Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joma4good

i would have liked to see Prendergast make it, only prob is I couldn’t see who I’d leave out, maybe McCloskey but I like him too. It’s a great squad very difficult to argue against anyone who made it. Big shame for Cian Healy probably my favourite Irish player ever, if it’s possible to get back to fitness I wouldn’t bet against him making a late stage reappearance. I still think we have a very tough route to succeed past the quarters and as disappointing as that might be I can’t fault the prep and personnel we’ve used in the run up to this W.C. Good luck lads and let’s enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

Gutted for Healy, was there any indication of how bad his injury is or how long he will be out? Probably too soon I know to fully understand the full extent of his injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

6 to 10 weeks, Farrell said himself.

Honestly, I'd leave that up to Healy himself. I know he plans be available for Leinster for the full season, but I think if I were him, looking at another tortuous rehab and knowing that I owed nobody anything, I'd retire tomorrow.

And he would depart as one of the true all time greats and most decorated professionals in the history of the game in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

More or less the team we picked at the start of this thread bar Healy. I just don't think we have enough cover in different positions in the backs to go with 19 fowards ... too soon for Frawley and earls and o'brien are a bit undersized for centre ..add a brittle out half to that.

Sadly I think we are another cycle away to truely having the depth compared to bigger nations but we are getting there.

But c'mon Ireland

• Advertisement

Its nothing to do with the Backs that their are only 18 forwards. The versatility across our loose forwards mean we simply do not need 19. And if we have a bad injury, God forbid, there are guys like Coombes and Prendergast on call for a 90 minute flight to Tours.

Our backs are plenty versatile.

And if you let it get into people's heads, that they are still one cycle away they'll start to believe it. The best chance ever is now. This World Cup. The only goal is the next game. Then the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

18-15 a mistake hope if a back get injured a forward will be called later

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Prendergast is just not good enough. No where near good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s not that he can’t, it’s that he didn’t, when any 10 with a brain would have. If you haven’t got the ability to grasp that, I would suggest you do leave it there. I’ll leave you to your delusion that he’s a genius.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He's clearly near good enough cause he will more than likely be the next backrow called up.

• Advertisement

Its a mistake, in your opinion.

That doesn't mean Farrell and his Coaches are mistaken. They have months and gigabytes of data and observation. They have the playbooks.

If they come a cropper for it in some way during the tournament, then we can say it was a mistake, but not now, not looking on from the ditch.

In any case, its really not that important of a call. Injury means a replacement from the extended squad, just 90 minutes away. And if tactics require it, an injury can be manufactured to call someone in from the extended 50 submitted to World Rugby earlier. Only draw back is, that player may not return.

Honestly, I'd say at least 18 other Countries wish they had our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Healy a big loss , we were always going to get injuries, and will get some more in tournament - on the positive Sheahan is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Squad is as expected really. Gutted for the two Cian’s but got different reasons.

Slightly concerned about Sexton, Sheehan, Kelleher, Conan and JOB’s level of fitness considering the lack of minutes they’ve had over the warm ups. Hopefully the schedule is as nice as it looks on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

I can't quite leave it there - I'll just point out re 'delusion' that thankfully AF and JS don't share your delusion on FR - 10 minutes on Google will help you there.

In fact if you search for pretty much any famous FH or coach and Finn Russell, you will be educated about what the rugby cognoscenti's view is on him.

But maybe you know better - you do know you are in the company of many Welsh fans by the way! I think I know where I would rather be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not sure about the back 3. I think it's fairly close.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I really don't. Lowe is far better than VdM. Graham vs Hansen is fairly close, but for me Hansen brings so much with his playmaking. There's not a 15 in the NH better than Keenan

• Advertisement

Romania are garbage (unfortunately for them), it will be a good run out for players to get some match fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

No shock in that squad, I said a few weeks back Earls was on the plane, all he had to do was stay fit and he makes it. Delighted for him.

The real loser here and through no fault of his is Cian Healy, gutted for him, really.

I never thought we'd had a Toner type shock this time round, the squad looked settled.

Gutted for Church. What a shame. He just picks up injuries at the wrong time. I've no problem with Loughman getting called up. He'll play v Romania 🇷🇴. He can probably do a job as a finisher.

Surprised that Baird only has that few caps! I thought he was mid 20's!

Team v Romania

1 Loughman. 2. Herring. 3. T.OT

4. Hendo. 5. Mc

6. Baird. 7. POM

8. Conan

9. Murray

10. Crowley

11. Earls. 12. Stu. 13. Henshaw. 14. MH

15. J.O.B

16. Kelleher

17. Loughman

18. Bealham

19. Beirne

20. VDF

21. Casey

22. RB

23. AKI

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Spain are better than Romania, who only qualified cause of some technicality - Spain were thumped by 60 points by the Pumas last night - really will be a run out for many.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Sexton definitely starts against Romania. He hasn't played in 6 months.

And Kelleher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I wouldnt be sure about that. It will depend when a replacement is called. The versatility Prendergast brings is valuable in the Group stages. It becomes less valuable as the tournament moves on. I think if we had to call someone up in the quarters, you would then be looking at who is the best like for like swap. If Conan got injured against Scotland, I would be surprised if it wasnt Coombes that was called up.

Potentially, but Prendergast was the backup in the 6N also. He is clearly rated by the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

My comment does not go remotely near implying that FFS - I happen to think that the match against Scotland is a far harder proposition than many on here think - it would be good to have a sensible discussion on that but it seems that is not possible on this 'discussion' board.

Darcy Graham, who according to Andrew Mehrtens recently would walk into any World XV at the moment, was injured for the 6N match - is he not a potential major threat?

Surely that represents an immediate narrowing of the gap, unless you think he's also 'flaky'/ can't defend etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭fitz

He sure can create moments of magic if you give him the opportunity to, and when he does people get excited about his flair. The media are obsessed with him, cause they love a bit of flash...they always ask about how teams are going to deal with him.

What do you expect teams to say in response? That they're not worried about him cause he's good for some bad decisions and tends to lose interest when his team go behind? No, they'll give the media-training stock respectful and complementary answer.

Russell's talent isn't in question, his attitude is, and it absolutely still makes him flaky, imo.

Advertisement