Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This.

I said last week, Joe is as good as anyone they might be available if we were to dip into the market. The problem with Joe like a lot of our CBs is the system. Today when he came on, we played pretty compact and hit on the counter. The backs generally weren't left 2 v 2 with half thee pitch to cover. In a normal system like we used today, Joe is just fine, and if he was allowed bed into a system like that he would probably gain confidence and thrive.

We can't sit back and counter every week, because most teams will not take the ball and attack us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I couldn't see it properly on the highlights on my phone, replay weren't great on the stream but he looked like he got the ball first from what I could see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

He went through Isaak and then touched the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's telling how compact we can be with ten men, when the mindset is altered to one of a defense unit, then take our chances when we get them. We should be more like that with 11 men, more controlling, knowing if we keep it tight, someone up front will score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Didn't see the red card properly either, but I don't think we'll appeal it anyway. Red card seemed a bit harsh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It was 100% a red card.

As long as it's consistently applied across the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Definitely won't appeal. I also think it was little harsh. Probably about right. Either way, no chance of that getting overturned. Hopefully there's no extension to the ban for whatever was said to the ref and 4th official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've a feelinig they won't ignore his reaction. Depends on the referee's report?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The entire Newcastle team and coaching staff surrounded the ref begging for a second yellow for Trent, have they already given up on that rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Joe was decent yesterday and deserves credit but I don't think it changes what we've seen the last number of years tbh.

We need another CB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

A big concern over nunez is the fact he still can't speak a word of English after a year of learning,what's that about,he needs to get that sorted really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

IF that is the case it is a worry, but I wonder...

Wasn't it Bobby who looked the same, had the interpreter for a long Tom but could speak tge language, just wasn't comfortable doing the interviews, and I wouldn't blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Yea maybe so,tbf it's tough to speak on live tv so maybe he just doesn't have confidence yet,although when asked to say something in English at the end he just thank you and what sounded like por favour

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This was a big result. Nunez getting two late goals was great, he really needed a performance like that. First finish especially was a cracker. The big thing for him now will be to follow it up with more performances of similar standard, and not revert back to missing sitters and making bad decisions.

While it was a great result, we shouldn't get sucked into recency bias, or think that this proves that we don't have major issues.

Obviously, we can beat anyone, and yesterday showed we will not give up when we're still in the game. Mentally we seem strong. However, yesterday also showed that our defensive frailties and midfield problems are very much real.

Their goal was shambolic and doesn't need much explanation. The red card for VVD came once again from a team being able to just pass through us with no effort required at all. Gordon got the ball, came inside against TAA (Gordon had TAA on toast all day), and was completely free to make a through ball. Midfield nowhere to be seen, defence playing a high line but with no protection, so they end up having to scramble and VVD makes a crap decision.

We coughed up far too many chances, if Newcastle had a good goalscorer we'd have lost 3 or 4 yesterday. We rely on Alison making incredible saves, and also huge strokes of luck.

I don't see how you can use yesterday as evidence that we're going to be there or there abouts at the business end of the season, yesterday was like watching last season on repeat. It was the exact same issues.

I thought Szoboszlai was great, put in a huge shift. I wasn't mad on Endo, he gets done too easily, he's slow to recover, and he wanders. At one point in the second half he was up by their penalty box and got skinned, and they had a counter attack off the back of it. Gomez was solid when he came on, I was impressed with Quansah, TAA was an empty shirt, the early booking just took him out of the game and as I already said, he couldn't get near Gordon for the rest of the game. Alison is the main reason we won the game, without him we'd have certainly been beaten.

Can't really judge Salah or Gakpo, as when Diaz went off we just struggled to keep the ball up their end of the field.

Is our press dead? We definitely seem to have lost the tempo and energy required to press teams like we used to, and it's contributing to us being caught out. Obviously hard to press with 10 men, but it's not just yesterday that I've noticed this.

Yea, huge credit for digging out the win, those 3 points will hopefully be big come May, but the problems with our team are still totally obvious, teams do not have to work hard to create chances against us.

Finally, Tonali for 70million is a bargain for them IMO, Serie A players are always a bit of a risk but he's absolutely class. A player like that would completely transform us. Still just blindly hoping the club will pull a rabbit out of the hat before the window closes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'd expect he can talk football in English to an acceptable standard, but not nonsense Sky interview cliched English.

"Things were bleak early doors Darwin, but you got the nod from the boss and popped up late with a brace. Over the moon?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

There was a great moment when Nunez was celebrating the second goal in front of the geordies and someone in the crowd was obviously giving him some stick, he just winked and blew them a kiss. Classy response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Im so happy the team made me eat my words - midway through the first half it looked like we had no chance..

Some tv people comparing it to the Barca comeback, steady there now - that night was epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are you sure he can't speak English? There's a big difference in communicating between the squad and doing an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Whats everyone's take on Robertson? ive a feeling he might be on a slippery slope like fab , just not looking at all good this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

You could be right but in fairness to him he can't play LCB role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

He's certainly not the player he once was. He's doing OK defensively but has lost all creativity and ability going forward. His athleticism seems to be waning. For now, he's a concern but far from a problem. A competent CB or DM should help him stabilise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The batteries are eventually going to drain on Robertson, no player can keep up that intensity, he has ran himself into the ground up and down that left wing for 6 seasons. What a player though, probably my favorite of the Klopp era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm sure he can speak it. I remember Pochettino had an interpreter for interviews but he could speak English. They ask absolute nonsense in them Sky interviews anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

i don't care if he ever speaks a word of English again as long as he keeps banging them in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

On first impression, i thought the keeper had been a bit poor, but it was a hell of a strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great result and should give the squad a huge morale boost, yesterday could have very easily gone horribly wrong so absolutely fantastic to get the 3 points.

I hope the result and feelgood affect of yesterday isn't going to be used to paper over the cracks, the squad still needs at least a defender and midfielder to be added to give us a chance to compete, not doing so would be gross negligence imo. Yesterday was the biggest smash & grab by Liverpool that I can remember, we're not going to be able to repeat that continually. Hopefully this will ignite Nunez's Liverpool career, has done OK so far, but, does need to kick on this season. Great to get back to back wins when down to 10 men, doubt that has happened often, so shows that morale and resolve within the squad is good, which is a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

The window closes on Friday, we might get another Endo style stop gap signing but I can't see there being a signing that will improve the first 11 or even the subs bench at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

We need to build on this momentum. Great result yesterday but as most have said Newcastle should really have been out of sight, the fact they lost says more about them than it does about us IMO. Great mentality from us and we did keep going for it particularly when Jota, Nunez and Elliot came on there seemed to be a push to press again. 7 points from our first 3 games considering the oppositon is unbelievable.

We need another midfielder and a CB fairly urgently and i think we'll be ok. If we get two decent players in i'd back us to get top 4, if we dont i cant see it especially the way they are dishing out yellow cards this season not to mention our old friend injuries. Our first 11 is good the problem is the minute any of the starting defenders or midfielders are missing we are in trouble. We at least have cover in the forward line at the moment.

As for Endo based on the small sample size i think he's exactly what we thought he was - a decent squad player. I dont think he's a good enough 6 for a team challeging for the league we need someone else in there. Would Endo get into any of the other "big 6" teams midfields? I thought he was tidy enough yesterday but seemed weirdly slow or something maybe off the pace of the league. Obviously he's only getting used to the team and systems so maybe thats to be expected. I'm not writing him off but its clear we need another defensively minded midfielder and a CB ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Please buy some players.

