Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

We didn't even make it to the World Cup this time before imploding.

I said to my eldest lad at full time after the England game that if you listened very carefully you could just about hear the alarm bells going off in English rugby.

Watching May score a good try early on I was thinking England seemed a bit sharper and if May was in form it would lesson the blow of Watson. Boy did it go downhill for them, that last try Fiji scored was absolutely shocking - massive gap like that on the try line!? Players can't differentiate between the system they're playing to and the in-games tweaks they need to trust themselves to make on the fly. Absolutely no adaptability and seemingly bereft of confidence. I really think we're looking at the possibility of this England team topping the 2015 performance.

We could have done them a big favour this evening by losing - would have swallowed up some of the oxygen in the room. The English fan base on social media are unanimously scathing, even the in-game commentators are sighing with frustration at the increasingly amateur state of the national team and for the second week in a row they got bullied - Fiji were FAR more convincing. Looking at those updated world rankings there is a solid argument that Fiji have a better chance of a semi-final than Ireland do.

General sentiment towards Borthwick seems to be pretty sympathetic but totally out of his depth. Honestly I hope he can leave this stuff aside when he goes home, I'd be staring at the ceiling all night.

Bizarre end to the warm ups. Would not have anticipated such a dominant game from South Africa and the 7-1 split along with bench all coming on at once is potentially a bit of announcement to the other teams of how South Africa are going to play. England and Ireland struggling to the extent they did changes the narrative a bit on the eve of the tournament but the losing finalist from 4 years ago being out of form to this extent is crazy.

Edit: Scratch what I said about potentially doing England a favour by losing, England's final pool game is on the 7th of October against Samoa and it's very possible both teams could have one loss a piece coming into the game. They'll be more concerned by how well Samoa disrupted a somewhat flat Ireland and lasted the 80.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

England look rudderless. I would bet Borthwick gets shown the door soon. They'll come knocking for Faz. But, Joe Schmidt would be a good bet for them.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

This is shaping up to be a fascinating WC. Georgia, Fiji, Tonga, Italy and Uruguay have all done very well in the warmups and will come into the tournament with their tails up. With Wales, England, Australia and a few others in brutal shape we'll see some epic results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

Looking forward to France v Australia today. It would be amazing if Aussie put in a big performance to really throw the cat amongst the pigeons. Highly unlikely, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Neutral hat on, the other half of the draw looks like it could be fascinating.

Unfortunately I'm going to tear my neutral hat into a million pieces with nerves and frustration by the time our first game kicks off.

I have no difficulty seeing that Fiji team doing a complete number on Wales.

NZ and France have both faltered in the warm ups, France could get their campaign properly started with a convincing win today, will give a much clearer indication of where Austria are too.

Great weekend of rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

One of my hopes for this WC is that great performances from Tier 2 nations might scupper the world league shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

Don't agree at all - he's actually an excellent defender and his 'stupid errors' nowadays are typically when he's playing under advantage so free to try something outrageous.

It's odd that almost every current and former international fly-half raves about him yet the Welsh*, in particular, and many Irish fans remain blinkered.

*they seem to think that they have a God-given right to be the only Lions nation that produces FH geniuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

He must have improved it since this game so, because his pretend effort at tackling ollivion is funny

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PeterTork

Is the squad announcement live online anywhere, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Well excetuted but simple try from France, lineout + one pass + big carry = try

Poor Aussie defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

Where were the Australian centres there?

France started well. They really have it all.

I reckon they are the team to beat in the world cup. If you want the webb ellis trophy you are going to have to beat them at some stage.

Speaking of poor Aussie defending, now it's France's turn 🤔

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Nawatansjri2ksndj2kamzbwwisnzi is not gonna be stopped if you give him that much space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

If the media say they are then I guess they are...

Wtf is going on at the French lineout?

Some worrying time for their lineout that needs fixing

• Advertisement

Very harsh pen there

That one's harsh too.

Should have been scrum pen to Australia there too

Moronic going for the posts there

If there is a game that show's why having a 10 who can kick is important than surely this is up there...

Bold stragegy from Eddie Jones here, picking a goal kicker who's allergic to scoring points............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Australia's discipline is crap. So many needless penalties conceded.

France running around in 2nd gear, all they have to do is wait for Australia to be penalised

The big difference between the sides here is discipline and the basics. France overall have been better but the score flatters them a little imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Australian discipline is shocking today.

Advertisement