Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hobby Farm Profits?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He is not well, his wife is not well.

I'd like to see him run 3 beef finishing farms in 3 countries, not easy or cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭epfff

You should try doing it with 3 big tractors.

It's not easy

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Aravo

Oh Gaybo you had me worried there for a moment. Off OP's topic slightly, I actually read TG's book written by Frank Connolly. Well worth a read. TG was a great fella. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Profit? You be farming unicorns then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yes I did too. Its a real eye opener to our little banna Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP

It's tough making a margin on 25 acres. First thing it not all about making a profit. You are allowed to farm at a loss for three years and write off losses against PAYE income.

You should definately do accounts. You can allow phone, electricity, car expenses......even cat and dog food against your business accounts.

You can do your own accounts but if you have all receipts in order an accountant might do them for 400 ish euro ( tax deductible as well).

Technically you do not need to buy entitlement for all you land units ( hectares), you can draw, greening and CRISS with a single bliss entitlement

They will amount to about 100-110/ unit or 40/ acre( 1.1k in total approx). If the lad is in a disadvantaged area you will get another 100 ish/ HA or another 1k.

It's very hard ( but not impossible) to make money on a summer grazing system. Most lads hold until late in the autumn, I be more inclined to have grass in February/ March and get cattle into your land early and start to sell in Late August/ September and have grass for early the following year.

Buy light runners in January/ February,around 180-220kgs and summer graze. You can do paddocks with pigtails and reels. A few posts here and there for strainers, put your water troughs in the middle of the fields. Cattle need to go into fresh grass every 4-6 days.

It's all about weight gain. You need to buy hungry runners and put 200 kgs on them.

I bought Friesians in late January ( mind you I have a shed and finish cattle so they did not get priority access to grass during the spring ( did not get to grass until late March) They were 280 ish ( a bit too well done for my liking) and are probably above 450 kgs at present. Dosing is important. I started to use the multi-min injection this year it's seems to be an effective injection and it improves growth IMO. It's expensive at 4.5/ head approx

It takes time to buy cattle but LSL is great when you get used to it.

On repayments. The CU is about your best bet. Interest will be 6-7%, it will probably be better to tell them.its for house improvements as it may be easier to get. Repayments about 13-13.5k/year. Highly unlikely you will earn the repayments to pay it off.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Thank you very much Bass Reeves. your post is extremely helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's a bit of a clue in the term "hobby farm". It if were economically viable, it wouldn't be a hobby farm.

Others who scratch a living from small farms (though not as small as 25 acres) likely inherited or married them. They are not carrying, and trying to service, a purchase debt.

• Advertisement

so what? these are topics for discussion that I am raising out of interest. doesn't have to be real life.!!

(ps - Aravo this may shock you, but my name is actually not abnormalnorman also 😲)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Jack98

Pretty straight forward. You started a thread saying you were sick of propping up non performing farms. You now are proposing to buy a farm that will undoubtedly be a non performing farm which you will need government supports to turn any kind of profit.

Can you not see the irony in this…180 degrees as Aravo said lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

Not to be pedantic but it's 360 degrees and not 180. I've made that mistake myself in the past.

180 degrees is to change your mind completely or direction so to speak, 360 degrees turn would leave you where you started so your opinion wouldn’t have changed. I think I’m correct on that one.

yes but shur they are 2 different topics for discussion. nothing to say that a person cant get opinions on each side of the coin. Doesn't mean I have to or are doing any of these 2 things. dont believe everything you read?!

You stated in that thread you had issue with non performing farmers being supplemented with government supports and now you want to become the farmers you criticized.

There will be no profit from the land area you are suggesting with buying cattle in. We finish a lot of our own calves here every year and if you had to buy these calves that would be the majority of our profit left per head eaten up.

That’s the reality of your aspiration here if you don’t have off farm income to set aside to meet repayments you are at a hiding to nothing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Discussions on here are real life for the people who post.

You've got some very hard-won insights from several posters. Don't start trolling people now.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

It was a quote from pee Flynn, bit off topic.

Back on topic, don't forget that subsides are to ensure that consumers have cheap food that is produced below or just barely above cost of production.

Society here and in Western Europe is much more dismissive of food quality, sustainability or even how green it is, despite ad nauseam talk otherwise than even 20 years ago. You want to buy land with borrowed money to get in to that!

