Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'd imagine they will either get a new lab or a retrofit of the current one to prevent any issues. It's not going to scupper the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How the hell after hundreds of millions spent on reports, studies, consultations could this issue with TCD and OPW only be arising now?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

oh that's easy - there never was any metro ever. Once the consultants get paid who cares.

I eagerly await the MetroSPEED launch in 10 years with more CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It isn't only being raised now.

The Metrolink team published the Trinity College Dublin Direct Current and Near Direct Current Electromagnetic Radiation Survey Report in April 2019.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Really? Then Trinity's objection is just hot air. Probably looking for compo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know it's probably way too early for them to start planning, but i'm curious how they'd intend to manage traffic on the R108 (i.e. ballymun road) during construction. from what i understand, at least one of the stations will be half under ballymun road, so would presumably close the southbound side of the road? the northbound side might be then just used for public transport and access?

there are a couple of schools along that road too...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Who cares? I'm sure bus services will be maintained throughout

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

The new E1 service should be running from Northwood, so I suspect they may divert it to use the Santry Avenue gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Very interesting McWilliams podcast this episode regarding cost comparisons between metro lines in different countries around the world.

Listen from 20.20 mins onwards.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Bsharp

Further market consultation to be held for the M500 PPP contract according to the PIN so a date for tender commencement could be a while away yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Time - limit for receipt of proposals: 11/09/2024 12:00

So yeah, actual tender definitely a while away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I know it's probably been said already but the Metro should really continue NE to Donabate and interchange with the rail line.

Also it should go to Sandyford either via the Green Line or a new route via UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭prunudo

My understanding from posts on here before, is that the current route was most advanced so was better to progress that one, rather than delaying the whole project by adding extra complications. Thats not to say your suggestions won't progress through consultation even while the current project is being constructed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Going slightly off topic....

From latest NTA documents, looking like the solution to getting Metro South done is to build a luas from Adelaide Road to Donnybrook to UCD to Sandyford. Then when you close Ranelagh-Sandyford for conversion to Metro, people can use the other luas line. The final configuration would be Luas Green from Broombridge-Adelaide Road-Donnybrook-Sandyford-Cherrywood and Metro from Swords-Sandyford.

This has the added benefit that with a Metro South upgrade, you don't end up with a disconnected luas from Sandyford-Cherrywood.

so a parallel luas green line in between the green line and a dart line plus a QBC radial route in that area?

Do they need an airport aswell?

How about a monorail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Guessing the idea is it kills the need for the QBC so it frees up capacity for the rest of the network.

At the moment we can't staff existing bus lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

This is the GDA transport strategy which is of course fictional

It's a good idea. Donnybrook is a bit of a pinch point though. It also doesn't get around objections to the Metro in Ranelagh.

People will complain that the SE has Dart, Luas and Metro and the N11 bus route is excellent.

Do you have a link to the documents?

I guess they're looking at all possible options.

I still think the best option is via the Green line even if it has to close for a year or two.

The next Metro route then should be from Poolbeg Peninsula to Tallaght. Then develop Poolbeg and the industrial estates in SW of city to high density modern apartments. That should cater for the growth of the city for years and people will be only 20 minutes from city centre.

I like the idea of Sandyford to Swords. It makes Cherrywood area more desirable too as it shortens journey to the city centre probably by 20 minutes. It also looks very modern to any visiting Microsoft executives or whomever if they can get to and from the airport in 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Is there anything to be said for moving the Metro to Drumcondra?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I agree. Hopefully those extensions are built by 2084...

ah yeah but there are other areas of Dublin that need heavy PT investment.

A parallel luas line built to facilitate an upgrade of an existing luas line so that people won’t be inconvenienced is great if the rest of Dublin wasn’t so starved of PT.

You'll sooner see a luas service on the Malahide Road imo. But still in the distant future unless there's a total reform of planning and procurement of critical infrastructure.

I had a read of the DART+W EIAR documents yesterday and was taken aback by the shear volume of documents produced for a project that is simply electrification of an existing line. The consultant is required to prepare chapters on noise, emissions, climate etc even though its a project that actively reduces noise, emissions and climate change. I think the one size fits all EIAR process is an unacceptable stumbling block, these are concerns for road projects not electrified rail.

The planning board should also only take 6 to 8 weeks to make a decision not 2 years. For critical infrastructure like this, if it takes more than 8 weeks, it should just be an automatic grant of permission to build. And the oral hearing process is a waste of time, its just people reading out their written submissions, that have already been replied to by the applicant, for an audience with added theatrics. Nonsense from start to finish.

Irish Rail applied for planning to close 4 level crossings on the Cork line in ther middle of eff off nowhere 3 years ago, still no decision.

We're now coming up on the 1.5 year anniversary of Clongriffin CBC project applying for planning, yes 2 years for a bus lane. How will we catch up to the developed world standard of infrastructure at this pace while the developed world moveson at pace? Copenhagen is now working on their 5th and 6th metro line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

A big part of the delay is a lack of planners at ABP which is compounded by a lack of planners in general. The government needs to actively promote planning as a profession and provide additional college courses to facilitate this. Otherwise we'll always be playing catch up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I believe we are going to see a lot more Luas lines around the city in future. Not necessary to the same quality and cost as the Green line, but more like the more extensive tram networks you find in other European cities.

The major issue we face at the moment is getting enough bus drivers. Unfortunately I believe this will be a long term problem due to changing demographics and not just in Ireland but all over the western world.

As a result, cities all over Europe are starting to consider projects that cost more upfront, but can be cheaper to run long term due to larger vehicles and thus less staff needed. Like metros, big trams, even automating existing systems like Copenhagen is doing with their DART equivalent S-Trains.

Maybe trixale double deckers and perhaps even double articulated bendy buses / BRT could help.

But I’ve also being thinking that maybe it makes more sense (then BRT) to start a bunch of relatively quick and cheap Luas projects around the city. Just bang tracks down on the QBC’s and get Luas in. Perhaps you could even go with battery trams to save on overhead wire costs.

It wouldn’t even necessarily be faster than a bus, just higher capacity, nothing too fancy to start with, but could be enhanced in time. A single Luas driver can carry 400 passengers, versus a bus driver carrying just 80 to 90 passengers. You need 4 to 5 times as many bus drivers for the same capacity.

So the idea of a parallel Luas line really isn’t that crazy and we could possibly see lines like this pop up on QBC’s all over the city.

Of course these issues make Metrolink even more necessary, a very high capacity fully automated core of the network will help take a lot of stress of the buses. DART+ partly too. These employee shortages may greatly improve the CBA’s for future Metro lines too.

Advertisement