Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop deleting threads!

Options
  • 13-08-2023 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Title says it. Who has sign off? Can't just be individual mods?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 g g murpho

Moderators are supposed to be impartial but they ain’t.

Unless you advocate driving 200 km/h whilst weaving and undertaking you’re not welcome on motors.

Unless you advocate giving teachers triple pay with an extra two months off you’re not welcome in the T&L forum.

If you dare say a cyclist was wrong even if they were, you’re not welcome in the cycling forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC if a thread starter is banned and their content deleted, that thread that they also started is deleted. it's part of how Vanilla works.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 g g murpho

I’ve seen threads from banned users still visible though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i think there's a difference between banning a user, and banning them and deleting their content (which is probably justified at times) - i've never banned a user so i'm familiar with the subtleties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

That's fair enough and I really appreciate you taking the effort to reply (I'm not being sarcastic! ).

It's just confuses me sometimes when a discussion is ongoing and all my posts are deleted and thread as well. Did I do something wrong?

• Advertisement

i've fallen to that too. threads i was contributing to which vanish; i think it's happened twice, and both times the thread starter was a low post count user with an opinion guaranteed to generate debate. so a probable re-reg of a banned user.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

It all depends on why the thread was deleted, it could be deleted for been a re-reg, it could also be a duplicate discussion so really you have to ask the mods of the specific forum for information on same.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you had done something wrong you would in all likelihood have received a warning notice.

As already mentioned, when we nuke a re-re troll we will also do a "delete all". Otherwise it gives the re-regs the oxygen they crave.

Only Admins should be doing that though. Mods should only be deleting threads from forums they moderate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You don't have to break a rule for a thread to be deleted. Just post a thread a mod doesn't like for whatever reason and it will often be closed or deleted.

Stay Free

Again threads deleted without mod reason. Why? If its against charter or just a mods opinion, tell us please.

• Advertisement

Yet again another thread deleted and scurrilous comments against my family. What are you hiding? I'm sure I can put in an foi request to retrieve them?

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well here's an example of a thread a mod did like (initially) which got closed 😁

Mod (not of that forum AFAIK) opens a very deeply stupid, to the point of trolling, thread. Gets a lot of pushback on their very silly posts, then runs off to the admins (not even the mod or cmod!) to get it closed to save them from further embarrassment.

I didn't know a thread had "run its course" just because the OP didn't get anyone to agree with them 🙄 and no non-mod would get away with making a post like that.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Shortly after posting here, my Tesla referral signature was deleted by Admin. Of course, mine seems to be the only one that was actually deleted. Coincidence I'm sure.

Stay Free

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

I already PM'd you about this issue last on the 17th of August. Why are you commenting on it here now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Dogshit website. Threads deleted. Posts deleted.

You wonder why bother with the effort.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

There are many references available to help users to keep within the rules when posting. The issue with threads being removed or edited and posts being removed or edited is where there is a breach of these rules. Posts made by a re-reg poster, or containing uncivil remarks, attacking the poster, whatever the comment is, it may incur an action like this. It really boils down to being as simple as that. It is impossible to moderate every single comment here on site and obviously the ones with the most reports receive the most attention. Some forums and threads are extremely busy and decisions are made in the moment, it is not impossible to think that when performing all of these moderation tasks in a busy environment that a mistake can be made. We are all human here after all.

To help us all stay "within the lines" everyone can refer to the terms and conditions that we agree to when signing up, The "stickied" forum charters at the top of every single forum containing all the relevant information and "local" rules relevant to the threads contained in that forum and also Mod posts in a thread or their edited to posts, OP's or otherwise throughout a thread.

My own rererral signature is the only one I am aware that had been deleted when last I checked the forum after you PMd me.

I commented here because another poster replied to me.

Rules are fine, but it is obvious to most people that mods delete posts and threads very often for spurious reasons where no rules have been broken. I created a thread about a recent fatal RTA earlier this month and commented on how the driver of a truck involved in he accident has to live with consequences of actions outside of his control. A mod/admin deleted it, citing that it was inappropriate or disrespectful to create the thread. Although I have seen dozens of similar threads discussing such accidents over the years, it is my thread that got his attention and not for the first time. Zero point in discussing with the mod, as it goes nowhere. No rules broken, but the thread was deleted anyway because the mod didn't like it. Can't bring it higher up, because the whole thing, including the comments from others was removed from the site.

Mods are undermining themselves every time they do this.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah this is hilarious, a supposed adult can't handle that a precious thread they started has become a point of ridicule, because it was plainly ridiculous - running off to the daddy admin and getting it shut down. Pathetic behaviour, both the thread starter (mod) and whatever jobsowrth admin closed the thread - when you see accusations of mod bias and wagon circling, this is what people mean.

No "normal user" would get such favours done for them, not a chance in hell.

I kinda like the idea of going back and seeing some of idiotic posts and going doh! Lesson learned and I'll put my hands up if I'm wrong.

Also I've crap memory. How am I supposed to reply to post if my original post is deleted because of somebody else. It ends up with needless squabbling that could have be sorted out with context. And I'd probably agree with them!

It does seem like threads/posts are deleted on a whim. Delete stuff, grand. Just give a reason and a decent one keeping the charter in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No one came running to the Admins, despite the wording in that last post

The thread was closed by a Region CMod

Oh! that's alright then! Nothing to see here at all, everything's rosy in the garden.

You always do this Beasty, a "gotcha" for the complainant to make the complaint go away, but absolutely nothing to say about the behaviour of the mod and their mate the "regional cmod".

As I said, no "normal" user would get this favour done for them by anyone in the heirarchy. That mod was definitely trolling in that thread, but no, the thread is closed after they have a little whinge about people pointing out how ridiculous they are being and no further action taken.

So how many times did you report the trolling?

Zero times, because other reports I've made recently, in another forum, have gone ignored, and the outcome on that thread shows what the outcome would have been anyway.

Another "gotcha" Beasty. And absolutely no reference to what actually happened.

Which is that a mod has become upset because a thread didn't go well for them, and they were ridiculed for a ridiculous post. Got their mates in the heirarchy (Cmod, Admin, whatever) to shut the thread down on a whim, and even when a CMod is looking at the thread - no action then either. Did the CMod just close the thread at the request of their mate the mod? Did they not look through the thread? How many other users would have the facility to post in a thread, or make a report or however they contacted the powers that be, to have a thread they don't like summarily shut down without even a note from the CMod/Admin doing the closing?

Anything in there to "gotcha" me about, or are you just not in the mood for answering questions?

Stock reply incoming.....

So you do not go through the relevant procedures, just come over here to try and make a big deal about the mod you claim was trolling

The poster in question is just that in that thread. They are not a mod of that forum.

The process is to discuss with a local mod via PM. Did you do that? After that try a CMod.

And no, I am not allowing posters to come over here to have a whinge about stuff they do not like if they are not prepared to go through the established processes to get attention to their concerns

Did the mod who got the thread closed go through established procedures? The answer to that is no, they had strings pulled because they were embarrassed, a facility open to no normal user.

Once again Beasty, you are hiding behind red tape to avoid answering legitimate questions. Gotcha!!!

What would you have me do now? Go and report the posts and wait for nothing to happen? Will I give it a week before coming back here? should I DM the CMod who summarily closed the thread and just accept the handwaving they come out with?

It's quite obvious what's going on here - you are abusing red tape and "procedure" in an attempted evasion of anyone daring to question a pretty nefarious incident.

No normal user would get this action done for them, so saying that this mod is just a user in that forum is not really true, now is it?

You love hiding away, apart from when you can slap people down. And that is standard procedure from you.

If I do go down the report/DM Cmod route I can almost guarantee the outcome of that - I'll be called a timewaster/timesink and again, nothing will be done to actually address the issue.

Nothing to see here, nothing happened, it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I do think mods hide behind the 'did you report it? defence, but then they don't need anyone to report the things that really annoy them.

I think mods should not really be interested in the forums that they moderate, because it's too easy to have favourites and be biased.

We're all adults. We all live in the real world and know that bias and bs is in everything. Boards is no different, but the thing is to try as best you can to limit the bias and bs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If they have no interest in the forum, why would they moderate it or spend any time in it? It makes more sense that they have an understanding of the topic they are moderating.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Perhaps the problem is that the relevant procedure isn't working?

• Advertisement

Not only that, but a select few can short-circuit the "procedure" and whinge about something to get it summarily shut down.

I reported posts in another forum what were very obviously shilling, and verging in trolling. Zero done. And it's pretty obvious why too.

There is definitely a "them and us" thing now, with the mods and other people associated with the heirarchy allowed to do things, get away with things, outside of "procedure" and the way to shut down complaints and feedback about it is to tell the "them" to follow procedure.

Advertisement