Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse Lucy Letby found guilty of murdering seven babies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

The jury consist of people like us,the posters on this forum...she wasn't convicted on all charges so I'd say they evaluated the evidence on all sides thoroughly before giving all their verdicts.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kirk. thtreadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

Why would anyone do something like this? It bothers me when people blame psychological disorders as if any one of us could be so consumed by an illness that our ability to chose would be gone. I have been badly depressed, done some things I was not proud of, but I still think that even at my worst I had the ability to choose my path. She caused immeasurable pain. How does she live with herself? Why did she do it? Is it that when you start making bad choices, you become more and more indifferent to what you’re doing. Why she did this is something I will never understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

I would love to know the answer to some of your questions. Why did she do this?

Only she knows.

It wasn't mental illness that drove that. Sadistic personality to be able to do that to a baby, and never being noticed or caught in the act.

We've all made bad choices as you put it, and done stupid things. We've never liked anyone, let alone a helpless little baby. This is different. Bet she's planned this for years. Pure sick individual

God, maybe she is a sadist. But I don’t believe you are a born sadist. So how exactly she became one is another mystery. Stuff like that scares me because essentially we are all born with our various personalities, sure, but a lot depends on what happens to us and whether we chose to be as bad as the worst thing that happened to us, if you understand me? Or better than that? God, it’s confusing and perplexing .

• Advertisement

I think the difference between her and most people on that planet, is the rest of us have a conscience and have empathy etc. A relation of mine has studied psychoanalysis and has told me some theories reckon the personality is formed by the time we're two years old.

Nature v nurture theory's.

It's hard to believe the parents didn't have some inkling, or niggling concern that she may be guilty. She planned this since she was a teenager I reckon.

It is fascinating. I'd love to know what made her tick so we could advance our collective knowledge and reduce risk of it happening again

Exactly. If we can understand it, we can least try to prevent it occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Sorry if I misinterpreted you. All I can say is circumstantial evidence or not, it's overwhelming and she's clearly guilty and I for one won't be lying awake wondering if maybe, just maybe, she didn't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Some people are born that way, unlikely she got it from upbringing, just unfortunate genes

• Advertisement

Absolutely. There had to have been a sign of this tendency at a previous time of her life. Even knowing that may shine some light on her 'why'

Wonder if there a child psychologist somewhere saying that they saw her professionally 20 years ago and knew something like this was gonna happen.

You may bet there is. And she had a great facade to hide her true self. People say she was social and even that she appeared kind. Her best friend is even sticking by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

The Lucy Letby case ... as well as her punishment ... has caused mixed reactions for me ... I have overheard people saying that she deserved to be executed and the like ... but I agree exactly with your logic ... LL or any other sentenced criminal could be innocent no matter how tiny that possibility is ... if there was a death penalty you can be sure at least 1 person would be innocent across a given period of say 2 years into its existence ... and prob more ...

Onto sentencing ... committing a crime depends on what country you do it in ... in America a criminal of LL's convictions would be executed ... but in Norway she would be out within 20-30 years (Trial of Anders Behring Breivik - Wikipedia) ... in Iran she would be at the mercy of the families and would prob end up hung but could potentially go free if the families forgave her .... in the UK she is locked up for life ... but which is fair and which is best ?? US, UK, Iran, Norway ??

LL will die in prison ... yet another similar UK nurse was sentenced in the 1990s to around 30 years and could come out soon enough ... the size of LL's cell is 1.8-3 metres or so which is v small ... now is this cruel and unusual punishment or is it what she deserves ... or does she deserve to be in a mental insitution ??

Mixed views exist but we are as people always angered by such criminals ... and their callous nature ... yet we do not stop and consider maybe that they are innocent ... or that they have been under the influence from others to do so ...

Personally I believe LL is guilty ... personally I believe she has to pay for her crimes ... but I also believe she does need to be treated for her mental illnesses and to be given a sentence with a limit of years no matter how long it may be ...

When we sentence someone like LL to a whole life sentence we could be sentencing someone who is innocent ... not saying it is the case with LL but the increased use of such sentences in the UK particularly since the emergence of Al Qaeda and ISIS terrorism ... means that sooner or later a totally innocent person will end up getting such a sentence ... We have already had our Giuseppe Conlon, Birmingham 6 and Guildford 4 examples ... while someone else gets away with it ...

Another reason I oppose whole life sentences is they do not give the prisoner any reason to cooperate ... if LL got say 30 years and it could be reduced to 25 or to a more open prison arrangement after a certain period of the 30 she'd have an incentive to cooperate and allow us to understand why she did it and if she was inspired by others to do so/was in cahoots with others doing it .... as it stands now she has no reason whatsoever to ever say anything about what she has done ...

Personal opinion ... LL was guilty ... LL deserves 30 years ... LL deserves treatment for any mental illness ... LL deserves to have a chance to cooperate and get something back if it helps to explain why she did it/get others who were involved if applicable/try and stop such things happening again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭lmao10

She could definitely be innocent. There is only circumstantial evidence. The conviction does make me uneasy since there is no hard evidence but whether she did it or not, only she knows. We've seen this happen with a case in the Netherlands where a nurse was convicted like this but it got overturned years later and the deaths were explained naturally. Imagine if Letby is actually innocent here. One thing I can say is that I hope I never have to go up against a jury. The standard for proof beyond reasonable doubt doesn't seem super high.

The notes that were pushed as confession notes all have her saying she didn't do it by the way. If you're going to take the note as a confession but then disregard the parts where she said she didn't do it, then it's not really fair. I know some people who are studying/studied medicine and I have to say that narcissism is quite common amongst them. Granted they are young doctors but I imagine the profession attracts narcissists, psychopaths, people with big egos and so on. I'd say the percentage is small but they would be there. I could easily see Letby being thrown under the bus to cover up whatever. Imagine if she was actually a nurse who genuinely cared and put in extra hours and all that and was affected by the deaths, only to get railroaded like that. I'm not saying shes innocent at all. I've just been reading about the case recently and there are some big red flags for me that raise doubt.

It still baffles me that people think she's not guilty of these crimes.

After ten months of evidence and over 100 hours jury deliberation, the jury reached a verdict on most charges and she's guilty as sin.

If this was a male nurse who had committed these crimes, would we be doubting the convictions? I strongly doubt it.

While I would love to know her true motives, she deserves to die in prison as an old lady.

These deaths weren't natural by any stretch, and neither is Letby.

She probably went into nursing to commit these crimes.

Criminal scumbags need to rooted out of these roles if they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Whole -life tariffs are inherently wrong. Even with a minimum tariff someone won't be released on parole if the Britannic authorities believe it's not safe to do so, so there's no real justification for a whole life tariff. In fact, there's no real reason for any minimum tariff. It's a fundamentally unjust concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You are still claiming that her absence of empathy is the cause for her actions. It is absolutely not. A lot of people have no/ diminished empathy without causing harm.

Whatever her motivation: she chose to carry out these acts. Lack of empathy might have been an aiding factor in making these decisions, but it wasn’t the driver. And btw: very human has the ability to compartmentalise, empathy or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Advertisement

Compartmentalizing is not too the same as an absence of empathy.

Very hard to cause no harm if you have no empathy. I don't fully grasp your point above.

It's whatever weird urge to kill babies/ play god combined with an absence of empathy, with an uncanny ability to pretend to be empathetic that enabled her to keep the mask on for so long.

The mask has slipped now though

I don't think they are wrong imo.

There is a strict set of criteria for applying a while life tariff, and Letbys crimes fit that criteria.

There are cases of people getting out after life sentences and committing more murders over there so I can understand logic behind the sentencing. It's to protect society and that's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You don’t need empathy to know right from wrong. How is this so difficult to understand? Ironically she probably has at least a degree of cognitive empathy to have masked successfully for a long time.

I never claimed that compartmentalisation was the same as a lack of empathy. I mentioned it as convenient way to distance yourself from your actions to keep your mind free from distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The point is that if a person is considered still to be a threat then he/she isn't granted parole. There's no need for a minimum tariff on a life sentence in my view. On the continent a life sentence is never more than 15-20 years and they're not falling over corpses. The British Injustice system is not one to be held up as a good example in my view.

Are you comparing the Norwegian model against the UK one?

The Norwegian one does seem very good, with very little repeat offenders compared to us (UK and Irish is similar model)

Can't apply that overnight here due to cultural differences, but it's interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So why wasn't she convicted of all charges? Was there someone else on the wards killing babies that no one can identify yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Likewise I won't spare a single thought for her.

But life imprisonment on the back of circumstantial evidence bothers me. I did a stint on jury duty and when I saw the "logic" used by my "peers" to convict a man for armed robbery based on crappy early 90's CC camera footage (with the resolution of a potato) I am bothered by the process.

"sure the guards know it was him, they wouldnt have charged him if it wasn't him, they know them all" was the hard evidence that 11 other jurors used to convict this man, and the judge let them.

When posters ask "who else could have done it" that flies in the face of "innocent until proven guilty". No one needs to prove it wasn't them as proving a negative can often be impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Evidence to convict on some charges wasn't strong enough to convince the jury ...she could still have committed the crime...it shows the jury judged each charge meticulously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah it was “reassuring” if that’s not an inappropriate word to use, that the jury demonstrated the ability to make decisions that didn’t reflect the prosecution viewpoint - it would make an appeal much harder in my view. Certainly lack of jury engagement or analysis on this case doesn’t appear to be a valid arguement. It was a mammoth task and given the nature of the content, I’m sure very upsetting for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You were on a jury that disregarded any evidence in a case and you didn't bring that to the attention of the judge?

Advertisement