Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 World Athletics Championships, Budapest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Great 4x4 semi from the Women, almost sure to make the final when the US get DSQd for an illegal handover.

Jaysis if we had Adeleke it could've been a medal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

If US get a DQ are we into the final? Women’s 4x400?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Seems they definitely outdid themselves as a group anyway, far better than projected time.

Becker is a very strong athlete and obviously is disadvantaged by such a strong W400 field in Ireland, but Mawdsley absolutely flew there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

They qualified!

• Advertisement

Yep, the Americans made a bollox of it, into the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Fair play to the ladies getting through to the final. Ya never know now in the final. Was Mawdsleys comment about being a team player aimed at Rhasidat?

Didn't catch the interview, what did she say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Arop is a beast of a man...yikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am a bit behind just finished the men's 800m really enjoyable race that, Arop terrific, real surprise bronze for Pattison

• Advertisement

Arop, the gentle giant.

Bronze was 1:44.8 in the 800m, Mark ran 1:45.1 in his semi, not too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yes, evening session, the relay finals traditionally finish an athletics meet with a bit of crazy action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Xander10

Thanks . I was expecting tonight's semi finals around 8pm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hassan still gave herself a bit too much work to do on the penultimate lap but she was on Kipyegon's shoulder at the bell. Either way, I don't think she was ever beating Kipyegon in her current fitness, so silver is a super result. Just a shame she doesn't have a 10k gold/silver to go with her haul.

Happy for Chebet to get on the podium too, but I'm wondering what the hell happened to Tsegay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Amazing run by all four Irish women. They truly performed out of their skins. Sophie Becker ran 51.6x out of the blocks; followed by a very solid 52 flat leg by Roisin Harrison. Kelly McGrory is a high 56 / low 57 400m hurdler. She just ran a 52.4x leg. Amazing, amazing effort from her.

Lastly, Sharlene Mawdsley ran a 50 flat anchor leg. Her fastest split all week. That girl has single-handedly dragged Ireland into two global relay finals this week. Simply fantastic effort. Whilst Ciara Mageean delivered the Irish individual performance of the meet, Sharlene Mawdsley is surely the MVP for the Irish team.

I just caught the virgin media interview with the team. Frankly, it wasn’t just Mawdsley who made some slightly veiled comments about an absent team member. The statements about loving competing together and being proud to represent Ireland were definitely conveying a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Brilliant result in the relay. I’m delighted for all four of them. A special well done to Kelly McGrory as I know the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Yep ...... a few little digs aimed at the absent one

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

Delighted for the girls. They deserve it. Didn’t need anyone else in the team to get to the final. Lovely down to earth girls. Sharlene is a local girl to me.

Great day of action. The decathalon was brilliant. So happy Victor got a bronze. The Canadians killed it too. Such all rounders. Massive respect.

• Shes no Phil Lynott thats for sure.

In fairness to her, she has more in common with the sprinters she'll be mixing with in the USA. I've seen her interviews with the USA media and she looks like she's loving it over there and mixing really well. Ireland puts nothing into their athletics other than a greeting after you win, there's no incentive if you're any good other than the thoughts of a scholarship. I dont think we'll be seeing much of her other than internationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Not sure they should be having a pop at her

• The Indian mens relay team have really come on too, would love to see them medal. It might give India more incentive to invest in their athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Why not? Laziness and disinterest should always be called out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Don't know about the lazy , she's had a busy season is unlikely to be lazy

I feel she can be disinterested if she likes , it's her right

True that’s her prerogative.

However, it’s in pretty stark contrast to somebody like Femke Bol, who has also had an incredibly busy season. Yet she’s all about the team and uplifting her teammates..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

Elite athletes generally tend not to run in the qualifiers for relay finals, I don't know why Rhasidat Adeleke should be any different. If then other women on the team were more capable they might understand the higher demands running more often places on the body.

• Shes not running the final though is she. I read something about structural issues with her back

It depends on the depth of talent in the country. In smaller nations with less depth, the ‘star’ athlete invariably runs. Look who ran the anchor legs for the Netherlands and Poland this evening.

Given that Mawdsley ran a 50-flat anchor leg, I’ll wager she understands the demands it places on the body pretty well.

Regardless, it’s a shame Adeleke isn’t available for the final. The team would surely obliterate the NR and wouldn’t be miles off the podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

I mean she should never been picked to run in the semi's anyway. It seemed like really poor management from the Irish team to have her in the team for the semi's in the first place. Given how she looked in her final expecting her to run a 4x400m tonight and then go out and do the same tomorrow was crazy.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

• I thought she looked knackered in her own semi and in the final. I wasn't surprised she didn't run the relay. It's the right call and Ireland wouldn't medal anyway even with her. At least the girls can take all the glory earned in their own right.

Advertisement