call me crazy but we could and should have beaten Chelsea too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Chelsea came too early, first game of the season after a crazy summer and people didnt wanna **** up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It was incredible how much of a breeze the rest of the game was for Trent once VVD was sent off, and once Trents wings were clipped, he walked the game. So it's difficult to understand why, with 11 men, when Gordon was giving him such a hard time, that Trent gave him so much time and space, or is it someone else's fault, for not filling in for Trent, is Endo not cleaning up the space, or Klopps fault for burdening Trent with two roles, and expects him to do both without fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Also, we didnt win an away game until November last season. Nice to see we got our first one out the door so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Can't really judge Endo yet, he has played more time with us down to ten than with eleven on the field, but, I think you are right that he's a good squad player, really a replacement for Milner who'll be able to cover a few positions once we get someone for the DM role. He's a stopgap DM, hopefully he'll be adequate for this time being, and we get a DM in by January at the latest, can't see us signing one before Friday, we should but doubt we will.

7 from 9 with a couple very tough fixtures is an amazing start, considering how we've performed in those 3 games we can count ourselves lucky.

You'd still hope big changes are made between now and next weekend to sort out the team, whether that means new transfers or new tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Within the first 30 minutes maybe, Chelsea were the better team for most of the game.

Trent rarely completes a single defensive responsibility satisfactorily so don't think it's anything to do with being given too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

More likely that Nunez speaks Portuguese from his time at Benfica.

Very important thing to talk about, I know...

I think you must have been watching a different game Toby, Gordon roasted Trent for the rest of the game. Got past him every time and put a few dangerous crosses in, Newcastle should have scored a few directly from them.

A point I forgot to make in my earlier post, and on the subject of new signings.

Yesterday we saw the same midfield problems that ruined our season last year. What is very concerning here is this is still happening with 3 new midfielders, nobody in our starting midfield was at the club last year. This also can't be put down to players being in the twilight of their careers.

Yes, we desperately need to sign a high quality DM, but to me it's also obvious that there is a systemic issue that makes us very easy to play through. As mentioned before, our press is gone.

I don't know what exactly the coaches have been working on this summer but making us tougher to play against has obviously not been it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

What problems were you seeing? Newcastle didn't threaten that much when we were down to 10 men, especially when you consider a lot of posters here were not giving us a chance of a point. They scored their goal from a mistake and while Alisson made the most saves in his career in this match, he only had to make one really great save. If they had scored from any of the chances other than that Almiron shot, we would have been saying he should have saved them. But that is a Newcastle problem really.

As for our midfield, for the first match we had a 8/10 playing as a 6 and then when we had someone more in the 6 mould, he got to play with 11 men for only 25 minutes in 120 minutes. Will Endo be a world beater that will walk into City or Real Madrid's team? No, but will he be serve us well and make us competitive? That is all that matters. This crap about how he would not walk into another team, that is the same rubbish people we saying about Gini and Henderson while we were scoring 97 and 99 points in the season.

• Advertisement

Another stat I've seen going around today:

Yesterday Guimaraes and Joelinton each committed 4 fouls and neither player got booked.

In the entirety of last season there was only 1 instance of a Liverpool player committing 4+ fouls and not receiving a yellow card (Diaz vs Leicester)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

4 fouls, automatic yellow should be easy for a fourth official to keep track of

I have no idea how you can say Newcastle didn't threaten that much, they threatened numerous times and any attack down our right especially was panic stations. They created chances with ease, no effort required at all. They should have scored more than 1 goal, the fact they didn't score more was down to their own ineptitude in front of goal rather than anything we were doing. Almiron skied a free shot on goal. He was also able to carry the ball for quite a distance unchallenged before hitting the post. Alison pulled off an incredible save to deny him another.

I also don't really know why you only focus on us playing with 10. We played for 28 mins with 11, and again, they still cut through us with ease.

We are an easy team to create chances against. Just like last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

4 fouls that were awarded a free, but they committed many multiples of offences that weren't deemed worthy of a whistle.

All the tension started because the referee saw nothing wrong with the most blatant shove in the back you'll ever see

• Advertisement
Advertisement