Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,124 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Will you stop with the spoofing.

For someone who supposedly reads all those EPA reports you certainly are very selective in what you read.

The EPA clearly stated last year that 7.5 million litres of raw sewage from urban areas are dumped untreated daily into Irish rivers and seas.

But that`s all right it seems by you seeing as it`s urban and not rural.

What are you actually doing posting on this thread.

This is a thread titled "Green" policies are destroying this country, and all you are posting are anti-rural/anti-agriculture posts where you know even less about green policy, (which you cannot answer a single question you are asked on) than you do about rural communities or Irish agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

How many climate related NGO's are there in Ireland?

How much taxpayer money do they receive?

Has there been a full audit of all their accounts?

Can we really call their analysis objective if they directly financially benefit from a one sided narrative?

Always follow the money.

It's mad stuff altogether. They have insane demands too

• Clean air
    • Clean water
    • Biodiversity
    • Expanded PT/AT investment
    • Safer streets for AT and so on

I blame the lizard people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

You can add a few more to that list:

• No more roads (think of the carbon emissions)
    • No more house building (think of the carbon emissions)
    • No more travel (think of the carbon emissions)
    • No more meat (think of the carbon emissions)

And a lot more funding for them to come to their predetermined conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That may be among their mission statements, but really they are only there to feather nests and empire build, among the cohort of Seanad voters and D4 chicken dinner eaters.

The first NGO to get the axe under any Government of mine, would be An Taisce. At least, they would lose all exchequer income.

Ah those are the lizard people's objectives I think

At least I haven't seen any NGO's listing those objectives but maybe you have some source material that says otherwise perhaps?

A good place to make a start.

2020 An Taisce recieved almost €3 million of Irish taxpayers money. On top of that they also recieved €190,000 from Irish Water and €145,000 from local authorities as well as the SEAI, Rethink Ireland, and the EPA among others, but you won`t see them declaring that in their reports.

For a poster here that had no answer as to why An Taisce were highlighting rural septic tanks and could not answer why they were ignoring urban treatment plants, their failings and those of the state utility responsible, following the money might have been a much better path than his misconcieved anti-rural rant.

Another one for you to post without fully understanding what it said in our rush to blame agriculture for all the woes of the world.

Look though your own link and click on the highlighted Uisce Eireann link and see what it says.

You seem to believe that wiping out agriculture and rural communities wll solve all problems. Have you given any consideration to what you will have to eat if that ever happened, or do you somehow believe Eamon Ryan`s salad window boxes will be sufficient ?

• Advertisement

Certainly don't depend on Irish farmers to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Again I ask what proof have you got to make such a claim?

It's like talking to Trump supporters they are blind to any evidence produced as are the people here I have linked to various reports which clearly show agriculture is the primary cause of river and lake pollution

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭Shoog

So your going to ignore the EPA stating that agricultural runoffs are the primary cause of water pollution. If your contention that urban sewage is the primary cause were true we would expect the worst water quality to be around the cities - where as the reality is that the worst water quality indicators track the areas of intensive dairy and beef agriculture - with the worst been clustered around the golden vale and midlands.

Not suit your ant- green narrative ?

As to your claim that we would starve if agriculture stopped polluting our waterways, we do not do agriculture in Ireland to feed the Irish - we do it for export earnings. No one would starve if farmers stopped polluting our waterway and correctly managed, no farmer need suffer.

Why do you imagine that millions of urban Irish should pay for a few hundred thousand farmers to pollute ? Here is my point, I am not remotely against responsible farming in Ireland - just the overstocked polluting type. Let me also state that it was the current FF/FG government who pushed farmers into been polluters by creating expansion targets and incentives - so that is where the primary blame lies.

The greens maybe your whipping boys - but the problems are real and were not created by the greens - they were created by the FF & FG duopoly which has set agricultural agendas since the foundation of the state.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭eire23

Anyone arguing on this thread for agriculture and rural Ireland, fair play for fighting your corner but these "greens" will just keep coming back with the same old biased facts against agriculture and not listen to any sensible discussion....remember never wrestle with a pig because you'll both get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Nice broad generalisations there "pay for a few hundred thousand farmers to pollute". It is a crime to release effluents into our waterways and each is investigated to the fullest degree, with charges brought against the one or two who are responsible. I've yet to see a single charge levied against the county councils and other authorities for overspill from their bailiwick. There's plenty of small factories and other businesses in the worst offending regions too that could equally be responsible, but there's sadly a handful of careless farms letting hundreds of thousands down.

The once common event of farmers directly discharging into rivers is largely a thing of the past since it is monitored as you correctly point out. That is not the issue with farms - the issues is that which the current crisis of the Nitrates directive is blowing up over - runoff from normal agricultural practices which inevitably gets into waterways and cause eutrophication and a decline in biodiversity. Overstocking is the issue and there seems to be no way to manage the issue and maintaining current stocking rates. That's what the best available evidence points to and that is what the EU is pressing for to be addressed.

