Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

It covers Dublin, Cork and Galway and spills over into parts of the neighbouring counties. Nobody in the north west or south east can pick it up on their radio

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

I wouldn’t have thought 4FM had that kind of dosh myself. I haven’t listened to them that much but perky my impression is that the kind of limerick they have would be on fair money but we’re past their Montrose or big ticket years and still working away. I figured too that their roster likely have side gigs as well anyway. I wonder I’d it something like a C 3 month contract to cash in on the publicity but in the end isn’t going to cost them a huge chunk anyway? It’s easy say 170,000 for a year but even at €42,500 it’s pricey for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

That’s a great publicity article for Classic Hits Radio regardless of whether there’s a deal there with Tubridy or not.

As many posters on this thread have agreed previously, getting listeners to turn the dial to another radio station is a difficult thing to do, especially if they’re a very loyal RTÉ radio 1 listener- Pat Kenny had to find a whole new following when he left so it’s quite a fact, not just supposition.

They may well pay Tubridy similar amounts of money that RTÉ were offering but it will likely be performance based on growing listenership.

A lot of hot air press releases at the moment- let’s just see exactly what he’s left with when the publicity dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Tow

So this is a different station from Classic Hits 98FM. I cannot even find their frequency on their website. They have a Select Location option, which just givens the days schedule and the 'How to Listen' gives a 404.

At least Wikipedia gives the frequencies!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

C'mon lads, it's a Ken Sweeney article!

It's dogshit. There's probably nothing to it. It's a bit of easy publicity for Classic Hits.

It's a station, like Sunshine that practically runs on fresh air.

Actually, Tubridy would be a better fit for Sunshine but as Sunshine is doing quite well in Dublin (again running on voice tracked fresh air), it doesn't need the PR push as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Rise ‘n’ Shine with Ryan on Sunshine FM.

The only thing missing is Sidekick Simon.

yeah looking at the schedule it’d bea big come down for the toyman! I’m not saying that to denigrate the presenters classic hits already have. I like them a lot and they’re good at what they do but it strikes me as real world radio where people who had gigs with the big stations at one stage moved on because they were scheduled out and found work in local independence or semi nationals and moved around a bit. They had time to get used to the changes but it’s a massive shift from being the top RTE earner and presenter of the flagship TV show up to 3 months ago to now be slumming it with lads you passed on the corridor in Montrose 15 years ago. No way he’ll retain listeners and keel that package even if it's a done deal. People are more accustomed to tuning away from the independents I think so he’ll have lost that captive audience.

Post edited by squonk on

And if you’re a classic hits regular listener, you’re doing so by choice and likely because there’s no way in hell you want to listen RT or indeed any other presenter rattle on about their personal musings- you want wall to wall music noise in the background whilst you do whatever it is you do - far from gain listeners, Tubridy moving to classic hits will lose them listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They might gain listeners from the cohort who want to hear wall to wall Beatles or Paul McCartney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Presenters are expected to do long hours there. It's not uncommon for someone to come back again in the evening after doing a morning slot. Looking at today's schedule, everyone is on for 3-4 hours. Presumably their production staff is minimal. Tubs had seven people working on his one hour programme. What were they all doing? He wouldn't last five minutes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I can't help but think that this is some genius experiment by KB to see what these massively overpaid presenters are actually worth to other organisations. We've been hearing it for years that RTEs "talent" are paid so much because they'd be poached by other broadcasters, let's see what actually ends up being offered and by whom.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A team of 7!

Sweet lord. And the show was generally pretty terrible.

It was 25min of him rambling about what tv shows or films he had watched, where he had gone for a walk the previous day, various news stories out of random papers.

Then moved on to a 15min chat with usually a random person.

And 2 songs and adverts in between.

How did it need 7 people to produce that.

Fair point. If Tubbs is tge poster boy fur the problem, make him the poster boy for the solution. I can’t imagine KB is too distraught. It actually plays right into his hands. Next contractor who knocks in his door for contract negotiations and mentioned how valuable they are, he can point to Tubbs and remind them of exactly how valuable they are. It’s a good development but I’m not sure if it was a master plan by KB either as it looks like RT was going to be back on air next week if he hadn’t acted the maggot and got himself in more hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That article is one big spoof - There's no downside for anyone in it

NK looks great

RT looks great

Classic gets publicity

Sun gets clicks

This offer is rubbish. It is not real. It will never happen and when it doesn't happen, nobody looks bad (it'll be more made up crap about Ryan holding on for better offers/considering his options etc)

So are we to expect lots more bull articles like this over coming weeks?

Sounds like there’s a PR machine in over drive right now churning out this crap.

He’s in the commercial broadcasting world now - this is probably his first encounter of how the real broadcasting world actually works- he needs to calm it down a bit- if a publicity campaign to promote a presenter onto the commercial stage is obvious, then it’s self-defeating and he’ll end up looking like a desperate fool.

The very fact that he’s engaging in such publicity means he’s not getting any knocks on the door with offers.

Here's looking at you, Joe Duffy, eh?

I do think KB has good intentions, Tubridy is obviously a massive ego and imo hasn't made the best choice for himself- maybe the best for the audience though. Being a presenter is just a job at the end of the day, but Ireland is a very small pond and we have the same fish just swimming around and around constantly, with some added nepotism for good measure. To pay these dopes as much as we have been is pointless when there are plenty of people walking around who could easily do it aswell as if not better than they can. It's not a race to the bottom but if they could be poached by other broadcasters let them. RTE should be a stepping stone for new talent anyway, not an old boys' club.

“A stepping stone for new talent”- that wouldn’t be the worst strategy for a new RTÉ - it would also ensure that costs towards presenters are kept down as they learn their trade

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

reading that RSVP article mentioning GBNews and a podcast for a major organisation really sounds like something Steve Coogan would come up with for an Alan Partridge reality series. It reminds me of that show where he was living in a hotel and trying to get a gig with the BBC so actually Steve Coogan did all this over 20 years ago! 😀

• Advertisement

You'd have to laugh though. A total of two (three?) Irish people made it big in UK broadcasting in the history of RTE Television and this line of "the BBC will offer them better terms" is used to keep the taxpayer paying out the big bucks all these years. Who cares? Pat Kenny and Marty Morrissey can be the old guard for the pensioners, get rid of the Kathryn Thomas types and see who wants to pay for Joe Duffy to bore on about tenements and social work in the 1960s. A new dawn indeed 🤣

Let’s face it, if Pat Kenny wasnt picked up by the BBC, none of the rest will be. Say what you like, but PK is good in his area of politics and is probably the last of the old guard still standing who were very competent and generally god broadcasters.

Agree with you there! Pat does exactly what it says on the tin, his preparation is apparent when interviewing. I find him boring but he's reliable and I daresay does an honest days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

What's with these hoteliers - the cousin above in Connemara and the chap of the Brennans - being the chief defenders of Ryan Tubridy?

His fellow contractors are not exactly rushing to his side, I suppose.

It feels the the equivalent of getting your mammy to go out and bat on your behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

GB News is a right wing English nationalist cesspit. The fact that it's being mentioned definitely shows it to be spoof. They'd have no use for RT.

“Spoof” or organised PR campaign? I can see why individual stations would jump on the PR bandwagon to create cheap publicity for themselves with Ryan being open to offers- my question really is, are these articles originated by RT and his media team or are they independent PR campaigns to simply promote the stations mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And who of course see the latter as the source of everything great about the former

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I have Classic hits 4fm on car radio almost permanently for the music.

It will be deleted from presets if tubs ends up there, and I'll find something else.

• Advertisement

I honestly don’t think there’s a risk of that happening - I think you’re safe keeping the dial where it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement