Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

John Q Taxpayer better be realise this and be careful when the license fee is being criticized.

Its our only bulwark against being ridden bareback by these liggers.

Is it really though? Seems to me that idea is being tested to destruction with the current 'mass boycott'. Looks very likely what it will expedite in the short term is a government bailout covering the shortfall in RTE funding it is producing and in the medium term a move to an alternative system of funding for public-service broadcasting.

And if the boycott had caught on 20 or 30 years ago I think it would have had a similar outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Every one of these "sycophants" should be asked, when praising RT, what their views on the 150k pay back (not) are. Might focus things a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Who'd be sending him the chocolates and the books and all the various other goodies he was wont to waffle on about. If Tubridy thinks for a minute that a decent amount of his listenership are going to subscribe to some podcast channel he sets up, he's seriously deluded. Someone needs to take him aside and deliver a few home truths. That there is a difference between reality and publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,486 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

yes you do have a point there, however we all realise once RTE 'expenses' go into the main churn of taxpayers money support,JQT will have no way to make a protest, and I for one would not trust any Government to keep a close eye on their spending.

Recent events have proved that they have been riding us bareback, car deals, concert deals, clothing deals, travel deals, nepotism, and that's only the stuff we know about.

The question needs to be asked do we accept being butt reamed by a tight circle in the Monkstown/DL/Dalkey area or fight back.

JQT will have no way to make a protest

JQT will have the same avenue for protest about RTE funding as he/she has about any issue of concern in a democracy: vote for a political party that advocates doing things differently...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

Rt doesn't have a brand.

My one bit of sympathy I have for him as a human is that he is a product of an unsustainable institution.

When radio and tv were our only windows to the world his style of gibberish wouldn't have got any of the prime spots, he probably would never have gotten a show with his lack of awareness.

But those days passed and tv/radio remained the background noise for those who hadn't gone online, and it's this passive audience that RT was let loose on.

His ego is as unsustainable as rtes budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Also - if the Sunday indo are planning on “sponsoring” the podcast, it will seriously take the pressure off RT actually, you know, attracting subscribers...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any advertiser would be crazy to support a podcast by Tubs with serious money.

As many have mentioned, podcasts aren't as popular as many think they are. And fans of the Tubster aren't of the demographic to go and listen to podcasts imho.

So it would be a big risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

RYAN Tubridy has jetted off to London and has been weighing in on some "big offers" after being dumped from RTE.

The Dubliner's cousin Brian Hughes has told the Irish Sunday Mirror: "He’s got lots of irons in the fire, he’s not starving of options and choices.

"He’s in London talking to people and he got that offer to do the big podcast. He will never lie down."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭amacca

Actions speak louder than words imo

Wouldn't it be classier to say nothing/have nothing said and land the gig...than talk or have it talked about it beforehand?

• Advertisement

”that offer to do the big podcast” - what a load of horse sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Offer to do "the big podcast"? Does Hughes think that it is some TV programme like "The Big Breakfast"?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@ButtersSuki I think the term for a tabloid changing course as the Indo has done about Tubridy is a 'reverse ferret'

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I can actually see him rowing in with some GBnews type setup because he needs a passive audience.

He's off to the big shmoke to do the big podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

Not being the podcast thing myself. Back when I commuted a lot I used to listen to podcasts a bit but now I have less ‘idle’ time I’ve grown out of them. I just don’t have the place to fit them in in my life these days. Even so I’d only listen to a free and even the ones I particularly like I’d happily skip through the ads. Only 1 would I actually consider subscribing to but, again, don’t listen regularly enough to make it worthwhile.

I did subscribe to Second Captains for a while but I've built up such a roster of free ones I can't see myself ever paying a subscription again, even for the ones I am way more into than that like The Rest Is History

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Abusing a person is not discussing anything. A major public figure comes out and say some fairly harmless things about the LC, the sky is blue.

It was a vacuous statement, ill timed, criticizing him for that is harmless. It many people say it too many people all the time.

Are you honestly saying if you were offered a figure 3/4 times your salary you would turn it down? That's all Tubridy did. He went out and got someone to get the best deal possible for him. It's normal enough for this to happen. Trade Unions exist for that very reason. NK was the de facto trade union for high profile presenters at RTE. For better or worse that's the purpose of trade unions and equivalent bodies get the best possible deal for members. The only difference here is the profile of RT. Due to the very public nature of his role he is an as easy scapegoat.

No never said that, but then I never talked to the press about how I had taken a pay cut when I hadn't, nor did I go along with publicly announced figures when I knew they were wrong.

