Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

👁️ Enoch Watch 👁️

Updated 21 August 2023

• Fri June 02 – Day 74 of EB protest at Wilsons Hospital School post dismissal.*
    • Fri June 02 – Last Day of Term 
    • Thurs July 6 - High Court (Justice Roberts) grants EB temporary injuction preventing Disciplinary Appeal Panel from proceeding on 7 July.
    • Mon July 17 - High Court (Justice Owens) awards WHS legal costs + €15k damages against EB.
    • Mon August 8 - High Court (Justice Dignam) defers judgement on injunction against Disciplinary Appeal Panel. Judgement still pending.
    • Mon August 21 – Fines x 207 Days @ €700 per day (27 Jan to 17 July inclusive) = €144,900

Dates to note: Tomorrow will be one year since Enoch Burke's official suspension on 22nd August 2022

🏳️‍🌈 ⚧️ Donations to "Enough Enoch" GoFundMe in support of Irish LGBTQ+ charities = €11,245 ⚧️ 🏳️‍🌈 (no change)

Donations to "Enoch Burke" GoFundMe to assist Enoch Burke pay daily fines = €40 (no change)

Donations to a new gofundme "Pay Enoch Burke's Legal Costs" started 18 July 2023 = €0

*School closures / Public Holidays / Court Dates are excluded.

The legal costs must be eye-watering at this stage. I couldn't even hazard a guess. 💰️ 💰️ 💰️ 

I wonder if WHS have cut him off the payroll yet? Maybe tomorrow. (1 year since suspension).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Pedantic I know - but are the fines only for the days that he shows up at the school?

If he hasn't been showing up since end of term in June, then the daily fines are static until terms restarts and the bould Enoch makes his reappearance.

Likewise - he won't have been accruing any daily fines on weekends (unless he was showing up on Saturday and Sundays - and I definitely don't imagine him showing up to "work" on the sabbath 😁)

No, the daily fines are not for each day he turns up at WHS, they are for each day he remains in contempt of the High Court injunction ordering him to stay away from WHS.

The fines began to be applied on 27 January and apply for every day since (including school closures, weekends, bank holidays etc) and will continue to accrue until he goes before the Court and purges his contempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭GarfieldandPookyBear

I’ve completely lost track 😂 Too many hearings but it would be approximately 20k per day in the high court depending on how many barristers so a lot of money! I think they are still paying him pending the outcome of something? They are not obliged to though. Bet he’s polishing up his satchel for school next week 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Once the money gets to a level where he has no possibility of paying it, he might as well carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

He's apparently back at the school today!!!

• Advertisement

If he is, I doubt anyone will be surprised.

The High Court need to get their finger out, and issue the judgement on the injunction over the Disciplinary Appeal Panel, so it can either proceed with the current members, or alternative members appointed.

Its ridiculous that this has been allowed to drag on over the summer, and into a new school year.

confirmed

Some interesting bits in the article

1. The trespass charge has been dropped
    2. Total fines are 148k, plus the 15k costs to the school, plus 6 figure legal costs....ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

The independent article stated he has set himself up in a “corridor” ?

Shirley this is looking for a showdown of sorts? I didn’t think he was permitted to be on the school grounds, only outside.

Former teacher Enoch Burke has returned to the school that sacked him in what is seen as a pledge to continue his protest at his dismissal.

As the new term began today, Mr Burke arrived and took up position in a corridor in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

He can hardly stay in the corridor?! Surely he'll be removed for trespassing.

As far as I can remember, he is not allowed anywhere past the gate, though I'd need to go back and check.

If he is in a corridor, he is provoking a showdown. Twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭757TFFIU

If he is physically in the building, on a corridor, he is in breach of the court order. Surely he is a trespasser, and can be removed by Gardai. I suspect he's trying to be put back in prison. In saying that, he's just making a plonker of himself at this stage (as if he wasn't already).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Also wrong in the Indo;

“prompting the High Court to issue him with a daily €700 fine for every day he remained in contempt of court by turning up at Wilson’s Hospital.”

He is fined 700 euro every day for contempt of court whether he turns up at the school or not.

Is Daddy still driving him to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Acosta

I assume he'll never pay the fines and will prefer to return to prison. But are the authorities actually ever going to look for these fines to be settled? Or have they already done so? Or does it have something to do with whatever appeal he has pending?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

If he is inside, he’s probably looking for a confrontation to get some articles going and social media outrage.

Wilson’s will be smart enough not to fall for that, leave him there until 4 o’clock and just make sure he doesn’t interact with the students.

They’ll have a bouncer on the door tomorrow so he can’t repeat it.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭lmao10

Id say he's just delighted to get out of that house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I imagine he wants away from the mother and his dad is sick of driving him and they’ve concocted a plan that suits them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Must be very disruptive to the students his presence in the corridor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Hopefully he's beside the unisex toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Back in my day we’d probably have pea shooting competitions (wet paper and empty bic biro ) to see who could hit him without getting caught 😛

It was Justice Owens who, when he ruled that WHS suspension of EB was lawful, who also ruled that EB had no right to enter the school once he had been suspended and that his attendance afterwards amounted to trespass.. He said that WHS was entitled to a permanent injunction barring Enoch from the premises.

I guess that means WHS were hoping to avoid that - that the DAP would have taken place before the new school year, and some resolution would have been reached by now

I guess they will now have to formally apply to the High Court to have the temporary injunction made permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It seems bizarre that anyone can just walk into a school and stay there until a court order is obtained.

Doesn't seem compatible with child protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fair play to him, he's not a quitter anyway.

How many days are in the school calendar year? Are the media going to report on him being there for every single one of them? Or will they eventually stop covering the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

The legal system needs to toughen up on this guy and his carry on. Don't care what the legal language is or what code or law he is presumed to be breaking, but if a grown man, who was not welcome in a school, was hanging around the school corridor where my kids were at school, I'd be expecting the justice system to step in and protect my kids. In fact, I'd be furious he is allowed anywhere near the building perimeter.

The high court has already ruled. Case closed. Get off school.property, dont come back, dont disrupt the school.staff & pupils, and patents.

If the justice system doesnt step in to protect the kids & teachers, and resolve this issue, people will start to take justice into their own hands. Its not right that people go down this route, but unfortunatly it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Or will they eventually stop covering the story?

They did stop covering it for a long time, but the guy rocking up for the first day of term is news.

The media are not the issue here, and if anyone thinks Enoch will just lose interest if he's not appearing in the news, they have not been paying attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Advertisement