Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What providers offer Wifi Calling

Options
  • 27-08-2023 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

We have poor mobile reception inside. I had Vodafone earlier and for years they kept saying that wifi calling was on the horizon but it never came. So I switched to eir and it has worked great for us. What other providers in Ireland offer wifi calling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Vodafone, 3 and Eir all offer it. Not sure about the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rhinosaurious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yes, got a Samsung s28 and put in my Vodafone sim and WiFi calling just started working didn't need to fiddle with settings.

Dunno if I should bother using it though? My phone reception at home is fine??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

GoMo as well

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Eir & GoMo are the only providers to fully support WiFi Calling, including text messaging and use while roaming.

Although person-to-person text messaging is not so important these days, receiving text messages for 2FA services is increasingly important. If your indoor coverage is poor, you need to consider whether you are prepared to go outdoors every time you need to receive a 2FA message?

WiFi Calling while roaming is a huge advantage, particularly when roaming outside of EU, where roaming charges can still be high.

Neither Vodafone or Three support Text messages or use while roaming. Three is a half-baked solution that is not even approved by Apple - so don't expect WiFi Calling to work on i-Phone with Three - https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204040

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

How WiFi calling is possible while abroad? I was in Dubai and my Eir sim was automatically connected to one of the local network. i didn't made any calls or text fearing roaming charges.

If you are connected to local WiFi when roaming abroad, your phone will operate exactly the same as when you are connected to WiFi at home - ie no roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

If i make/receive a call, wouldn't it go through the local network to which my sim is connected rather than the WiFi. is there any way to force WiFi calling over mobile network call even if there is strong mobile network signal.

apologies for my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

Once Wi-Fi calling is connected showing “eir Wi-Fi call” calls will go over Wi-Fi.

if you don’t trust it you can turn on airplane mode then which on Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi calling should connect then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 needtoknowit

My phone on An Post mobile seems to suggest that there is WiFi calling however when I turn it on I don't see any improvement. Does an post support WiFi calling?

• Advertisement

Apple have a list of operators in each country that support WiFi Calling. Only Eir & Vodafone are listed for Ireland as supporting it to the level required for Apple certification. Eir launched the service several years ahead of Vodafone, and is the only operator to fully support all WiFi calling features in Ireland, including Text messages and roaming. Vodafone's service does not include text messaging or use while roaming. GoMo (which is just another Eir brand rather than a full MVNO run by a separate company like An Post) does support WiFi calling. It is not sufficient to have a phone that offers WiFi calling, your service provider and tariff plan need to support it also.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204040

Advertisement