RTÉ have a trade union, and no an agent should be seen as a trade union.

The fact is that for decades management at RTE was afraid of losing their big presenters and awarded very high salaries to them. That's not the fault of Gay Bryne, Pat Kenny(take off the rose tinted glasses for a second, remember for most of the GB era competition was effectively banned/quiet literally non exsistent in Ireland) Ryan Tubridy and any other presenter you care to name took complete advantage of. It's been known for a long time that RT and a whole host of other presenters had saleies that were hard to justify and nothing was done. That's the responsibility of RTE management going back decades and involves hundreds of people at this stage.

No one ever said it was, but we did complain about these high wages and we didn't consider the justifications in anyway real.

Again RTÉ did not have a full monolopy unlike many of their European counterparts, it competed in a country where many had access to UK signals from the very beginning. UTV where very effective at taking the Irish Punt. Granted a different situation in terms of Radio, but many people of an era listened into the Beeb, I know my Dad's family rarely listened to RTÉ, my Mam felt she'd entered a different country as all her family listened to was RÉ, and the top 40 on Radio Luxemburg.

What's worse is that RTE have operated a major financial account with 0 controls. Given that that RT invoices were put through this account, it appears that at least some people within RTE were aware of these missing controls and sought to take advantage of it. That quiet frankly is shocking thing to happen at any half decent sized organisation never mind one the size of RTE.

Nothing is worse and we've being arguing for years that RTÉ was badly managed even before this scandal hit. I am not surprised or shocked by it TBQH.

I know being able to personify things makes things easier to understand. Heck it's the reason our storms have names now. Storm Betty wasn't called that for the craic.

I personally don't need storms to be names, nor do I need Ryan Tuburity's, or this scanda,l to tell me RTÉ is and was a very badly run organisation, I have known it for years.

But in this case its shows the problem with this aspect of human behaviour Lets ignore the huge financial scandal and focus on an unemployed radio/television personality for basically saying the sky is blue.

Again we've argued here and in plenty of other places that this is not just about Ryan Tuberity, he is part of it and his and his Unions dealing with the barter account have shown RTÉ and its management team up for what they are.

Ryan doesn't get to be in some way the whistleblower in this instance.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Is that the one where the ferret faces away from you? Asking for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bluebell woods

This is for buttersuki… I’m not wile sure how boards works and I’m not the sharpest knife in the draw …

however … there was a radio program on yesterday about the man who swallowed the dictionary…

I think you’re bloody fantastic… an outlier and I love every single word you write… I actually look forward to your posts … keep the faith butters , you are a marvellous human being with wonderful writing talent… superb

you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Maybe Audible will make Tubs an offer to do a podcast like they did this guy.

RYAN Tubridy has been offered a megabucks deal to host a two-hour show opposite his former slot on RTE Radio 1, The Irish Sun on Sunday can reveal.

Irish station Classic Hits Radio say they will match the €170,000 offer Tubs had from RTE before he was axed.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

Here’s a multiple choice question for Tubridy:

Does your average LC student think Tubridy is:

(a) a kind man concerned for their futures

(b) a man of good judgement with solid advice to impart

(c) a self obsessed dweeb with a very disturbing interest in young people

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So double the hours for the same pay, KB taking note

I thought his rte deal was €200k, so double time for less.

Still great money for talking through ones hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

He was been offered 170k at RTE. Pity he hadn’t his world class studio in before he got let go because then he could have worked from home. I jest. Not very good I might add.

Best of luck to him. Will he bring the numbers? I’m not so sure, but this is show business, anything can happen. But ‘Noel’ NKM management right now is nodding sagely in his board room. His ‘boy’ is still front page news. And he is thinking If Fionnan Sheehan be with us who be against us? GB News here we come with his pocket money earned on Classic Hits. Take note leaving cert students… the universe is adventurous place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Megabucks deal was the half million for <5 hours work a week talking nonsense on Radio 1. It's clear now that his true value was far less. I'd say he will get a short term contract so they can cash in on the notoriety. Just glad he is gone from the Taxpayer.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Is classic hits a dublin only station?

If so, great, most of the country will be able to fully avoid contact with RT’s particular brand of verbal diarrhea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Mad to think that a station I've never even heard of had that kind of deniro to be handing out.

Great money if he can get it and I wouldn't begrudge him if he does as it'll be earned/scrutinised more than RTE gravy train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's nationwide. I like Classic Hits (4FM) except when there are talk shows. Niall Boylan is on there. I only tune in for the 80s stuff. I thought Tubs would be above this station. This could be all spin too.

Edit: I thought it was nationwide - see below.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement