Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ah yes, that makes sense. I'd forgotten there's various options on the Garmin to choose how the GPS works. It's all coming back to me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Haha it just bugs me that he always looks like he has ran further than me😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yeah it's an interesting one to me also but I am still without an answer and would need to up my record keeping to get to the bottom of it 🤣

The reason I say this is twofold. Firstly, I have used 2 different watches over the past few months after Garmin replaced my original. Secondly, I am a tinkerer and regularly change the GPS/ Satellite settings on the watches. Possibly, by coincidence, I have been on the least accurate setting whenever I run with E 🤔 I'd need to track which settings I use for each run in future to try to get further clarity.

Mon 24th - Rest

Tues 25th - 1 hr easy - 10.35kms - 5:53km avg - 1hr

A lovely sunny plod, made a lovely change to the rain!

Wed 26th Wu,7*800@4:30,800@Steady - 15.53kms - 5:53km avg - 1Hr 16m

Reps 3:34,3:58,3:34,3:58,3:32,3:58,3:33,3:58,3:33,3:57,3:34,3:58,3:36,3:57

Set out for this after work in the rain, ha the sun didn't last long! Wanted these to be as consistent as I could get them. Set off on the 1st faster rep & went a bit too fast so dialed it back a bit. Once I locked into a comfortable pace I was happy, the steady pace then felt very comfortable & like last week the faster reps just seemed to flow really well concentrating again on my form. Couldn't believe how quickly this session went by in comparison to my easy run yesterday! Realised a bit later on that I passed 2,000 kms for the year happy days!

Sad news came in later in the evening that Sinéad O'Connor passed away. Such a talented lady with an amazing voice but such a tormented soul, hopefully she's at peace now.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam💛

• Advertisement

Thurs 27th - EIM 10*400's - 11.13kms - 5:29km avg - 1hr 1min

Was off for the morning so set off for this after a very successful app for my son. Passed by a lot of morning walkers on the loop which was great to see, lots of smiles. On the start of my C/D an older lady stopped me & told me she used to run like me, said she sees me all the time & loves it. I love listening to people being nostalgic, you can see a sparkle in their eyes as they recall memories, she wished me well & said she'll cheer me on anytime she sees me.

The reps came in at 1:39,1:39,1:38,1:38,1:39,1:40,1:39,1:38,1:39,1:38

Fri 28th - EIM 15*200'S - 8.95kms - 5:29km avg - 49mins

Out for this at lunchtime as I was heading out with the job. Again the reps went by so quickly, felt light 7on my feet & quite zippy.

The reps came in at 45,45t,45,44,45,44,44,46,44,44

Sat 29th - 1 Steady with wu & cd - 15.49kms - 5:04km avg - 1hr 18mins

This was a bit later in the day as I enjoyed a lie on after the night before! Decided to do this on the loop I usually do my 1k reps on. Felt good after the wu despite there being a strong enough headwind. Settled into a lovely rhythm and it just clicked for me. I felt very comfortable which nice. Finished it off with a loop in the park I do my 200 & 400 feeling good.

Sun 30th -Sunday long run - 29kms - 5:30km avg - 2hr 39mins

Another meet up with the IMRA gang, knew Sonia might make an appearance but wasn't 100% sure. Arrived & parked up & was thrilled to see everyone & Sonia of course. Jarlath informed S we were running about 5:50km pace to which she raised an eyebrow then he told her the route which is mainly on the road & she said no way, she wanted to do mainly trails! We set off from the zoo, some running on the road & some on the grass. I joined Sonia on the trails just before the HITW & 2 other lads, we were going faster than the others but a very comfortable pace. As we got to the Furry Glen Sonia asked me to guide her on the trails as much as possible so I did, at this stage there was just 3 of us. We had some lovely chats, a very down to earth lovely woman. Asked me lots about my training & told me about some of her own training struggles recently. She gave me some tips & just general advice, always appreciated. She was only doing 10km so the whole gang stopped to say good bye, J slagged her saying he couldn't keep up to which she replied, sure that was Elaine's fault she told me we were running 5:15 pace! Off we went then for lap 2 to which I ended up chatting to a lovely former boardsie, great chats again which made the 2nd lap fly. I continued on my own for another 6km, overall very happy with how it all went.

Meeting Sonia was a dream come true for me, such an inspiration to me growing up & what made it extra special was that I really should have met her the morning after I lost my da, it's so fitting I eventually met her just before his anniversary. The reason I wasn't drinking at my brothers birthday was because I was getting to run with them all so I wanted to have a good head on me. My da even went around telling his pals I was racing her(Sonia laughed when I told her) I do think it was all meant to be, I wouldn't have been the one to find him if I had been drinking, it would have been my poor mam, so I am always very grateful for that plus it meant I was the very last person to hold my da💛

Miles for the week - 90.5km (56.1mi)

Miles for the year so far - 2,067km (1,284.4mi)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That's a gorgeous photo, ye have the same freckles 😀. She is so lovely isn't she? I've been lucky enough to meet her twice, she did her 100th parkrun at Cabinteely a few years ago and earlier this year she coached Sanctuary Runners first marathon training session at the Mardyke. I was still enviously looking at all the IMRA whatsapp chat with major FOMO!!! Sounds like it really was meant to be and I'm sure your da was saying to everyone, there's my daughter running with Sonia ❤️.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lovely photo @Laineyfrecks and fab experience for you 🤗

Thanks ladies it was lovely. aw A your last line made me cry & smile😊 A lovely woman she is indeed, lovely that you got to meet her a couple of times too!Haha the same freckles, love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What a great morning for you, iovely pic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Such a lovely pic and a lovely running experience for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's a great photo and lovely experience to have. I also love the nugget about the older lady telling you she used to run and how she gets a kick out of seeing you running. It's a bit random, but I do love how running has something for everyone and means different things to different people.

Aw A I'm a big softie at the best of times but you could just see the happiness in her eyes & smile when she talked about it. I have always loved listening to my das stories & my mam talking about the old days, I think as you get older you have more time to listen & appreciate how nice it is to just let them tell their stories🤗 I love it too listening to people talk about their running, so many random reasons people may have begun & fallen in love with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great photo and a great experience! I was lucky enough to get to do something similar down here in Kerry with a group and Sonia back in the summer of 2021 and it was just great getting to chat and run with her. At the end when we were all going our separate ways I was just thanking her saying that this is just another run for her but we'll talk about it for the rest of our lives. The IMRA podcast is a weekly highlight on my playlist as I really love how open and accessible she is through platforms like that, for me it just increases her greatness in her form of giving back.

Yeah very true I will always remember this! I love the podcast too, I think Sonia & Jarlath bounce of each other really well & like you I think it's very generous of her giving back to the running community in this way as she is a busy woman, just shows what a kind woman she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Brilliant stuff. Some fantastic log entries recently.

Aw thank you so much, a lot of ramblings & waffle but glad some people read it😊

I miss reading your log, I hope you are good & the training is going well? Did you try the EIM stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Haven't been checking in as often this year but I'm reminded to every now andjust again.

Been following EIM for the year so far, adding in my own anaerobic stuff for middle distance. Suffering a little with PF but it was worse a couple of months ago. Not as bad just now. Managed to equal my 1500 PB from last year but unfortunately can't run the National Masters due to a wedding clash. Longer distance PBs have all come down though so I've no complaints with the method so will stick with what I've been doing till the end of the year at least.

Good stuff with the training, Sorry to hear the PF has been at you. Well done on matching the 1500 PB & on getting PBs in the longer distances. Good to hear from you also, take care😊

• Advertisement

Mon 31st - Rest

Tues 1st Aug -Steady progression run - 30mins@5:16, 30@5:05, 30@4:50 - 18.04kms - 5:01km avg - 1hr 30min

Set out for this after work, settled into each 30min block nicely.

Weds 2nd - EIM 10*400's - 11.01kms - 5:26km avg - 59min

Another after work run, again nice & consistent with the efforts.

The reps came in at 1:38,1:39,1:38,1:39,1:39,1:38,1:39,1:37,1:38,1:39

Thurs 3rd - 90mins Steady - 18.87kms - 4:54km avg - 1hr 32min

Was on a half day so decided to head out to the PP for this. Parked up for this then set off towards the Furze/OS triangle. Settled into a nice steady pace early on. Thankfully the weather wasn't too bad. I kept the efforts consistent & worked on keeping my form good especially towards the end of the run & it really helped focusing on it. Enjoyed the run.

