Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

If he does he will have plenty of support from the Indo. Fionnan Sheehan has backed this horse. A strange fellow Fionnan. Like the town clock - a face or an opinion for every hour. So the hotel guy gets a write up now for showing support.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

If RTE had been fully exchequer funded up to now, I guarantee you even less would be being done and RT WOULD be making a return in September.

The fact they are hemorrhaging money is the only reason that organisation will be forced to reform in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I guarantee you, if Tubridy launches a new project, which he’s expected to do- the headlines won’t be about his project, it will be about him not yet returning the money he received for the Renault gigs that didn’t happen- and rightly so in my view.

Hed be better off just being done with that part of this story and would likely win support for future endeavours where he needs that public support

Edit- didn’t see that latest story posted above- well I still think this will bite him - I don’t wish him a days luck if he doesn’t return that money and I don’t think I’m alone

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Great post and so spot on.

The toy show was never about the presenter, back in the day. Gaybo wore a Christmas jumper and the kids showed him the toys and how they worked. He was not the main focus and that was as it should be, imo.

I never watched it in the Tubridy years, but would see a clip or two online. It revolved more and more around Tubridy and his costumes and what would the theme be. Money no object of course 🙄. He acted as though he invented the whole thing. The Toyman...

No chat show should be about the presenter. They keep the conversation going, they ask the questions that we as viewers want to hear the answers to. I remember on the Graham Norton show one night, ages back so I can't remember the details but a conversation became unexpectedly serious among the guests, and he went with it, and handled it with perfect ease. And yes, his programme is not live and can be edited of course. But he is very skilled, imo, while making everything look relaxed and easy.

Tubridy at those launch things every year promised the show was getting even better. He wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

The Government only bother reforming things when they have a gun to their empty heads.

We're living in a world of spin. Words masquerading as action. A Government of apparently-busy fools who refuse do any meaningful work.

RTE will continue to be Flaithiúlach with taxpayers money but it will be better hidden in future.

When US President Eisenhower left the White House 70 odd years ago, he put his countrymen first when warning about the Industrial-Military Complex. A nefarious, if ephemeral cabal of bad-actors undermining his country and it's future. Can't say Ike wasn't spot on. Look at what the US has spiral into.

We have a lite version of this Complex in Ireland. As only we could. A Complex populated by the well connected, run by them and for them. And the rub of it, is that many good and principled Irish people are lured into the ranks. To be muzzled by money.

The Ascendency, the Landed Gentry of old haven't gone away you know. Pretentious Irish names and change of religion shouldn't cloak them.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement

That’s fair enough however your colleagues have the right to block your snakey ass from ever working anywhere near them again

He was amazing, his interview with Billy idol was world class radio

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lios67

It did strike me as surprising the amount of radio exposure Francis and John got when they announced they were selling the hotel .

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Have been offline for the last 2 weeks for personal reasons and haven't decided whether to return to boards in a permanent capacity or not yet, but just going to say the following for the moment.

Fionnán Sheahan: I am baffled by Sheahan's newfound support of Tubridy when he broke the story, did 2 if not 3 absolutely damning podcasts on the RTE story with Eamon Dunphy where he filleted Tubridy, on one of those podcasts dissected the "7 untruths" one by one and concluded 2 - at best - were claims that could be partially substantiated, and amongst the many tv shows he appeared on covering the topic gave us one of the more memorable clips with the following:

He went to town on Tubridy and NKM for weeks, Now he's saying Tubridy is "hard done by"? Make up your mind Fionnán. His complete volte face is Olympic-level flip flopping (not to be confused with the flip flops given out at the RTE Summer Party).

Bakhurst: arrived at the right decision but took a rather circuitous route to get there. Deserves some credit, but let's not forget that up until the 11th hour was willing to bring Tubridy back - this despite the fall in Licence Fee revenue, despite the staff "discomfort", and despite political and public outrage. His recent utterances that some of the contracted staff (let'; be honest here, this is NK "talent") have had differing responses to suggested contract renegotiations and his response to same is going to really telling.

I would agree with him on one thing - Tubridy has been badly advised. From the first statements, to the disastrous PAC appearances (which I advised against doing btw, and I'm not a fan), to the "PR" stuff that's been going on for weeks, to the final nail in the coffin statement he's played all of this about as badly as is possible.

Studio: small point: you can't install a "state of the art" studio in a day or two in any house (but particularly an older house like the one Tubridy lives in). Any audiophile would be able to tell you that. Also, you don't even need a studio to do podcats, you just need a good laptop and a good mic.........this is just more exaggerated PR nonsense from the NK stable, like the story how Tubridy was flying to London to meet BBC and ITV in the first couple of weeks after the crisis broke; or how Tubs confronted the tattoo-ed. muscle bound 20-something year old man who called him a bad word...except the 10-14 year old skinny kid who did actually say it had recorded the encounter and posted it on Tik Tok. Calling Tubridy's/NKM's versions of these stories "exaggerated" is being #kind.

PR: the battle re. Tubridy in RTE is mostly over, NKM and Crew are digging in for the long PR war it seems with all remaining NKM "talent" and their extended families it seems being summoned to tell the country what they think.....not that anyone actually asked of course but paper doesn't refuse ink. Jenny McCarthy (wife of another "superstar" 🙄 talent Martin King) and her husband might want to be careful in their invitation to Tubridy to return to the televisual airwaves on VMTV as if such a thing were to happen her husband might be the casualty - WMTV's coffers aren't like those of RTE's. If Tubridy is hired by them, there will be a cut (cuts plural more likely) elsewhere in that organisation. Be careful what you wish for Jenny.

Tubridy's message to Leaving Cert. students: Can people really not see what's going on there? It's as cynical as some of his other stunts designed to portray him a certain light - a light that should have been firmly extinguished after his self-serving and laying it on thick PAC appearances. It's a giant "I know you're dealing with stuff right now, but don't forget about me!" (see video below for more insight into this behaviour). People in this country are baffled by how some Americans vote for Trump no matter what he says or does - yet we have a certain cohort on our own doorstep who seem to believe in the fake and manufactured #kind persona that has been crafted for Tubridy. "Bonkers", as he's say himself. I'd imagine the NKM staffers were very busy deleting the nasty comments from the bag eggs to present the feedback as to make it appear as if his "message" was universally welcomed - it wasn't.

How can people not see through this?

I'll leave you with this for now - as bad and as overpaid as Tubridy was, he's actually a better presenter and gave better value than Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It'll be more like 100 variations on this theme

Almost regardless of whether he intends it to, because it'll be the elephant in the room, and any guests he has on will surely raise it in some context.

Which is why IMO it would be in his own interest to get out of Ireland for a few years anyway and take whatever job is going in British media, where nobody cares about Renault sponsorships and barter accounts.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

I would like to know,how many of the top brass in RTE had a few nice weekend stays in the Brennan hotel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

This stood out to me in the stuff John Brennan said:

But he has been very good to us, both personally and professionally, for many years.

Yes, he sure has. Gave them lots of publicity anyway.

And he has been very good to the Irish people.

Really?! Do tell, John... 🙄

"- yet we have a certain cohort on our own doorstep who seem to believe in the fake and manufactured #kind persona that has been crafted for Tubridy."

Couldn't agree more. But the surprising thing is that so many people buy into this nonsense. These fanboys and girls are either wilfilly ignorant, or worse; they are participating in the whole charade to appear fashionable to the neighbours. Keeping up with the Jones' in increasingly cringe attempts to love bomb their little-boy-lost. Ah get your sunglasses off your head in-doors Luv.

I was over in Liffey Valley a while back, and who came strolling out of Boots. The great M.King himself. Strolling out the door of the chemist, looking around to see who would notice him. Like a kid strutting out of the house in his Christmas clothes. He was on his own but I could almost see his imaginary entourage. Him and his "Howya Bridie" act was always ridiculous. Do these people think this **** washes anymore?

This whole loovie-doovie twitter sh1te is fooling no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

I think the Irish people have been very good to Tubbs. Millions over the last 15 years for sweet F.A. and even €150,000 top up he’s now pocketed that’ll never see the light off day again. What about t that John eh? What’s more, John seemed to be the money man in the Brennan double act. I’d doubt he’d be so quick coming to the defence of an underperforming but highly paid employee in his business who also trousered €150,000 of his money as a top up he’ll never see again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

All those "types" who crow around RT will probably just as quickly get behind Paddy Keilty as like moths they are drawn towards where the light is now and forget where it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Story in Irish mirror quoting RT cousin (who runs a hotel in Clifden) saying RT is planning a podcast series sponsored by an Irish “media outlet”.

