Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Anyone who drinks in Temple Bar deserves everything they get, it's a tiny area... You have pubs two minutes walk away charging significantly less..

Got a cod and chips the other day in Westport, e13.. that's the last of that... Chips were e4, so nine euro for cod? Lol! I buy the cheap 24 packs of coke Zero when they are on offer, put a few in the house and a few in the car to save money when out and about ..

Eating at home way more, the mrs does far better food than most places we used to go and the gauging has just hit tipping point for us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Because people are muppets in general. Theyll spend money willly nilly then complain when the economy is in the toilet they've no money. I'm all for treating yourself but not when I see a rip off straight in front of me. If ya keep handing over your hard earned money theyll just keep taking.

Bit of hyperbole there. Last time I was in Templebar there were plenty of Irish accents in the pubs, and Irish bank cards being tapped. Dublin has always had expensive drinking spots, some of us are old enough to remember the wine bars on Leeson street, which died out for many reasons, not solely associated with high costs of cheap wine. I was in a hotel in Westport a few months ago which had jumped considerably in price since the last time we stayed, it was mostly Irish people there as well.

It isn’t theft when you willingly volunteer to hand over your hard earned cash, so describing it as such is going to far. Right now, for well known reasons, there is a lack of hotel rooms, and the government seems determined to wipe out short lets, so market forces are driving prices up. Until more hotel rooms become available, the hotels will charge what they want, and probably get it. I wouldn’t pay it, nor will you, but some people are obviously willing to, so it isn’t theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

The cost of eating out doesn't annoy me too much tbh, I understand the cost involved has gone up across the board and it's being passed on to the consumer. We don't eat out so much that it effects us hugely.

The thing that really bothers me is paying for food that is poor quality or badly cooked. I met my mum out in the Beach House in Greystones the other week for lunch, should be okay pub grub. My wife ordered a linguine dish and they brought her out a big bowl of penne, when I questioned it the waiter shrugged his shoulders like he didn't know there was a difference and disappeared. When he came back he said they were out of lingune so they'd swapped out for penne as it was all just pasta. He might be right but it would would have been nice to be told ahead of time. The chips were half raw and our young fellas burger was like rubber. If you're going to charge me money just give me edible food ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You're absolutely right, it isn't theft, it's worse than theft as quite a few of these establishments actively prey on the intoxication of their customers by raising prices through the night in the knowledge their customers can be more easily fleeced the drunker they get.

Theft is not a strong enough word.

• Advertisement

You are losing the run of yourself, are you saying that pubs/hotels raise prices at will during the night, above the prices they advertise? Who does this?

Kermit, if you are old enough to drink alcohol, you are old enough to know it can impair judgement, and old enough to take responsibility for your actions. If you go into a pub knowing the drink is expensive, and willingly hand over your money to the owner, it simply cannot be considered theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Pubs in temple bar are well known to do this.

101 in Limerick also do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Late night pubs have been doing this for years/

Did you read my post?

Above advertised prices. If the prices are listed, then they are doing nothing illegal/stealing from punters. If they aren’t advertising the price change, have you reported them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭randd1

A pub charging €6.50 for a pint is one thing. Far enough, you know what you're getting into, and nobody is forcing you to go.

But the craic in nightclubs of the tills jacking up the price by 50c or €1 automatically every hour was blatant price gouging. I honestly don't know anyone who bothers with these places anymore, and it's little wonder so many have died off.

So people sometimes do vote with their feet eventually.

It's less than 10 years ago I was still getting pints in our local for €4.70, they're €6 now. I was never a big pub drinker anyway, myself and herself preferred to arrange a meet up with the in-laws or a few friends (particularly in the summer months, outside on a few benches), and have a quiet few cold cans and throw on a bit of finger food/sandwiches, do it once a month for a few hours on a Saturday/Sunday. A fraction of the cost and pretty much the same craic.

PS - Is the rise in cocaine use a factor in the rise of prices, as in young people not drinking anymore? Or is the rise in cocaine use a response to drinks prices going through the roof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

A mcdonalds large Americano is gone to 2.80. Im certain 3 months ago it was 2.50.

Not bad coffee and still not a bad price but its some jump.

And before anyone asks. No i didnt have a gun to my head to get a coffee there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Whatever.

I don't go to late night pubs anymore, I'm just telling you the pubs change their prices through the night, something you seemed to be unaware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Id agree its not theft. But it is 100 percent gouging. We dont have to go into these kips either. However these kips and vintners in general shouldnt be given free reign for their pitty parties on the national airwaves. I have zero sympathy for any of them. Prices have sky rocketed and quality have nose dived. Plenty of profits being made on the backs of local people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Am I the only one who thinks that these guys in Temple Bar are running great businesses?

They literally open their doors everyday and from midday onwards, people start piling in and spend spend all day long, day in and day out. If you can get it, then why not? There is nothing stopping anyone from walking around the corner to the next place and paying a few euro less. Yet, because of a great marketing campaign on social media, people feel the need to HAVE to go to Temple Bar and get their picture there having a drink. I drink in Dublin, and don't go there, as I have the choice. Not one single person is forced into those places and "robbed". Every pub in Ireland displays its prices at the door and is required to do so under law.

Also, having travelled a lot over the last year, I have had far more expensive drinks thank in Ireland. In NYC with a tip for their "small" pint its around $11. Was in a cool trendy bar in Croatia and the only beer they had was €7 for a 33cl of Crapberg - no thanks. London, when you convert prices in many places is more expensive than Dublin. Paid €9 in Paris for a pint of local beer in a normal not fancy place. My friend was in Dubrovnik and it was €10 for a pint of normal IPA.

On the flip side had a €1.20 beer in Portugal, lovely pints for €2.40 in Croatia, massive measures in Spain for a short for €7. €3.90 in Austria for a Weiss in a beautiful location in the mountains.

So yeah, prices vary. So what. It's the open market. What will be great in Ireland is when we can have more liberal law for bar licences which will allow for people to obtain a licence without remortgaging their homes and set up smaller places and offer competition to these big monster pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,504 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Not with 3 kids and a wife. It would be thousands for a trip to the continent. I can get in the car with a few tents and sleeping bags and go anywhere in Ireland for a few nights for not a lot of money. The problem is the weather has been rubbish this year so even if we all climb a mountain for a few hours in the morning, the kids need something to do for the rest of the day and playing in the rain only has limited appeal

Ireland is a fantastic place to go on holiday when the weather is ok. This summer it's not been very good, so all the people on holiday here, have ended up having to fill hours in their day with the only indoor activities that there are available at short notice, sitting in pubs and restaurants. This means the restaurants can increase their prices knowing there will be queues regardless

I was in Kilbaha, near loop head, the farthest west you can have a pint without getting on a boat, and the pub was jammed on a Wednesday evening with families eating out, so much that the owner complained to me that it was too busy and he didn't have the staff to cope.

Totally agree, only time I have been in Templebar in the last 10 yrs was to meet friends from UK who were staying in city centre hotel and wanted to go to Templebar. I have zero sympathy for bar owners, but I also have zero sympathy for people who choose to pay the high prices, and complain afterwards. Despite what others may think, it isn’t theft, it’s just paying the advertised price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah amazing really. I went out basically every Saturday night (sometimes 2-3 times a week) from when I was 16 until I was about 30 and have been in The Temple Bar twice, once with UK work colleagues for one pint.

Never been in the Quays, the Ha'penny Bridge Inn or the Auld Dubliner, been in Gogertys maybe twice. Palace the same. Fitzsimons once. Club M was good craic back in the day.

First bit of advice I ever give to people flying in, avoid. Or maybe just go for a quick mooch at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭andrew1977

One of the pubs/restaurants local to me has jacked up their food prices again, 19 euro for a Sunday roast beef dinner, no thank you.

Nothing fancy about it, no large portions, basically a carvery dinner brought to your table for you .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I had a lovely weekend in one of the blue book hotels in the west of Ireland recently. Stunning scenery, gorgeous quirky hotel and very high quality food. I don't mind paying for that kind of experience and look forward to going again. I booked it on booking.com and it was in or around the same money as other available hotels.

For the same money I would have no interest in going to a run of the mill hotel with food I could cook better myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭celt262

That's the sort of messing that will close a place pretty lively you can still get 2 courses on a early bird for much the same price in a proper restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Sid 1984

Dunno why its sideways.....nevertheless....

Last May, Vila Real in Portugal...€2.50. For both.

Stopped in a village on way to Duoro Valley a couple of days before & herself had a glass of wine. 70c...

Super Bock isn’t an imported beer Sid, it’s a cheaper domestic one though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Used to be €10.50 in my local - now its €17.00 - we`ve stopped going out for a carvery now on a Sunday.

Sooner the better all these rip off merchants have to shut down. They only have themselves to blame.

Our family are now the same, used to regularly go out for Sunday lunch/dinner , not anymore, more of a treat/special occasion now

No way are we wasting 19 euro a head for a roast beef dinner/turkey and ham, not to mention the classic bowl of soup now heading for the 6.50- 7 euro mark !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It was grand when it was a tenner for 5 of us - couple of pints and you`d still have change of €100.00 - now you are almost at the €100 for just the food.

Nope Ive stopped going to pubs and restaurants and prefer to have a few nights in with friends with my cheap (Northern Ireland) beer.

Picked this lot up in NI on Saturday - Irish MUP prices for comparison. Saved 200 euros for a 3 hour round trip up North.

Well know brand beer (Carlsberg) - €28 each x3 24 500ml cans--€50.00 each down here.

Cheap Lidl brand - there was an offer on of 10 cans of Stella artois for 6.99 - so I got 7 of them = 70 500ml cans - even Lidls "cheap" brand down here was working out at 48 for 24 cans.

Vodka was €15.78 - €29.00 here

Gin €14.99 -€29.50 here

3 white wine -15.00 - Tenner each here - exact same brand and type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

@bikeman1 said:

"So yeah, prices vary. So what. It's the open market. What will be great in Ireland is when we can have more liberal law for bar licences which will allow for people to obtain a licence without remortgaging their homes and set up smaller places and offer competition to these big monster pubs."

I agree 100%.

thanks, does seem high for outside Dublin especially.

FX Buckleys roasts, which are top notch, are 19.50.

Although you can pay towards 30 euro in Dublin at the top end places for a roast.

• Advertisement

I am looking forward to the licence change also. I really expect it will open the door for smaller, niche bars to flourish.

They wont have to pay stupid amounts for one of the finite licenses held down the country somewhere, attached to a pub that will never reopen.

It will be brilliant for Dublin and the other cities/larger towns and will help bring competitiveness to the market, as well as cheaper food and drinks.

Not so good for the rural ireland pubs that arent sustainable. but if they arent sustainable, then they probably need to go anyway.

It will end up like that taxis and their licence, post deregulation.

The license attached to a pub will no longer be transferrable and so becomes worthless.

For the cities and towns that do have lots of custom but suffer from lack of available licences, that issue will vanish when you go go direct for a cheap license from the council.

It should really drive new business creation in the hosputality industry.

Advertisement