Fri 4th - EIM 15*200'S - 8.96kms - 5:35km avg - 49mins

Off work so managed to head out at lunchtime. Nothing much to note on this run.

The reps came in at 45,45,45,45,45,45,44,45,44,44,45,44,45,44,44

Sat 5th - 8km easy, 8*800@MP,800@Steady, 8km easy - 29kms - 5:12km avg - 2hr 31mins

Got up early to the horrible sound of the wind & the rain. The house also felt a bit chilly, not ideal knowing you are heading out for a long run! Set off for the PP, decided to just wear my tshirt, shorts & cap even though I had brought a rain jacket but knew I'd only end up too warm. There were a fair few people out running so I didn't feel too crazy! I brought 2 gels with me in my belt & some water in a soft flask. I built this up in my head that I wasn't looking forward to it especially given the weather. I started off down towards the Zoo & then up the North road towards the O/S/Furze. The winds were strong enough on the North road so I felt my effort was high enough for this part, thankfully the rain wasn't too heavy. I knew once I got to the O/S i'd be kicking into the 800's, really wasn't feeling overly confident especially as my sleep the last week has been awful but decided in my head to just think about each rep I was running & not to be thinking ahead to the next like I can do at times. The watch beeped & I set off, dialled into the MP & it felt good, watch beeped again then dialled into the Steady pace, efforts were kept very honest, Chesterfield road was quite windy so I knew when to ease off a bit but still managing to stay in the pace zones. I did what I set out to do, only concentrated on the rep I was in, couldn't believe when I looked down to see I was on my last rep, it absolutely flew by. I ran the 8km easy back the way I had came, Once I got to my car I did a few stretches feeling really happy with how it went. This run has definitely given me some confidence, my training overall feels good, I feel strong & happy with how it is all going. I am also doing strength training twice a week now & feeling good for it.

Sun 6th -Sunday easy run - 11kms - 5:38km avg - 1hr 01min

Met S for this easy run, nice to have a bit of sunshine. Was out for a few drinks last night after my da's anniversary mass, a few drinks turned into a lot of drinks including some baby Guinness shots! Safe to say I was fairly hungover on this run, it actually felt longer than any of my runs this week!

Minding my grandson today whilst his mammy & daddy went to a wedding. His instructions were that we were to rest for a while, order the biggest pizza in the world & watch Big Daddy, He has watched this film a few times now & also informed us that we were now to call him Frankenstein! Thankfully that tired him out & he went to bed a happy little chappy💛

Mileage for the week - 96.9km - 60.2miles

Mileage for the year so far - 2,163.9km - 1,344.6miles

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

Mon 07th - Rest

Tues 08th -EIM 10*400's - 11.2kms - 5:36km avg - 1hr 02min

A nice afternoon run, reps came in between 1.37 to 1.39.

Weds 9th - 3k easy, 20mins@4:52, 15@4:40, 15@4:28 - 16.74kms - 5:00km avg - 1hr 23min

Wasn't too sure about this when I seen it but off I went for the 3k easy, this took me to the park I do my 400 & 200s in so off I went when the watch beeped. As advised by S these were at 95,100 & 105 percent of MP. I settled into the 1st 20mins, feeling like I was working hard enough towards the end at the pace wondering how the next 15 mins would go, watch beeped & again I settled into the pace nicely but of course as the laps went by I thought I might struggle a bit for the last 15 but it somehow just clicked & I couldn't believe how well it actually went, finished off with 3k easy feeling quite pleased with myself!

Thurs 10th - EIM 15*200'S - 9.08kms - 5:23km avg - 48mins

Nothing much to report, nice run around the park. Reps came in between 41 to 47

Fri 11th - 100mins Steady - 20.52kms - 4:53km avg - 1hr 40min

Headed out to the park straight after work, what a beautiful evening it was. Set off from the carpark down to the usual O/S, Furze loop & settled into a pace that felt quite comfortable. A few laps around & the pace & effort seemed to stay very consistent. It really felt like a good run but I did run it a bit too fast so I have taken note to be a bit more disciplined with the paces especially given where I am on my plan & with the increase in mileage etc I need to make sure nothing goes wrong!

