Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Nonsense talk/analysis said the lads from their armchairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That shot is so borderline that every new angle, video I change my mind. If the referee called it legal it would be hard to complain. It’s not like it’s in the realms of Henry Cooper. Anyway, whatever about the shot it would have still been very sore 5 mins later and it largely took Usyk’s feet from him. It was up to Dubois to go and win it. If he had done that then Usyk supporters could point to the fact that Usyk was compromised from the (low) shot. Usyk went on and made the thing happen, he planted his feet, went into danger and made sure. Dubois didn’t and that’s the difference with a champion. Dubois at 25 could well learn a bit more and improve but I feel he’s regressed for a start and is missing too much to ever become a world champion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Usyk a poor fighter?? Only maybe the best fighter on the planet. Mental take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

No arguments with the ref. He has to make an instant decision. He got it wrong but that happens. Yes Dubois if he was any good should have finished him off.

Usyk is a class boxer but really is only a cruiserweight. Fury would take boxing out of his head permanently if they ever fight.

I could see Usyk retiring either way when he fights Fury. He’s definitely the underdog but he’s as likely as anyone to cause Fury problems. Fury is brilliant at keeping big men away who are slower than him. I think he throws enough jabs to keep Usyk busy but Usyk will get through and he throws a huge jab and is deadly accurate. Fury has had bigger problems with smaller fighters albeit back in the day when he was nowhere nearly as good himself. Whatever about the outcome of the potential fight I really, really wanna see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭newhouse87

people are totally disregarding that the ref told usyk to take his time. The champ that usyk is would have got up if he had to. People just wiling the underdog to win here and ignoring the fact dubois was totally outclassed. The way usyk acted after the shot was man hit in the groin, we have all been winded and you dont be breathing like that when winded.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

Agreed. But even a young Fury changed tactics against Cunningham - put his head on Cunningham's chest, went to war, and knocked him out. That's beyond most other fighters in the division. Figuring an opponent out in the middle of a fight and fighting a different way. Fury can fight at range, stalk, and go to war. I don't see anyone else like that at heavyweight. Apart from Uysk to an extent but Fury's just so big and clever...

Checked their 13/13 KOs. All the pedigree in amateurs and is huge. Will be very interesting to see him step up in levels. He’d gobble up some of the British level guys and that gives him some exposure. I think he could get it hard to get fights. Who should he be put in with next? He’s 29 so should theoretically be ready

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

YEah he was definitely in body shock for a good while after it. No way was he getting up. And if he did get up he would not have been able to stand up straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement

Emmm yea to an extent I agree there. His change of tactics was quite crude, basic and obvious but he got the win yea. I think plenty of them beat the ilk of Cunningham. He was lucky it was him and not a bigger guy.

Yea Fury can do it all and he is clever, maybe not as cute as Usyk but cute enough not to follow like Dubois or Chisora would. Usyk has the advantage of speed. The referee is crucial here too and I think he allows a lot of what Fury will want to do. I dont really think Fury will go after Usyk to the body all that much. He uses the long reach and movement, leaning, mauling and rotten on the inside. But then it;s so hard to cut the ring off with Usyk. After all of that he is one hard nut too. When he was flat footed against Dubois he had much more fight in him.

You see that being made? If Joe loses again maybe. If he wins he’ll be shouting about belts. Would be a great watch. Around Feb time.

Even though usyks shorts bit high, its still below naval which is illegal. The cup being pushed up with force would cause serious pain too. Doesn't have to hit him in the balls to be low blow.

Dubois shorts were above naval at times too.

Joe probably thinks there are levels to this game and would ask Jalolov to prove himself first.

In your opinion he got it “wrong.” Not in his professional capacity, and not in plenty other people’s opinion. He got it right for me.

Froch among many others think it was low blow. People think it has to hit him in the balls to be low blow and to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You have still pictures showing the glove lower down than the videos show. How does that happen? 😁

Some people suggesting people like the underdog. He's a Brit FFS, nobody is shouting for a Brit over a man from a country that's been torn apart by Russia.

The punch was right on the belt, hitting the belt is not a low blow. Below the belt is a low blow.

• Advertisement

“He’s a Brit FFS?”

I’ve shouted for Brits. Why bring in any boxers nationality here? It’s two men boxing is all I try to see…

not all Irish people are that shallow and petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

I’ve google hard for the rules. All I can find is a punch below the waist is not allowed. There is no definition on what is considered the waist though.

Dubois connected below the belly button from what I can see.

Is that considered above, below or on the waist?

Again, either way Dubois wasnt good enough to create it again or to get an advantage. At no time in the fight was he looking likely. Usyk was very careless leaving himself that open for the shot. If hed taken it higher it was putting him down at least. Dubois is bound to be very disappointed with himself today. He’s lucky the low blow is taking all the heat off him taking the knee (possibly twice) and accepting being counted out. There was no injury this time, he was tired surely but was able to continue. In the 8th round nothing that heavy hit him and he was having a decent round. In the 9th Usyk found a home every time with the right hand and the referee asked Dubois early if he was ok. I wonder is the sight in that left eye weakened. That would be a pity. He did beat the count and I thought the referee a tad hasty in waving it off but Dubois really didn’t want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Felt to me like Dubois got sick of eating jabs and gave up, he felt himself tiring and knew he was in the Usyk rounds (7-12).

At 25 he still has a plenty of time on his side, could mature into a beast of a fighter but 2 quit jobs is a bad sign. He’s done well to get this far so early in his career as well though, Usyk wasn’t even pro at his age.

English boxing rules - The belt line can be described as a line from the navel to the top of the hips and must not cover the navel.

British board of boxing control - The “belt” is defined as an imaginary line drawn across the body from the top of the hip bones. (The top of the hip is well below the belly button.)

And yet you'd often hear American refs say anything on the belt is illegal. But I don't think that's standard. Plenty of Americans saying it wasn't a low blow and plenty saying it was...

Froch hates Warren - can't be objective here. In fact, the whole of English boxing is factional. Hard to find an objective voice.

Yea Usyk broke his will. But the killer is that he didn’t take enough risks. He swung a couple of wild ones in 8 and 9 and he was a bit disorientated. But until then he danced to Usyk’s tune.

He does have some tools. After Manny Steward Wlad changed radically if something similar were to happen who knows for Dubois. They were talking about the division coming back to him in time but he looks much more beatable now than before Joyce, I think many of the young guns would fancy him now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

im not sure if don Charles is the right man for him, it’s a shame he left Shane mcguigan he seems to do well with boxers and once they leave they deteriorate

shane said he needs a father figure around him as well as a coach

The internet isn’t for everyone

Who has deteriorated? Groves, Frampton, Haye, Campbell? A lot of them were on the way down or not that good anyway by then. I can’t make up my mind on him. The McGuigans have form for dirty law suits that’s something I dont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am saying it matter of factly that dodgy decisions happen in boxing , of course I can't say definitively this was one of them, but it would not surprise me if it was. There is huge money on the table for Usyk and Fury in Saudis Arabia. The Saudis won't want their sport washing project to be ruined. Dubois winning might have put a spanner in the works for that to happen. I agree Dubois is a poor heavyweight, and as a consequence would probably not be a champion for long in any case, but it's a shame if the ref was corrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I can only remember the frampton case regarding Barry and his contract, have they had many more ?

lawrence okolie was the last fighter to move on and fall apart, it’s strange how Daniel dubois left but his sister stayed

The internet isn’t for everyone

Advertisement