Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 World Athletics Championships, Budapest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dolldot2

All week on social media the amount of racist comments towards Rhasidat I am pretty disgusted and now it’s the fact she not a team player, selfish, lazy etc and all journalist articles are geared towards calling her out as well that the team made the final without her I mean FFS that is pure nasty! She owes no one anything and let’s be pure honest that team only made the final because USA got disqualified and they won’t even feature in the final! Sharlene maybe not purposely interviewed it did feel like a dig but they all need to cop on to be honest as you cannot depend on one athlete and I think Rhasidat is right to put herself first after all she was snubbed from the Irish relay team at the last Olympics! She is completely exhausted and didn’t look right from the start of these championships ..if she was in good shape I have no doubt she would run in that relay so people need to leave her alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭secman

The irish medical team have confirmed that Rhadida has an issue with her lower back, In very very simple terms ....she is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’m not on social media, so have no idea what’s being said about her, but can definitely imagine. All SM is a cesspit and is best avoided.

However, taking Adeleke out of the equation, I still want to acknowledge what that relay team accomplished last night. They were just 0.1 of a second outside the national record. That was achieved without Phil Healy, who when healthy, can deliver a low 51 relay leg, and without Cliodhna Manning, who is a low 52 individual performer. Our sub for the relay last night, was teenager Niamh Murray, who is a 54.xx individual performer! It was a truly stellar performance by that team and should absolutely be celebrated, given the context.

Going forward, I can’t see Rhasidat Adeleke taking part in events like world relays to qualify us for major championships. My sense is that the team should plan to make championships and have a sufficiently strong squad to potentially make European and global finals. Adeleke can then be drafted in for the final, assuming she’s healthy and willing.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

It’s a 1 minute run not a marathon. It’s not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm in awe of your knowledge on the subject of athletics. 😂

• Advertisement

You sound overwrought. Have a cup of weak tea and calm yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

You sound a bit aggrieved yourself. Have you ever contributed anything on any level to Irish Athletics to feel such a way?

The keyboard warriors are after me now 😂 … not taking away a brilliant performance that the Irish relay team produced last night but give Rhasidat a break. I am not sure if anyone listened to Edrick Floreal her coach in the US he was interviewed on off the ball on Thursday and he had some very interesting analysis but he clearly mentioned her body after the travel to Europe body broke down completely she had being having lower back issues and she still finished 4th like!! He said she hasn’t even worked on her core and strength and that her core is weak and they will focus on this for next season. All her interviews this week you could clearly tell something was not right her demeanour etc she was mentally exhausted but unlike some high profile athletes she still put her foot on the line and Edrick mentioned she was so upset after the race felt like she let everyone down! We should get behind this talent because the sky is the limit for this girl and we are so lucky to have her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

And yet another thread on Boards descends into toxic, futile bickering. Is it any wonder this site is become increasingly irrelevant?

FFS, we can’t even discuss the fantastic accomplishment of an Irish team unexpectedly reaching a global sprint final.

Perhaps we can focus on how this squad can continue to improve and make global relay finals going forward and possibly medal, rather than pointless back-and-forth about an athlete who isn’t taking part in the relay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Coe was talking about compressing the championships amongst many other things i can't recall

They are a little drawn out but it allows athletes to double and triple up

I have to hand it to MJ he's very good on discussion, well fit to engage with coe on everything in the studio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

You sound like you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. First off, you don't know if Adeleke is injured or just exhausted or both. But, if you had any real interest in athletics you'd know that she hasn't looked 100% for the last few races, including that DL run about 3 weeks ago. A 49.2 runner coming home in 50.xx indicates that all is not right. But you didn't let any of that stop you posting your immature nonsense. "It's only a minute" What a tosser.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

This thread must have the record for reported posts in this forum in years and that still hasn't been anywhere enough reports to highlight the amount of crap in this thread.

For those who are reporting - don't be put off. While you may not see it, I'm acting on as much as I can. There have been posts deleted and warnings here sometimes it's hard to jump in in the middle of a conversation and try to comprehend whats been going on, particularlly one as fast moving as this one.

Pity all this crap has taken away from an otherwise excellent thread to enjoy an excellent Championships.

I cannot wait for the final night of athletics in Budapest! The 800m women is going be some race. I think Keely might steal it over Mu and then Mary Moraa and maybe Jemma Reeki!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's the last night. 😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Definitely that should be the highlight tonight!

The 4x400 relays are always fun too. I would say the GB women have a good chance, with US gone, the Irish women have done so well to make the final. The men's will be US barring a disaster I would think, maybe Jamaica to give them a challenge! Intrigued to see how India go after that semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gebriwhet for the slight upset

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Normally, my 3 year old rules the roost when watching the TV from 7-8pm before his bedtime.....but for the last week he has been saying "Daddy you watch your races on the big tv" before bedtime...

I dont know what im going to put on when this is all over!

It will be a huge loss!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Katir for a win here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hope Aregawi can get on the podium here after the disappointment of the 10k, fun to watch and always make a race interesting.

Think Jakob will bounce back and win this though, even if the field is looking stronger than last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Why do the women basically run in their knickers , which seem to be getting skimpier and skimpier, when the men can wear shorts? Is it driven by sponsors? It really annoys me and if I was young, it would put me off taking up running. As well as the knickers, they’ve the cutaway tops, basically running in their underwear when the men are in singlets and shorts. Why can’t the women also wear singlets and shorts like they used to?

It's a strong field...I think Ingebrigtsen might just get pipped we will see!

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thought the Norwegian was gonna blow it again. Great 5000

Or not just pipped Katir, he ran a brilliant clever well paced race!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I thought the Spanish athlete was going to win!

Is Cram mispronouncing his name?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Good race, some win for Jakob! Didn't think he was gonna do it, thought he was giving himself too much work to do on the final lap. I was too scared to post it in case it blew up in my face, but Jakob and Katir was my predicted top two. Thought Aregawi would snag the bronze though.

I think that's the second consecutive 4th place finish at Worlds for Grijalva? Gutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

He irritates me but that was quality from Ingebrigtsen, dug deep to win it on the line.

• Advertisement

Same but he so good really wanted Katir to hold on!! The French guy ran really well

Advertisement