Sat 12th - V. easy hour 10.59kms - 5:55km avg - 1hr 02mins

Got up early enough for this & a nice plod around my usual route.

Sun 13th -Sunday run @5:20/5:34 - 32.39kms - 5:21km avg - 2hr 53mins

Was meeting up with the IMRA group but knew my pace might be a bit quick, was hoping there'd be a good few as sometimes we split into 2 groups. Only 10 blokes & myself turned up. They were doing 28k @ about 5:50km so I explained what I was doing but agreed to meet them for a cuppa after. Off I went on the usual lap, lots of runners in the park which is always great to see, such a buzz about the place. The paces per km varied depending on where I was running, into the wind etc but it was very satisfying seeing the average staying around the 5:21km avg. I took 2 maurten gels & had a soft flask of water with me, thankfully no problems so I will be sticking with these. Couldn't believe it when I looked at my watch & I had less than 5km to run & I was still feeling really comfortable, it was sunny & actually a run I didn't want to finish, there's something quite magical about hitting your 1st 20mile run! I passed by @scotindublin twice with his crew, some nice friendly hellos exchanged. Got back to my car for a quick change & then met the lads at the Tea rooms for some cakes & chats. Even though I was doing over 5km longer than them felt great that we finished not far apart!

Mon 14th - Rest & Physio

Went to the physio again today for a rub down, wasn't half as bad as last time & great that he worked on my shoulders too(one side feeling a little stiff he thinks from maybe a draught) Anyway booked in for 2 weeks time, might as well spoil myself😉

Really happy to have another quality consistent week behind me.

Mileage for the week - 100.5km - 62.4miles

Mileage for the year so far -2,264.5 km - 1,407.1miles

What a great week that was, E. A lot of quality runs in there. You’re in terrific shape.

Thanks a mill D, just like yourself. There's nothing quite like Marathon training, I amaze myself each week hitting different sessions/runs & doing them well individually but every now & again I put them all together & just realise how privileged I am to be able to do this, something I love so much💛

Tues 15th -EIM 10*400's - 10.87kms - 5:29km avg - 59min

A nice afternoon run out in the PP, reps came in between 1.36 to 1.41.

Weds 16th - 3k easy, 20mins@4:52, 20@4:40, 15@4:28 - 17.89kms - 4:57km avg - 1hr 28min

Almost identical to how I was feeling last week, not sure about having to do the extra 5mins. I settled into the 1st 20mins, feeling like I was working hard enough towards the end at the pace wondering how the next 20 mins would go, watch beeped & again. The next 20 mins felt more comfortable, I had defo over thought this! The watch beeped for the faster 15 mins & again no real issues, working but feeling good. Finished off feeling that actually went better than last week.

Thurs 17th - EIM 15*200'S - 8.69kms - 5:23km avg - 46mins

Got this done at lunchtime in the carpark of Tallaght IT, was very warm but windy. Reps came in between 44 to 46

Fri 18th - 35mins each @5:15,5:05,4:50 - 21.01kms - 5:01km avg - 1hr 45min

Headed out to the park straight after work, what a beautiful evening it was. Set off from the carpark down to the usual O/S, Furze loop & settled into the 1st 35mins, felt good. Passed by Jim Aughney & his little friend who were setting up for the FD 10mile on the Furze, lot's of positive comments every time I passed by, felt like my own little cheering squad! Each 35min block seemed to transition smoothly into the next without too much hard work. Last lap around I said that's me done & they both said, seriously impressed, great running...made me smile!

Sat 19th - V. easy hour 10.67kms - 5:55km avg - 1hr 03mins

A nice afternoon plod around my usual route.

Sun 20th -8k, 8*1k@MP(4:40)/8*1k Steady(5:05), 8k - 32.10kms - 5:07km avg - 2hr 44mins

Was at a BBQ last night, made sure I had a nice bowl of pasta before heading up then mostly just picked at food. I was the life & soul of the party drinking my electrolytes & home in bed for 11, oh the life of an athlete😉 I knew I needed this run to go well, after a little talk with S I had decided (with his advice) that if it did feel a bit tough that it was ok to slow on the steady parts but best to try to keep to the MP reps. I woke feeling good, had sorted everything I needed the night before. Had brekkie & set off to the PP. The weather was lovely so I decided to go for a cropped running top, my black split shorts & my running belt for my gels & soft flask of water. I had downloaded a 90's party mix playlist too so was all geared up to get going. I parked at the zoo, 2nd car there, gathered my bits & off I went. I went down by the Zoo to the roundabout & then around to the North road etc. I wasn't feeling too anxious about this run thank god, actually a bit more buzzing knowing that if I executed it well then it would be a big one ticked off. I took 3 Maurten gels with me & decided to try them at 6k, 12k & 18k to make sure there were no ill effects. They all worked out really well, no issues taking them, not overly sweet & just a sip of water with them, happy days. Was coming up to the 1st marathon rep & I said "right Elaine, let's do this"!! Off I went, the sun was shining but there was a decent breeze too but none of it really bothered me too much thankfully. I did these on the Furze/OS loop which I have become very fond of, the KT road is dumped! I couldn't believe again how fluidly the reps were flowing into each other. Every couple of kms I reassessed my form, pulling my shoulders back, lifting my knees etc & it really helped. Some proper cheesy songs came on which made me laugh, some came on that made me sing & others well I could have danced too, I'm sure I looked a sight haha. These reps flew by, I honestly couldn't believe when I looked down & I was on my last MP rep & not feeling like oh thank god this is the last one, what a feeling instead to be thinking, how am I almost finished these? The watched beeped after the last rep & I honestly felt so happy with myself. I set off then for the 8k practically back the way I came, enjoying the sunshine, all the people full of smiles & hellos & beaming about how good the session went. It honestly felt like the perfect Sunday morning training, if only they could all be like this🤗

The reps came in at 4:41/5:01, 4:36/5:01, 4:36/5:00, 4:38/5:03, 4:38/5:02, 4:37/4:59, 4:38/5:03, 4:37/5:02

2* S & C Classes done this week also.

Mileage for the week - 101.2km - 62.9miles

Mileage for the year so far -2,365.7 km - 1,470miles

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

Deadly. No other words necessary!

Mon 21st - Rest

Tues 22nd -70 Mins @5/5:05 - 13.98kms - 5:01km avg - 1hr 10min

Went out to the PP again for this, really is my fav place to train. Set off & settled into a rhythm easily enough, there was a stiff enough breeze running from my car up the North road but nothing that affected me too bad. Felt good once I got to the OS/Furze loop & enjoyed doing this. A nice evening with a lot of runners & people out enjoying it.

Weds 23rd - 10K easy - 10.10km - 5:39km avg - 57mins

A nice easy run after work

Thurs 24th - EIM 4*1K - 10.61km - 5:28km avg - 57mins

A busy day in work so enjoyed getting out for this a bit later than planned. Run went well.

Fri 25th - Shakeout & strides - 4km - 5:46km avg - 23mins

Sat 26th - Tullamore Half Marathon - 21.17km - 4:24km avg - 1:32:58

Race report to follow

Sun 27th - Recovery - 9.78km - 5:51km avg - 57mins

2* S & C Classes done this week also.

Mileage for the week - 7437km - 46.4miles

Mileage for the year so far -2,439 km - 1,516miles

Tullamore Half Marathon - 1:32:58

I wasn't 100% sure if I wanted to race in this block, main reason being that sometimes I would let a bad race affect me mentally more than anything else & I didn't want anything knocking my confidence for this block. I asked the question here on boards & got a lot of good replies, I decided I'd go ahead with a half marathon so I signed up for Tullamore. Once I got into my training I felt really good & each week lead to me gaining more confidence, the runs weren't easy but I was doing them very well & this felt good. After my 1st 20 mile run I decided I was going to just think about the half marathon as a stand alone race, I was not going to tie it into my marathon training if that makes sense. Basically if I was to get a PB that would be good but if it didn't go well then I was not going to let it dent my confidence.

I decided on a plan of attack for the race, a bit more aggressive than I usually would go for, this was a free hit so I thought why not? My plan was to try do 6:56 avg as far as I could then see if there was anything left to push on.

Woke up early, had brekkie & set off just after 7:30am. The drive down wasn't too bad, had a nice little sing song in the car! I parked up & started sorting myself out. As I was getting ready to warm up I turned to see @Mr. Guappa parked right beside me. We had a little chat then off I went to use the loo & warm up. The rain had started at this stage but it was still quite humid. Finished my W/U then changed my runners & made my way to the start. I was feeling nervous but wanted to give it a go. I had decided I would just pull back a bit it it was getting too tough. The announcer mentioned a clubmate who had passed away in June, he had come 3rd last year in the O45 category, so young, there was a round of applause, makes you appreciate things that little bit more.

The gun went off & the race started. I was close enough to the front so got into a rhythm easily enough without too much weaving. I don't remember a lot of details from this race, all I know is that it was a roller coaster of emotions from mile 5 onwards. I was hitting the paces & feeling ok, I took on water at each water station & poured a lot of it over my head as I was very warm. Mile 6 I slowed down, my legs were feeling so heavy & for some reason my head completely went, thoughts like this is too hard, there's still lots of miles to run, why don't you just stop etc came into my head. Honestly it's been a long time since I had these kind of thoughts. I have never DNF'd a race & I made damn sure no matter how bad I felt today was not going to be the day I did!

I manged to pull myself together & not give up, so I pulled the next 2 miles back to a decent enough pace, this was a lumpy course & I was feeling every bit of it. I had different people to work off at different stages but never stayed with just one person. Miles 10 to 12 got really hard again, I felt like I was practically walking, all I wanted now was to finish this race. As I got to mile 13 something happened that made me push on, this was my fastest mile of the race, I just wanted to give the end of the race my best because I knew I had let my head & lead legs convince me I just couldn't push in some of the other miles. I could see the turn for the track ahead & knew I was almost there. Once on the track I pushed one final time, gave it all I could. A few congratulations from a couple of men I had ran with at some stage of the race & a girl that I passed on the track, I love the sportsmanship of strangers taking the effort to say well done, I also congratulated each one. I collected my bag of goodies then went out for a C/D, a lovely cuppa & some lemon cake supplied by the volunteers at the club. It really was a well run event, just a tough enough course, well for me anyway. I met A again after he got himself a very well deserved PB, was absolutely chuffed for him! I rang a few people as I drove home & basically let the race sink in.

So I finished the race almost a minute slower than my PB & I wasn't disappointed? Of course a PB would have been the perfect outcome but not feeling disappointed was good. When I thought of the training I have been doing particularly over the last 2 weeks I'm not surprised my legs felt so heavy. 2 by 20mile runs the previous 2 Sundays, last Sundays run had stuff in it & it went so well for me, that is what fills me with confidence. So just like I said I was going to do I didn't dwell on the lack of PB at all. I was so proud of myself battling for so long & never giving up, that mental battle was tough but I won & that made me happy. A quote I seen from Vince Lombardi says "The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand." The task at hand is the Amsterdam marathon, I will train as hard & consistently as I always do for the next 7 weeks & hope that I see success💛

I was also blown away by all the really nice calls & messages I got from so many people, it really does only take a second or two to reach out to someone but makes the world of difference to that person😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done, less than a minute off your pb on a day you weren't feeling it...less than 2-3 seconds a K off pb pace there so that's great going in my eyes on a day you weren't feeling it. I didn't note if you'd built a taper in over the last week for the race so could be a something to look at for the next hm as those 20milers are heavy going.

Nice to read about that race as it catches my eye every year so meaning to do it sometime as it also doubles up as the National Half marathon championships these days (and the Leinster HM champs for those with a Leinster club). I take it the course is mainly out in the countryside or does much go around the town? Someone once described a route to me as "country flat" and I liked it the description for what almost rolling hills...breaks ups a race a bit but not always the fastest courses.

Hard to beat a good Vince Lombardi quote, rubber stamp approval from a Packers fan here.

Best of luck with the next 7 weeks.

Advertisement