You can give it a go but have the off farm income to support it. You'd be much better off getting a weekend job at McDonald's. That's not a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

Had a dealer out looking af few of my bullocks.... 2 year old chx...he was offering less than paid for them last year... Not to mind guys who have cattle bought this spring...

All talk about how we all have to take a loss on the cattle we bought. I'm lucky I don't depend on it as its just not sustainable. I just draw down payments and enjoy clearing mind after day job.

So in summary of planning on farming for money then I suggest not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

Am confused now. Depends which direction you go I guess. It's something I was pulled up on at work once myself. Like doing a full 360. Going back the same way you came.... Maybe.

Am using my finger here in my head 180 Deg is a straight line. It's the change of direction is key I guess. Not trying to catch you out or anything. It's just something I was pulled up on before but I'd say now you and I were probably right originally.

• Advertisement

Different people would see it different ways, my logic would be if you started at a position and went 180 you’d be at the opposite side (opposite opinion) of a circle and if you went 360 you’d be back at square one where you started and nothing would have changed.

It is very seldom that land purchased will cover it's repayments, especially with the tax treatment of repayments. It's interesting with the formation of farm companies the way there benefit with making repayments has actually increased land values( probably doubling them.in strong dairying areas.

However that is not to say the purchase of 20-30 acres might be viable. OP could rent extra land to make his system more profitable. There is a farmer near me that bought 18 acres 25 years ago who has since purchased another 15 and is renting about another 20-25. His son lately purchased a 12 acre field that he intends build on. Two of my children have planning on different parts of my land. Either site would cost 70-80k at a guess.

Slava Ukrainii

When buy cattle you have to buy what is profitable not what you want to buy. As well weanling to store systems are not compatible with profitability as the margins on cattle are too small. Pick the wrong mart and it's a case of it makes no sense to bring them home unless you have your own transport.

Took cattle for the BIL to the mart. Doing a calculation from the time my box left the yard to the time I bought it back it cost me over 20 euro in diesel along. A hauliers would charge 12+/ head. For cattle that use up the three movements if they are all through marts it's 66-68 in mart fees and if the cattle are by paid transport on four if the six trips it another 50+ euro. Give 6/ head for diesel and wear and tear on the other two trips

Finally when the animal goes to the factory there is about 11 euro in deductions and add 15++ if needing to use a hauliers.

Finally as an aside it's costs about 5/head to test cattle, with all the movements it probably means at least one extra herd test the animal goes through so 4 for its life instead of three. That is twenty euro.

Add it all up buying, selling, transport,slaughtering and testing costs and you are above 150 euro and just below 200/ animal probably in the 180 euro mark. If farmers moved cattle less there would be 100 more in farmers pockets

Slava Ukrainii

How could you justify renting more land if OP will already probably be operating at basically zero profit trying to maintain payments on land they wish to purchase. Additional rented land would have to be stocked also there would be little to know return on investment of both time and money. Find it hard enough to justify the beef enterprise here and we have no calf purchase cost, suits us as we’re fragmented probably the main argument for maintaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Well maybe its a case of if you can't beat them join them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Im farming 150 acres (30 rented) of very good land. Im probabaly a gobshite not to be dairying. i have my off farm job, i wouldnt fancy keeping two houses and families going on just the farm. beef and sheep here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Aly Daly

I purchased 23 acres of good dry land 10 years ago throughthe proceeds of business,I rented it out to sheep farmers for the first 6 years but got sick of that.I have farmed it myself for last four years buying 45/48 forward stores through the mart in January/February & selling into the factory October/November.The land is used for grazing only & no fodder is cut of it.I have some past experience with finishing cattle through an uncle.The land has no entitlements.I broke even the first year,small net profit the last two years & presume there will be a liss this year as stores were expensive when I bought them.In my opinion this man should not purchase a farm on borrowed money.

Farming about 68 acres, 4-5 of reed, 2 acres in a fort so about 60 net. Kill about 60/ year, hold onto all the SFP and the Glas/Acres,net margin is 350+/head. Simple store to finish system. Not caught up in what I buy or when I hang them. Most Friesians the last 3+ years, switching to coloured cattle this year but avoiding as Musa's possible AA/ HE., Will still have 20 ish Friesian cattle

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Robson99

Why you getting away from the friesans Bass ??

Advertisement