Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Same. Voted for her in locals. Would do same again for General if she went

Y’know what the thing is too. She has lived in politics and has done relevant degree in university etc. She has a genuine long-term future in it.

Loopers like the Dean McGrath example below are your typical clueless lads that hopped into politics because they were at nothing else (generally Sinn Fein in fairness).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Edit, don't want to turn this into a political battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Shure its a discussion about clonmel, not a political battle. We all have our own opinions but its good to hear a differing opinion, nothing is ever black or white but shades of grey.

Here’s a controversial opinion - they’ve cancelled the pride celebrations today due to the terrible loss of those young lives. In my opinion, we should continue to celebrate young lives and diversity and it could have been done in a sensitive way - a lot of people have put in a lot of work over the last few months (not me), and I think it would have given people a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

IMO cancelling pride events today and the half marathon tomorrow were the right decisions, so many of these events rely on volunteers from the local community to steward etc. and with such a dark cloud hanging over the town I'm sure a lot of people's hearts aren't in it

• Advertisement

Agreed. Same with the St. Mary's Hurling match today and the Kilsheelan Hurling match today. Would've been distasteful to have them go ahead, as it would've been with Pride Events and Half Marathons.

Personally I think after a time like this it's good to cancel/postpone certain events.

People can gather and have vigils and other types of events.

Pride celebrations or other events can take place later in the year where people would feel like celebrating more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Words fail at time like this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

And whoever took the drone picture as shown on the Independent.ie site for a while last night should be disgusted with themselves..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jesus, let their bodies turn cold atleast. Road is shite and there was bad weather, multitude of factors involved id imagine.

Post edited by MarkR on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Is Pride not in June? How come Clonmel are only getting around to celebrating in late August?

If it's any help they were on about it being in Manchester in Coronation Street last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

RIP to all. Shocking shocking stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Agreed. There was an absolute downpour around that time, I know as I live in the town and needed to run to my car to wind up the windows and got soaked in the process. The lad driving could very easy have aquaplaned. VERY presumptuous to assume fault. The last thing the family need is speculation.

Sunday times

Sunday Times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

RIP to the families. Thats the most important point.

But seens a shame to cancel the pride events. Imagine a similar event in Dublin or London.

There wouldnt be any cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Christ above! Are you from Clonmel? Were you in the town yesterday? 4 young people have just lost their lives. People are in shock and upset. The last thing anyone wanted or needed was a parade going through the town.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've deleted some posts for speculation on who was to blame for the accident, and some uncivil posting. Not the place here for that type of posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You must be so proud of yourself @Kk333

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I agree with you. This constant 4 candles, sky news etc takes over from the families grief. Let them grieve in peace. They don’t need people who have never met them constantly going on and on about it - we can be very very sad without constantly posting on social media (says she posting on social media) but the world doesn’t stop and actually it may have given the town a lift. You didnt have to attend if you didn’t feel up to it. This catholic shite going on boils my blood - probably none of us go to mass so why this constant role out of priests, angels, candles. Give it a rest

Give the town a lift !! What part of 4 young life’s taken too early do you not get !!! It’s just called showing respect and solidarity to families .

The funerals haven't even taken place and you talk about giving the town a lift. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lillycakes2

Comments on this thread really highlighting the type of beings who are among us in society.

I'm sure ye would like a pride parade passing your window had this just happened to you and your family.

People nowadays have no empathy. They are unable to put themselves in the shoes of anyone but themselves.

What a sad society we have become with people of this mind set as part of it.

And as for KK333: Get off the Keyboard and get a life.

Yep pure selfish comments that’s the society we live in .

I do think the news coverage was a little over done especially with them still reporting live at 9 o clock last night again. However we haven't seen such bad accident in the country with a good while.

Family, friends, etc did need to leave the house Yesterday be it for food, meeting up, making arrangements, etc. What they didn't need to see was a bunch of people running around in a parade being happy. Taking part in it also would have sort of odd and it would have been hard to act all happy and give the town a lift.

The pride parade can always be rescheduled. Clonmel is a small town it's not a large city.

It's also nothing to do with religion.

It isn't about disrespecting people, its about giving people an outlet and something to help bring the town together.

I think that everyones reasons for either wanting the parade to go ahead or wanting it to be cancelled are good hearted and well intended.

In other words, people like myself that suggest it should go ahead are only doing so in the best interests of the town.

And I am sure that your reasons for cancelling the parade are, in your mind, in the best interests of the town also.

Everybody is trying to be positive, but they have different opinions on how to display that positivity, thats all.

I am from Dublin, not Clonmel. So in fairness, Clonmel being so small possibly means more people are against the parade going ahead as they are more familair to one another and the grief is more keenly felt across a very small community.

Whereas in Dublin or other large city, the vast majority of folks wouldnt know the deceased and although everyone would be saddened to hear the news, people may resolve that the wealth of positivity generated for the tens of thousands who attend and support the parade justifies it going ahead.

Especially because it doesnt conflict with the grief of the families.

The parade going ahead isn't a slight on the poor people who sadly died.

Its an unconnected event.

Would we cancel the GAA final for a crash in Dublin City Centre or a Westlife concert in the RDS etc?

No, we would not.

And that was my original point. If the crash happened in Dublin or London they wouldnt cancel a major parade or any other major event.

Perhaps we just have a different perspective, based on the size of the place we live in. But either way, we both have the best interests at heart for the people of Clonmel and if they decided in the main that the parade shouldnt go ahead, then thats what should happen.

We can both be right, but still express different opinions. Thats really what empathy is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

This is mostly horse. Dublin is a city with many Many towns the size of Clonmel. NOT comparable. Most likely an event would be cancelled in a small Dublin town out of respect. Id find it hard to believe people would be against postponement.

• Advertisement

Thats my point though. Its unfair to say someone from Dublin is uncaring because they would expect it to go ahead if the crash happened in Dublin. It would go ahead.

But Dublin folks can appreciate that in somewhere small like clonmel there is a different perspective, and thats fair enough.

Empathy works both ways, is all I am saying.

Advertisement