Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Haaland is forever dragging people down, and claiming it's him getting dragged down, and he never gets booked for it, does it ongoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

I didn’t say he was initiating contact, I haven’t even seen it. Someone asked what initiating contact meant and I outlined what I think it meant. Utd were very good one year at winning penalties and paid a price for it then for a year or two because refs were on to what they were trying and reacted, maybe overreacted in some cases. But when you award a penalty, then see what you awarded it for, you’re going to be wary about awarding it again. There was also a rule change too about winning penalties by “initiating contact” after that season when a record number were awarded. Maybe you think it’s a grudge, but it’s just the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

But there was contact, not enough for him to go down like he did but that is where football is at the moment in England, you stay on your feet you get nothing.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Gvardiol can run straight into an opponent's already outstretched arm and get them booked. Good to know.

Different rules for city

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He kicks people in the head and doesn't get booked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Relentless pressure, was only a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

No disrespect to Sheffield United, but imagine running onto the pitch and getting a big stadium ban, just to celebrate a goal against a promoted side. In August.

If it was a late winner in a derby, or against a title rival in April/May, it might be different.

What a clown that City fan is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf there are some pundits who are just dense and utterly insane with rubbish takes, Aluko and Agbonlahor for example rarely seem to be addressing any kind of reality at all. Others like Keown are comically biased.

Rashford didn't initiate contact that's all I'm saying.

See you are seeing patterns where there aren't any, it's juts united won a lot of penos one year and didn't others simple, it's as bad as united fans claiming klopp giving out had some effect on the penalties we won. (There could be some arguements towards style of play but also the many rule changes over those years of course but that would require quite the deep dive into all penalty incidents involving united over the 5 years not just the ones awarded)

If refs thought united were diving or initiating contact they wouldn't give the original penalties they arent collectively not going to give us penalties to punish (what you see) past failures that's nonsense

There is no facts in what you say but plenty of conjecture for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sky commentators have a very low threshold of what constitutes a foul when it comes to Grealish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Sheffield Utd equalise in the 84th min !!

Some finish! City slacked off a wee bit and paid for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very poor by Walker. Too cocky altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great finish by Rodri.

Boah, didn't last long :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Sheffield United equalised with 5 minutes to go and I just knew they wouldn't hold on to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

what a waste that shot was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

They’ve missed one sitter and another good chance to level it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's against City who have the most over powered squad in the history of the game, no surprises at all.

There's no fairy tales in football anymore just state backed clubs lording over everyone.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Who was the long haired SU player who let Walker take the ball back at the byline for the winner?

Won't sleep tonight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The order might change (hell we are only 3 games in so it should really) but I could see that bottom six being the bottom six for most of the season. Huge gulf between the top teams and the bottom teams now imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Can't listen to the vast majority of them. I couldn't care less what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

How's that not a second yellow for TAA?????? Ref has bottled it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Trent blessed to still be on the pitch.

Edit: probably wasn't. Didn't actually get him in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

And that's why those types of bookings that Trent got will be tricky.

The ref didn't want to make that decision on the foul.

Stupid of Trent to get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

2nd yellow all day long. Ref filled the jocks

Onana's was a penalty for me. People argue it was a collision by both, but I think he initiated it. But as I said here at the time, I'm not going to go out of my way to change someone's mind who thinks it was simply a collision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ref bottled booking Gordon for the same reason he booked Trent it is that lack of constancy that annoys fans

It was a domino effect of decisions.

The ref didn't give a free kick for the push in the back by Gordon, so Trent threw the ball (onto the pitch?) while sitting on the ground after being pushed over. I'm assuming annoyed at being pushed over from the back and off the pitch. The yellow card was given instantly.

It wasn't like some other examples I've seen in the last couple weeks where players are holding onto the ball for 30 seconds instead of taking a throw in. But the referee deemed this as time wasting so that's it.

I don't think the actual foul a minute later was an actual yellow card offence and as it was his first foul, the 'totting' up reason can't be applied.

• Advertisement

deary me trent, 1-0 newcastle

Trent mistake leads to the goal

His regression over the last few seasons has been something.

WTF?! red?

And there's the referee compensating.

Farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

That lad is an absolute menace to his own defence.

last man red? certainly not for the foul

Neville is literally ignoring that it was a brilliantly timed tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Ridiculous by big Virg. Don't know why he's giving the ref sh*t over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Last man back takes out the attacker before getting the ball... It's a red card.

Attacker was through on goal and straight in on the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He has never mentioned once how much of the ball he got. I think it is harsh, but he did obviously take him out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

But it wasn't. He kicked the attacker first then got the ball.

In real time I thought he got the ball but on replay it’s obvious he just kicks through Isaks legs who turned him and was through on goal

Correct decision imo but definitely debatable

Clear foul. Had to be a red. Trent couldn't tackle Gordon and he played the ball in.

• Advertisement

think i would have taken off gakpo rather than diaz, he is one of their best players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Some save that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The ref straight out with the red. Then cowering around as he's not sure about what he's done is right, until VAR won't overturn his decision, then he grows a bit of a spine and gestures to get off the field to VVD. I don’t know, VVD won the ball. But did he commit a foul?

Neville as ever is obnoxious on co-commentary.

Ya same in real time I thought that VVD won the ball. The replay showed he got the Isak first and cleared the ball then.

Red card was for last man, but not the tackle. Wasn't a red card foul as such, just the situation of where it took place dictated it was one.

That’s a ridiculous save

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement