Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire v Samoa 19:45pm - On RTÉ Two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

At the very least if we shot the bed at the world cup, there will be some happy lads posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Nah I don't get aroused by sh*t performances, unlike most people here

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Is this a discussion or a page for fanboys? Better to change the title of threads if you're unable to hear a bit of criticism of performances and a prediction that (look away now) the world cup mightn't go the way we like it. You think I want Ireland to fail?

Critical analysis is fine. Some posters languish joyfully in crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Did you watch those matches?

Your facts look like someone who's only reading headlines.

This number one ranked team and squad, based on all the results hype and talk, would have been expected to beat Italy by double that amount, and Samoa by 4 times that. But they laboured and struggled in all 3 matches. Form is gone off a cliff.

But yeah the winning streak is all that matters, I'm sure Andy Farrell will lull himself to sleep with that. Keep your head in the sand, you won't have to hear any negative talk about the team then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Awful conditions, a very spirited Samoan performance (Sopoaga is such a class player), a struggling set piece,.... and we pulled it out of the bag.

We had a gear we could find today that England simply couldn't source against Fiji. Just back to the dadgum basics (maul), but with more precision and intensity. I'd say Faz is happy we encountered and solved a serious challenge.

The lineout absolutely needs to be addressed, and I'm sure it will be. If we had scored one or two maul tries in the first half, the narrative is completely different.

Byrne v Crowley is close. Crowley did a lot right in that first half, but had two noticeable errors in the second. Byrne, to his credit, showed more than once how good a defender he is. We could well be approaching a "horses for courses" situation.

Murray was by some distance our best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Constructive criticism is good even the oul friendly argument. If everyone had the same thoughts it would be a pretty boring debate.

But, the same posters coming in here week after week and just spouting the same sh*te (were cr*p, won't make it out the pool, trashed in the Quater Final) it's childish and tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

We needed that match. I was fearful after watching the Boks but sometimes you need to be hardened by things not going your way. I hope we look back on this terrible match and say that was the best team we could have faced to get us up to speed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes. I have also watched almost every other match in the window. About the only team who have put in consistently good performances have been SA and they were pretty ropey in the Rugby Championship preceding this window with a 1 point win over Arg and a pretty comprehensive 15 point loss to NZ.

With a second string team we beat Italy by more than we beat them in the our Grand Slam winning 6N campaign. Saying we should have beat them by 32 points instead is just hyperbolic nonsense.

They are warm up matches, the key is in the name. If you cared to look at, for example, English media they were extolling how much more fluid our attacking patterns were against them than anything they were capable of.

You want actual critique? Our lineout is poor and a concern, especially given the merry go round of hookers given injuries. We have two games to try and sort that out in France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The amount of rugby fans who so clearly want Ireland to fail will never cease to amaze me.

Ah it was a shite performance. No question about that, but it was a bit of a nothing game. Samoa were very physical, I'd hate to play that game if I was a cert to travel to the RWC- literally everything to lose. And if I need a performance to get on the plane it's worse because you can't do the job of 15 to prove a point.

We took a battering and won, I don't think this is a reflection of where the team is. Delighted with our six nations and more than happy with the warm ups. Today was poor, move on - I suspect we'll see the Ireland that has delivered 13 straight wins next time they take the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,756 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Farrell knows who he’s bringing. Not sure what the point of that game was. Leaving Henshaw on seemed crazy to me and I think the likes of Hansen knew to stay out of it mostly..thank fook!

Just start the WC, we’re as ready as we’ll ever be.

I do love how we could completely put financial pursuits aside, and find the perfect opponent and climate for a sparring session tuned for the two physical opponents in our pool.

I also can't recall us ever being this close to a peak, year of the tournament itself.

We are the best we've ever been prepared for a RWC. Certainly in my living memory (let's kindly say... from '99 onwards).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Feck

Had a big post typed, fcukin site lost it

Essentially happy with today, Crowley better rugby player than Byrne but not as a test outhalf.

Control while being turgid is better than flair while being scattergun.

Stockdale not making it. Earls by not playing has made the plane. Doris and Hansen are the best forward/back .. frawley isn't going.

Feel so fcukin sorry for cian. Legend. Best Irish scrummaging prop of the last decade (but... Given a choice... Maybe the best slot to lose a player?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Don't really get the doom and gloom by other posters. We won our games, and pulled out a very ugly win tonight, they aren't all going to be pretty in the World Cup either.

We suffered a humiliating battering by England in the run up to the last World Cup, there were clear signs that things weren't right. This last year, on the other hand, has been a huge success for us. We played pretty ugly stuff in the Autumn internationals too and still got the results. I think the signs are very good. Should we be afraid of Scotland because they won a few warm up games?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭noc1980

"They're only warm ups" might be a reasonable excuse IF these performances weren't a continuation of our Grand Slam game against England but that's exactly what they appear to be. We've now had 4 games in a row where we've been well below the standard required to go far in a RWC.

If Ireland crash and burn at the world cup everyone will look back at these 4 games and say yeah the wheels were coming off then. Nobody, if they're being honest with themselves, will say "what the hell happened, there were no signs before the world cup that our form was slipping"

But for some reason if you highlight our form now you 'want Ireland to lose'

I'm desperate for Ireland to do well, which is why I'm alarmed by these performances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah yes. A continuation of a 13 point BP victory. Horrible stuff.

Not only are we on a 13 game winning streak, but this match was the first time in 8 games the opposition has been within a score of Ireland.

The warmups have been scrappy. They are world cup warm ups. But they've also been 2 very comfortable victories and one absolutely manky win. Ireland and SA are the only undefeated teams in the warm-up window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

People getting worried over this need to calm down. We're aiming to peak from the quarter finals onwards, thrashing Samoa now would be pointless with our second string. We build it up slowly through the group, start getting going for South Africa and Scotland. Then unleash hell against New Zealand/France and blast our way to glory.

• Advertisement

So by my count we started with our 4th choice hooker, 2nd choice THP, our sub lock, a fifth choice backrow, 2nd/3rd choice halfbacks (depending on your loyalties), 3rd choice inside centre, 2nd choice outside centre, a 3rd choice winger and 2nd choice fullback. Oh and played most of the game with a 4th choice LHP.

In a monsoon.

Against Sopoaga and a merry band of Dwayne Johnsons.

And won.

Caaaaaaaalm down y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

Lol

this will be the funniest of all Irish rugby failures if they bomb at the World Cup because of the 2 many knocks to the head simpleton fanboys like you.

"I'm not mature enough to tolerate people I don't know enjoying something"

There I rephrased that for you.

Haha....

There's no doubt that we've been poor. I doubt we will continue with this form. Think about this way, a poor performing Irish side beat England handily, beat Italy fairly well and struggled v Samoa. All off the back of a grand slam! I've no idea if we will win or go chats up but, we're in our best ever position imo.

Right! They'd turn mother Theresa to the dark side.

I think that yes, supporters will be disappointed if we perform poorly. But at the end of the day, it's sport. I've bills to pay etc. I won't be lepping off the Golden gate Bridge. I think some on here believe we should be dropping 50 points on every opposing side.

The world cup is achievable. I think we'll give it a good lash. Lose and it will suck. It's not the end of the world.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement