Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Rawr

Isn’t this the same guy who “won” a Senior competition at his course a short while ago, despite only competing on the second day and using some make-believe score from previous personal games to give him a winning score for the day he *didn’t* attend?

Going to bet that he “won” again, in the sense that he didn’t at all and some mucking about in the score cards happened.

Apparently he also simply cheats:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Cheats at golf. Cheats on his wives. Cheats his workers. Cheats at elections: I'm beginning to think Donald Trump mightn't be a stand-up guy.

But he makes those blue haired feminists and soy boy cuck beta woke libs angry, so that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 19,776 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Now, you see, here's where you're wrong.. because Trump doxed a lad at the course so that we would *know* his score was legit!

See??

(Totally sane thing to do!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I certainly believe there was no HankyLankey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

People want to play golf with yer man simply to get an outrageous cheating anecdote to share with their friends. They'd be terribly disappointed if he didn't cheat at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,776 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭briany

People like Loomer just want attention, and this is one of the things that handicaps Trump's 'movement'. Trump's crazy, but he's also surrounded by people who are trying to out-crazy each other in order to get a seat at the table, so they can have cash and notoriety. I doubt Loomer believes a word of what she's saying. Her motivations are more than likely very shallow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Listen. Any golfer who tries calling themselves an Athlete, nevermind Trump, deserves ridicule. And yes I appreciate there are probably some golfers in this thread - face guys, you're not getting exercise and nobody's fooled. The 19th hole undoes the work 🤭 That's speaking as someone who used to play golf, many moons ago too lol.

I daresay the bullshít Trump has tried on the golf course would fill books. And probably will, when he croaks.

The professional ones have as much right to call themselves athletes as shot put throwers do, and keep in mind that shot put is listed under the umbrella of athletics, despite it being essentially throwing a heavy ball, with a little spin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

History is replete with examples of states, nations and movements that fell apart once the initial galvanising force disappeared. They won't admit it but what passes for big beasts in the MAGA demographic know that Trump is done one way or another. Maybe he's found not guilty but he's not winning in 2024. He's in terrible shape, lives a tremendously unhealthy lifestyle and is already extremely old. Were he not Trump, he'd have anointed and legitimised a successor but that's what someone with foresight and common sense would do.

This is not a man in his prime. Once he's either dead or in prison, the MAGA movement will engage in all out civil war on social media.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That image is fake. Saw it popping around on Twitter a few weeks ago but it's photoshopped.

Good point. From Genghis Khan onwards, the problem with power through personality is that once the personality goes, there's nothing left to hold things together. Movements and countries fragment once the centre of gravity is removed; and in many respects we're seeing this BEFORE Trump dies - look at MTG, already crying havoc and trying to wage war with Fox. The GOP candidates are already tearing each other to shreds over the kind of Reverse Purity Tests usually seen in liberal circles.

The right are already eating themselves and Trump hasn't even become worm food yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,876 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks. I've removed it.

The other point is that the personality never builds any sort of structures of long term support to supplant the personality once the time comes.

A decade ago, I'd have said that the left's biggest problem is its inherent factionalism. It's so baffling to see the right steal this and indulge in it to this degree. The Republican party as an entity will endure but it'll be horribly scarred in the process.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The other point is that the personality never builds any sort of structures of long term support to supplant the personality once the time comes

To that: personality can, to an extent: see Napoleon 3 (The Search for Spock), basically rebuilding Paris cos he could. Even the big N himself left lasting structures not just in France but informed much of Western Europe's legal structures. A single figure can drive change if they're inclined towards some notion of civic duty. Or just wanna demolish all those slums and build the Parisian equivalent of Delta City.

And to Trump, he had control of every single branch of government - yet still failed to do the one thing he promised in 2016, Repeal Healthcare. He's a provable failure who can't even use his personality to get stuff done. So the cult of personality isn't just finite - it's built on straw.

I'm beginning to think that Trump will live another 20 years at least, just to spite death. People have been saying how he can't have long left due to his age and apparently unhealthy lifestyle, and yet here he still is. He's not retiring, he's not got the feet up, he seems to be powered by a kind of evil determination to get even with people and be adored by his followers. There can't be any complacency, sitting back thinking that he's going to drop dead any day now.

I really think that the only person who can take the throne of Trumpism is his son Don Jr. . He's on his way to being as slimy and megalomaniacal as his dad. I don't think Trump really trusts or respects anyone else outside of Don Jr., Ivanka and Baron anyway. He'll want it to be one of them if he can ever accept it won't always be him.

That's the thing, though. Napoleon (I & III) both had brains and abilities. As an aside, what do you mean "The search for Spock"?

In 2016, Trump promised this and that only to end up doing what everyone who'd read a book like David Cay Johnson's knew he would do: enrich himself and his cronies like a particularly abysmal medieval king. I actually struggle to think of a King of England who was that bad now that I think of it.

He was so crap in every conceivable way and yet the devoted remain just as zealous as ever.

Who's to say? What's certain is that he's become the worst version of himself and that's saying something. 2016 Trump pretended to have big ideas and solutions. 2023 Trump is a rapist and a fascist pursuing a vendetta and nothing else.

Can Jr take over just like that though? There's a lot of empty heads with evil hearts and loud mouths to contend with. I can't see more than a few of them just getting in behind him. There's also Eric and Ivanka. I can't see anything other than turmoil for conservatism in the US post-Trump.

• Advertisement

@ancapailldorcha

Who's to say? What's certain is that he's become the worst version of himself and that's saying something. 2016 Trump pretended to have big ideas and solutions. 2023 Trump is a rapist and a fascist pursuing a vendetta and nothing else.

Can Jr take over just like that though? There's a lot of empty heads with evil hearts and loud mouths to contend with. I can't see more than a few of them just getting in behind him. There's also Eric and Ivanka. I can't see anything other than turmoil for conservatism in the US post-Trump.

I think what we're now seeing is 'Dark MAGA', although this may not be deliberate on Trump's part. What I mean is the dropping of all the pretence of appealing to moderates and the 'spicy' counter-cultural elements of MAGA where Trump was hitting everyone with funny jabs and quips and making 'libs' cry and become outraged. It is now just rage and vengeance. It is possibly the clearest look at the 'thing' that the American conservative has been nurturing and feeding with ignorance/fear since Obama got elected. Like that scene in David Cronenberg's version of The Fly where the face falls off and you fully see the monster behind it.

No, this is just what MAGA always was. They've just ditched marketing it. They're treating like it is some sort of revolution with any detractors being labelled as counter-revolutionaries who must be destroyed, particularly since they've gone after glorious leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm sure his presidential library will be like Graceland to his supporters. I do wonder where he will be buried for maximum exposure. His legacy won't be building projects and I doubt they will name any ships or buildings after him so I think it will be a distorted memory of what he achieved. I could easily see alot of republicans voting him the second best president in the last hundred years after Reagan

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

His library will be the largest collection of colouring outside the lines the world has ever seen.

Knowing Trump, his tomb will be covered in gold leaf and be gaudiest piece of crap this side of the Pharaohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

How many books will they try and ban in that library? The ones without the lift-up flaps and aren't composed of three word slogans?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lawrence Tribe and J Michael Luttig planted the seed, and now here it begins to go with first lawsuits filed to keep Trump off the ballot for engaging in insurrection as an elected official.

That's the thing, though. Napoleon (I & III) both had brains and abilities. As an aside, what do you mean "The search for Spock"?

Just a lazy bit of Star Trek humour; don't worry about it 🤭

As to bad kings, good point. Plenty of bad ones but few outright terrible or especially autocratic ones - Charles I maybe?

Trump defies standard analysis cos it rockets past conventional notions of political ideology along left and right biases into actual cult worship - best I can make it, American Christian Conservatism took massive head trauma and adopted Trump as the "imperfect vessel" to fast-track their Gilead fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Rawr

Knowing Trump’s ego, he’d likely select a section of Trump Tower to house his Presidential Library. Oddly poetic if he did that, as he would complete the image of him being like Biff Tannon from the bad 1984 in Back To the Future 2, where Biff ruled from his sleazy tower resort, complete with a personal museum on the ground floor.

Trump would likely also try to set up some hideous tomb there too. In the heart of New York to get the most attention, and within the security of Trump Tower if they allowed it. Probably prudent since if you put his grave in an outside graveyard and you’ll have queues for miles to dance upon it…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭amandstu

No one has done that with Maggie Thatcher(as far as I know) and she was just as despised. Still ,who would want T's grave in their neighbourhood?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement