Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The next one should unquestionably be Dart Underground, but the pissing around over that really doesn't leave much to be desired.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd say more likely extensions to Metrolink. Extending north to meet the northern line, Green Line upgrade, South West branch or new line, Metro West, etc.

DU would fall under Irish Rail, different folks from who work on Metrolink and Luas (TII).

TII in fairness sort of sounds like what Kris describes in Prague, they had a constant pipeline of road projects and then moved onto constant Luas projects and now onto Metrolink.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I can think of many reasons to question your "unquestionable" assumption on DU. But it's off topic for this thread.

Great to see things making progress on MetroLink.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

There will be always be someone with seeming authority claiming that buses on their own will be fine. Unless that mentality is faced down we'll always be fifteen to thirty years away from delivery of any project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Looking at the submissions TCD and opw are making on Metrolink i think we will be looking at further delays sadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭prunudo

The opw should worry about keeping the rivers dredged rather than stalling a much needed public transport project that ironically will also help meeting our cliamte goals, which, in a roundabout would beneficial to their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Anyone know:

1) when this oral hearing is to take place,

2)how long it will take for the OH to take place

3)how long it will take for ABP to make a decision on the oral hearing

4) will the decision on the oral hearing contribute to the overall decision from ABP on the metro link project, so for example if they decide changes need to be made to the Stephens green station- is the whole application back to the drawing board or just that particular element? Ie can they grant permission for metro link to go ahead pending wherever changes arise from the oral hearing?

Trinity must be worried their secret underground tunnels will be uncovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't think there is a decision on the oral hearing. They have the hearing, people have their say and ABP take that into account when making the final determination. Oral hearings are really just a forum to allow the loud-mouths feel important.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, no decisions are made there, it's just another way of getting submissions really.

Lol at Trinity asking for it to be ended before it gets to them. Considering the state that they've left Pearse St for decades, they can safely be considered to a blight on Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I can explain... leo varadkar and government decided to send it back to the drawing board to make it look like they would save a few a few euro on the project, that was their justification for cancelling it... this thing they must not been aware of , called inflation, has massively inflated the price. Watch the next step of the metrolinkfarce, it will get planning g and then be cancelled on cost saving grounds. The new proposed line will be half the length and cost more than this current project...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

On the Dart+ thread, @cgcsb mentions that he's heard November as a date that they want the Metrolink hearing to go ahead. Just a rumour, I believe, but they're trustworthy enough that I'd believe it to be the aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I had personally put the confidence level there would be a spade in the ground at around 30%. If Trinity and their endowment are willing to go to war over this I can’t see us getting that far.

Even if it survives a probable high court challenge, the delay will push us past the period of time where the government has a surplus on hand.

Varadkar’s decision to kill the original Metro North project will leave a dreadful legacy for decades to come.

Open to correction here, but I understood that the current plans and investigatory works for Metrolink are far more advanced than Metro North even though it had got approval.

The likes of trinity taking a challenge when they get huge state funding and delaying this project could cost hundreds of millions, isn't on. They should be stopped from doing it or they need a special court for bog infrastructure projects , with decisions in months, from start to finish. End of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Where can the objections be read?

I'm just speculating but is the reason for Trinity asking for route to be moved 60m westwards related to the CRANN (Centre for Research on Adaptive Nanostructures and Nanodevices) building? When that building was built (next to the Dart line), it was designed so that vibrations from trains wouldn't impact research in the centre. You're talking fractions of a mm, super sensitive.

If a Metro tunnel is constructed under CRANN, it may impede the high tech nano research carried out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

If this is the case, the time to make this known was at the early design phase. The engineers would have had enough brains to know that digging under a site that does scientific research would require them to check what exactly their plan would be digging under.

At a very early stage, Trinity world have been told that a section of their site was under consideration to have a tunnel beneath it. That was the time to object. Not now.

If that is the case, surely an engineering solution can be found such as extra reinforcing along this section on tunnel.

• Advertisement

Can't see why such a solution wouldn't be part of the current design already if it was needed.

Maybe they did raise the concerns and they have determined in the interim that the submitted plans do not go far enough to mitigate disruption during construction and/or operation.

Alternatively, maybe someone high up in Trinity lives near Charlemont and they're just getting really desperate 😂🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭specialbyte

Here's what TCD are worried about. Their submission is entirely about electromagnetic interference from the metro interfering with the sensitive lab equipment at the science end of the Trinity. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120252895#Comment_120252895

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

So why lastminute.com? Not exactly scientific method there, lads.

@specialbyte thanks for that information. As you say, TCD has been stupid in the past, but it's normal for new works to fix any issues they create for existing works, so in this case TII should include mitigation, as it seems they have.

RF isn't my specialty by any means, but I did study electronics, and I work adjacent to the field of RF comms. The knowledge of radio theory that I still have would suggest that the earth between the tunnels and the buildings in TCD will absorb most of the electromagnetic radiation from the metro: the highest-power EM emissions will be from sparking, and these would be in the high-frequency region (above 1MHz), a part of the radio spectrum that won't propagate through solid earth. The Very Low Frequencies (from fluctuations in DC voltage) on the other hand don't propagate well through air, and rely on ground-effects, but if the transmitter is not in the ground, then that radio energy would tends to travel along the boundary between materials - in this case, the tunnel's inner edge: in effect, the metro tunnel would be a waveguide, and very little EM radiation would escape.

The little that does escape would be a small contribution to the EM noise produced by all the electronic devices around a modern city (plus spark-ignition cars). AM radio and the less shielded emissions from DART trains are a bigger issue for them than any radiation from Metro. But the long wavelength of "near-DC" low frequency emissions would also mean that if these were as big a problem as TCD says, then there'd be no significant difference if the route was moved up to half a kilometre either side of Trinity, which would nicely illustrate how unreasonable their complaint is - the choices are either that Dublin gets no metro, or that TCD adds some (more) EM insulation to a couple of its buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The EM thing is a strange one. If their lab is so sensitive why didn't they build it in some forest in Leitrim? Why locate something in Dublin city centre that is hyper sensitive to vibration and em?

How much did crann cost to build ? Relocate it if there is going to be an issue... a few million or ten million is a pittance compared to the metrolink inflation related cost increases every month...

Post edited by Murph85 on

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Trinity can move their lab much easier than Metrolink be rerouted. If this scuppered the project it would be an absolute outage.

Is it possible they're positioning themselves for a payoff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is no particular reason to suggest this will cause problems. Objections can be and frequently are ignored. One of the benefits of the tortuous consultation process is that many of these issues will have been flagged and whatever remedial action possible taken.

Advertisement