing one

thought he was useless, not fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

So in our last 4 matches, we've struggled against the 8th (twice), 12th and 13th ranked teams in the world. Our lineout is an absolute shambles and our scrum got demolished by Samoa. But the head in the sanders will no doubt say all is fine and it will all turn out grand on the day.

16, 19, 6 point wins.

On an Irish record 13 match winning streak.

Fucking awful form yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

We will do well to beat Scotland and get out of group and if we do we will be smashed in the quarters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We'll at least hit 15. Winning our other 2 pool games would bring us to the QF to equal the record... that'd be a nice way to do it.

Do well to beat Scotland 🙄

We hammered them 5 months ago in Murrayfield while having an injury crisis on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'm over in Perpignan, about 20km from Bayonne, and the heat this week has been brutal. High 30's every day and barely dropping below 30 at night. I'm not one bit surprised the team looked a bit sluggish today but this will stand to them over the course of the next few weeks IMO.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Agreed. That said a lot of the other top teams in a similar boat outside of SA potentially. Hard to know. However I don't see us doing well. Don't hink we have a deep enough squad.

Really hope this post is quoted back to me in a few weeks time and I am made to feel silly.......

Winning a World Cup while setting a new winning streak record of 20 games in a row would be an incredible achievement, and I'd say it'd be some time before we'd see another team hit a 20+ game streak.

For all the whining about these warm up performances, it really does show how much consistency Farrell has brought to the team in terms of knowing how to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Advertisement