As I and others have repeatedly stated - the urban discharge of municiple sewage pales in scale compared to the normal agricultural discharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Have to pull you up here

where as the reality is that the worst water quality indicators track the areas of intensive dairy and beef agriculture - with the worst been clustered around the golden vale and midlands.

The worst water in the country is around Dublin, Kildare and Louth. Primarily these locations are heavily populated and the main farming enterprises are horticulture and tillage.

Cork fared well when it came to the quality of its rivers, the data show. Along with Wicklow and Leitrim, Cork had the highest proportion of river water bodies in good ecological condition. In contrast, Louth, Dublin, and Kildare were the counties with the lowest proportion

Cork has the most intensive dairy in the country, along with the most cows. Yet the waters of Cork are the cleanest in the country.

From the same article - firmly pointing the finger at agriculture

"The EPA has said the upcoming River Basin Management Plan must address water quality issues. It said in June that fertilisers and manure had exacerbated nitrogen and phosphorus levels in the country's rivers and lakes last year.

Nitrogen levels in rivers and groundwater increased overall between 2021 and 2022, the EPA said. It added nitrogen was too high in 40% of river sites and in 20% of estuarine and coastal water bodies. In addition, it said, phosphorus levels were too high in 28% of rivers and 36% of lakes."

• Advertisement

Hopefully this will come to pass. Camera enforcement is vital if the gains from bus connects and cycle network provisions are to be fully realised

Are you insinuating that agriculture is the only sector to use fertilisers and herbicides? Why then does the EPA call out agriculture AND wastewater? Most farmers I've encountered are hyper cognisant of the repercussions of unintended emissions whereas I've seen plenty of other sectors spraying weeds or fertilising their lawns just before heavy rain is forecast. It's not beyond the laws of physics that some of this inevitably ends up in our waterways.

For once I actually agree with you. I rarely drive but don't use public transport much either - almost everything I need to do is within walking distance, but those who abuse the bus lanes are amongst the most dangerous drivers around. They travel at speed and often a little to close to pedestrians on the footpath. Plus it's got to be frustrating for all other traffic types seeing these jumping the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Everything in walking distance? Yikes, Klaus Schwab has trapped you in a 15 minute city! The horror!

I never said it wasn't agriculture.

Question though for you. Fertiliser usage in Ireland has reduced 14% in 2022. P is down 26% on 2021. How long do you think it will be until the water reflects this?

There has been an increase in fertiliser usage since milk quotas ended in 2015, yet only one year (2018) used more fertiliser than was used in 2000! Has anyone got any information on river water quality from 2000 and has the water quality improved over the 20 odd years in conjunction with the yearly fall in fertiliser usage?

What I mean to say is, if fertiliser is the primary cause, you'd expect to see water quality roughly improve as fertiliser goes down and get worse where fertiliser usage goes up, albeit with a lag to allow for N and P to leach into the watercourses.

I really don't see the point in this never ending thread at this stage. Do you really think you're all going to convince each other you're right?

Water quality is deteriorating nationwide due to agriculture and human activity, that's a fact, Co2 emissions continue to rise and will continue to rise, no one has any real interest in giving up their quality of life in any way to reduce emissions. We'll keep going as is until it becomes harder and harder to produce food, millions and millions will become displaced, fascism will rise due to never ending streams of climate refugees, wars will kick off over resources... I can't see any other way this could possibly pan out.

I've medical dependency issues that prevent me from going anywhere. I wouldn't wish this captivity on anyone and I'm definitely not a model case for 15 minute nonsense. This is a grim existence.

The agri sector weirdly getting some special treatment by the EPA in an information release. The group "Right 2 Know" look like they have to go to the High Court to get them to release the redacted info. Its a weird one because the listed businesses info is already available on the EPA site just not tied to the water usage figures

A REGISTER CONTAINING information on industries abstracting intensive volumes of water from rivers and lakes across the country has been published for the first time.

However, information on almost 150 farming businesses pumping or diverting water has been redacted in the document.

Having everything in walking distance is how I've always liked to live anyway, sorry to hear of your struggles though

• Advertisement

Wasn't there something done in the EU lately to not include some agri enterprises in the IED? Maybe related to that. Or that farming isn't classed as "industry". Dunno but it is a strange one.

Any of the people taking the court case who are anti meat/dairy could be in for a big shock here when they see that many farms that are using massive amounts of water are primarily going to be horticulture related using it for irrigation. Not saying here that animal agriculture aren't extracting water too. Of course they are, primarily I'd imagine for animals to drink.

Advertisement