With Fionnan Sheehan’s full on 360 degree u turn lately, my money is on the sponsor being the Irish/Sunday Indo.

It will be launched with a “tell all” “raw and authentic” multi page interview with Barry Egan and Niamh Horan.

Photoshoot will have RT sauntering around D4 eating Teddys 99s and saying hello to the grateful locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

That's a good shout re sponsor and FS's U turn.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I wouldn't pay any heed to the "state of the art studio" stuff. It's just sexy word count filler.

But a studio in his own gaff is half interesting.

Build it and they will come.

Marc Maron famously interviews famous people from his garage/gaff in LA. Is that gonna be RT's gig? Interviewing people? Surely that's thin enough content.

Build it and they will come.

Jarlath Regan in the past covered some big names and interesting people but he had London as a backdrop. Sile Seoige is hoovering up the bottom feeders on the local pond at present, Blondboy is covering the "deeper insight" schtik.

Throw in the big UK fish such as - Brydon, Theroux, Buxton, Herring etc. and let's not even complicate it with US podcasters and it starts to look like a pretty lame premise for a pod.

Tubs must really believe in his brand. As an artist myself you learn quick enough that "Likes" and "Follows" on line don't convert into people parting with their time and money quite as easily as tapping an icon.

Maybe he'll dazzle the begrudgers with a fresh belter of a Pod and the following he believes he has will transpire into paying subscribers and heavy hitting advertisers.

I don't see it myself.

But maybe, just maybe, as Ryan sips a Prosecco in his back garden, looking at the night sky as the lights of his state of the art studio illuminate the lovely green lawn... he hear's the voices of Gerry and Gay whisper... Build it and they will come.

Post edited by humberklog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

The only problem with a tabloid being your sponsor is that they've reserved the right to vilify RT once they've played out other angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

I wonder how popular Tubridy actually is. There seems to be a large number of people who tune into Radio 1 and the Late Late Show out of habit, rather than who's presenting. How many listeners actually tune in because of Tubridy? Podcasting is a different story. For starters, you have to actively seek out podcasts. Is the average radio 1 listener who turns on the radio for Morning Ireland and just leaves it run all day going to be the sort of person who'd chase up a podcast? If he is going down this road, he's late to the party. The podcast market has to be close to saturation point surely? For people who like podcasts, do they have the time or the interest to add another one to their feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

If Tubridy genuinely had intentions of refunding that €150,000, he would have done it by now. Seeing as it was ill gotten gains for services not rendered. Instead, he used it as a bargaining chip to get his foot back in the door of RTE. Now that plan has all gone kaput!, let's see if he can live up to the self appointed moniker of "the most trusted man in Ireland".

It might go some ways towards restoring a modicum of his increasingly failing integrity. Although it's unlikely it will be returned now, how will his fanbase defend his decision to keep it?

"He's on the dole", or "he needs it to pay for his new high end recording studio".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,486 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lads, always remember that ‘the grifters and liggers nirvana’ is getting the foot in to outfits like RTE.

Reason being that these coves know that a fair percentage of of screen and on air ‘personalities’ know that

that position is perfect for the ‘bathe your feet’ brigade and they have no problem in diving in with both feet, some even

go in studs up.

Hotels, Airlines, Event promoters, Sporting Organisations, Car dealerships’ would be key in all this..

’Quid pro quo’ is the name of the game and the question “Were you looked after’ ‘is the question usually asked after a fora into those murky waters.

Recent events have shown the participation of RTE ‘players and management’ to be enthusiastic participants in this dance of ‘you scratch my back I’ll scratch yours’

John Q Taxpayer better be realise this and be careful when the license fee is being criticized.

Its our only bulwark against being ridden bareback by these liggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Wonder if he needs planning permission for the state-of-the-art studio considering it's on a residential property.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Well if you do quality posts like that, regardless of whether one agrees or not with everything you say, then do consider staying on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Welcome back Butters!!

It's a much safer thread now too. Keep up your good fight.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Re the podcast, now I'm no spring chicken, but I suppose many who tuned in to RT were of a certain vintage who just switched on the radio and left it on the same station all day out of habit. Would any of them be bothered downloading a podcast app and searching for RT and following him?

Speaking for myself, I only listen to podcasts in a certain genre. I don't care who is delivering it as long as the content and duration suits me.

I follow several different podcasts, but with the exception of one or two, I really couldn't tell you who the presenter is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement